Menu

Dealing with the school vent

HomeAgain

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

When ds went into brick & mortar at the private school they did a placement test. I believe he did this both times… homeschool to 3rd grade then homeschool to 7th grade. They said keep going til it’s too hard. He stopped a couple grade levels above his for math at least one of those placement tests (part of the reason I was so frustrated he didn’t go into preAlg when it was his homeschool path. Can’t remember if this happened for third and 7th but I know he did well on both placement tests). They only move kids to a higher grade if it’s more extreme (can’t remember if it was reading level specific or not) partly for social reasons. Anyway it’s possible the school has an existing test. 

Yes, I think most schools have a test identified for placement. I was responding to a poster's suggestion that he would be moved when they saw from his work that he was placed incorrectly, presumably as the semester progressed and the faculty became aware that he was not at the proper level. In *my* local school, there seem to be policies in place that would make that unlikely.

31 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Yes, I think most schools have a test identified for placement. I was responding to a poster's suggestion that he would be moved when they saw from his work that he was placed incorrectly, presumably as the semester progressed and the faculty became aware that he was not at the proper level. In *my* local school, there seem to be policies in place that would make that unlikely.

Since it was time sensitive to move the kid, I figured maybe a placement test would act as a substitute for waiting and seeing his math ability? Or maybe they even have an "end of year" test for the remedial class and he could prove that it was too easy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

We should have taken better heed of advice when ds was little.  I took a very thorough tour of a lovely private school.  It was a full day almost, and was such a wonderful atmosphere for learning that I really wanted to send ds.  The principal gently told me they had nothing to offer this particular kid.  I could send him, but he wouldn't get what he needed.  If I could teach him at home I should, and if I couldn't then yes, this was a good second choice, but a much lower second choice.  I left sadly, but very impressed with a principal who knew how to support his teachers and students in whatever was best.

DS has been given the two plans.  We went to orientation yesterday and he was mildly impressed.  I was not.  20 minute lunches, looped schedules, and not one class that will challenge him are in my radar.  DS saw lockers and popsicles and a Chromebook.😄 He thinks that part is cool.  There is a lot to weigh - a lonely year at home because I don't have the time for intensive work with him, or a social year where he learns nothing.

That is such a tough decision!  I am sorry you are in this predicament.  The "social" part is the only thing I think my children miss and would benefit from by being in a school.  I know there are many ways for children to socialize outside of school, but for us, it all costs money.  We don't have a big homeschool community, though I know a few, and we still do things much differently from them anyway.  Math is a biggie for me, though.  Once on a track in a school system, aren't you kinda stuck there?  Make sure he knows the chromebooks are rentals and get turned back in?!  lol  That might deter him.

33 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Since it was time sensitive to move the kid, I figured maybe a placement test would act as a substitute for waiting and seeing his math ability? Or maybe they even have an "end of year" test for the remedial class and he could prove that it was too easy. 

Ah, I totally agree with you.

I would make sure it's clear to him that the school *won't* let him twiddle his thumbs for the year. Every single class will give him BS assignments (which he will find at times ridiculously childish) and then will punish him if he doesn't complete them thoroughly and neatly (poor grades, potentially detentions, suspensions from extracurriculars that are school-based, potentially even moving him to a lower level because they will say they place by achievement rather than ability). If he tends to be a really good sport about that kind of thing and will do all their silly little assignments perfectly and make their hearts happy, great, maybe you can just do a little afterschooling and make heavy use of the library. (I, um, was not great about it in that age range, and learned terrible work habits in PS.)

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

That is such a tough decision!  I am sorry you are in this predicament.  The "social" part is the only thing I think my children miss and would benefit from by being in a school.  I know there are many ways for children to socialize outside of school, but for us, it all costs money.  We don't have a big homeschool community, though I know a few, and we still do things much differently from them anyway.  Math is a biggie for me, though.  Once on a track in a school system, aren't you kinda stuck there?  Make sure he knows the chromebooks are rentals and get turned back in?!  lol  That might deter him.

