Menu

So, what are YOU reading...

I'm currently trying to read my way through all of the Man Booker Prize winners (Britain's Major Literary Prize) I began with the 1969 award winners and nominees and am working my way through the list. I have just recently started the 1976 list beginning with David Storey's novel Saville. I got this idea to read all these award winners when I was browsing Amazon one day looking for something to read. I noticed in their side bar they had an award winner category. So I started browsing the different lists and came up with the idea of reading all the Booker awards and I have been having great fun doing so and meeting great authors like my favorite Iris Murdoch. I was telling another mother about this and she said that there is a Booker Yahoo group where they pick different Booker books to read each month. I was thinking about joining but I belong to so many Yahoo groups already I decided not to join.

I'm starting to think that reading through major award lists is a popular thing to do these days. Yesterday I received my new issue of Entertainment Weekly. The cover story was about what to do during the writers strike and everything is in repeats on television. One of the reviewers wrote that her and her friend just recently started the Pulitzer Prize Book Club. They started with the 1917 winner and are working their way to 2008.

Blessings

Zoraida

The Fellowship of the Ring again, The Writer's Jungle by Julie Bogart, just finished What's So Great About Christianity? by Dinesh D'Souza. My husband just finished Mornings on Horseback by David McCollough, and I want to read that, too! However, when I finally get a chance to read for fun, it's 9:30 at night and I fall asleep after the first few pages! I'm also studying for the GRE in March, so that's taking up the little spare time I have!

Just led a discussion/activity for my daughter's Tween Book Club on The Mouse & the Motorcycle (by Beverly Cleary) on Monday night & then discussed The Zookeeper's Wife (true story about a Polish family during WWII) with my own book group on Tuesday night. Quite a contrast in both reading level and subject matter, but I enjoyed both!

I also just finished Northhanger Abbey (by Jane Austen) and Strong Poison (by Dorothy Sayers.) Currently I'm reading Have His Carcass by Sayers, despite the awful title! Gaudy Night is the 3rd book in this particular Sayer's series about Harriet Vance & so that is next on my list, along with the Thirteenth Tale for my book group. Also, I'm about 2/3 of the way through Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire and have just started a devotional (?) book/novel called The Shack.

--Dawn

I am reading 'A Hundred Secret Senses' by Amy Tan. I normally read old classics but I am really enjoying this.

The Hundred Secret Senses is my favorite Amy Tan book! I had to read it twice to "get it" but I enjoyed both times! Isn't Kwan funny? (I met Amy Tan and she autographed my copy!) Saving Fish from Drowning is a good Amy Tan book, too, and is especially interesting reading in light of Burma's recent re-emergence in the news.

I think it's a shame that so many high schools have their students read the Joy Luck Club when Tan has superior books out....