In our school district, they can put stickers, etc on their chromebooks and keep them over the summer. They only get turned back in if they move out of district (though I've heard rumors that if youv'e had the chromebook for three years they just let you keep it even then)

5 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

In our school district, they can put stickers, etc on their chromebooks and keep them over the summer. They only get turned back in if they move out of district (though I've heard rumors that if youv'e had the chromebook for three years they just let you keep it even then)

Oh wow!  Well, technology tends to advance quickly anyway.  

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Are there any hybrid schools in your area that you could make work? I swear, I think I'm more invested in what your son ends up doing for math than I am my own 7th grader's math, lol!

We have one hybrid.  If I wasn't raised Catholic, he would be welcome there.  The SoF prohibits Catholics, Mormons, etc.  I would have made the drive if there wasn't that niggling point.  I swear, I scoured the county, and the next county, for schools for him.  There were 3 possibilities. and it is now too late for the other 2.  He's on a waitlist for another in the next county that we knew was a long shot to get in, but it would have been something that we'd pull him from this school if it turned out he get a place. (He's number 52).  He missed applying for a merit scholarship (full ride) at another school due to covid quarantine during the exam last winter.  The three this summer were last options and we went with the one that promised a fit and stopped pursuing the matter elsewhere.

DS is weighing options.  I showed him each of the programs I picked out/what his day would look like and the standards for each class/what grade 7 will cover in school. He wasn't impressed with the latter. He was a little worried about the physical science portion until I made him realize it's physical science principles for 5 weeks and not physics (with math) crammed into 5 weeks.  He didn't know science was weekly for the other kids until this point and this is their first go.  We've explained our concerns, but ultimately he has to choose.  He is starting to realize that the math is very much not going to work, though.

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

We have one hybrid.  If I wasn't raised Catholic, he would be welcome there.  The SoF prohibits Catholics, Mormons, etc.  I would have made the drive if there wasn't that niggling point.  I swear, I scoured the county, and the next county, for schools for him.  There were 3 possibilities. and it is now too late for the other 2.  He's on a waitlist for another in the next county that we knew was a long shot to get in, but it would have been something that we'd pull him from this school if it turned out he get a place. (He's number 52).  He missed applying for a merit scholarship (full ride) at another school due to covid quarantine during the exam last winter.  The three this summer were last options and we went with the one that promised a fit and stopped pursuing the matter elsewhere.

DS is weighing options.  I showed him each of the programs I picked out/what his day would look like and the standards for each class/what grade 7 will cover in school. He wasn't impressed with the latter. He was a little worried about the physical science portion until I made him realize it's physical science principles for 5 weeks and not physics (with math) crammed into 5 weeks.  He didn't know science was weekly for the other kids until this point and this is their first go.  We've explained our concerns, but ultimately he has to choose.  He is starting to realize that the math is very much not going to work, though.

They forbid anyone who has a parent that was raised Catholic? I know technically I’m still considered Catholic because I was baptized, confirmed, etc, but I would never mark Catholic on any form asking about it as I haven’t practiced in over 25 years. Now personally, I wouldn’t choose such a school no matter how good of an academic fit it was otherwise, but it sounds like you would. So I’d go for that one.

Edited by Frances

3 hours ago, Frances said:

They forbid anyone who has a parent that was raised Catholic? I know technically I’m still considered Catholic because I was baptized, confirmed, etc, but I would never mark Catholic on any form asking about it as I haven’t practiced in over 25 years. Now personally, I wouldn’t choose such a school no matter how good of an academic fit it was otherwise, but it sounds like you would. So I’d go for that one.

Maybe the school teachings are anti Catholic etc? I wouldn’t mark the child as Catholic unless I was raising them that way. I’m not keen on ABeka which has some anti Catholic stuff (upper grade history) but my son claims his teachers are very accepting of various denominations and doesn’t seem to think he’s been taught anything negative. I have no idea, though. 

Edited by heartlikealion

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Maybe the school teachings are anti Catholic etc? I wouldn’t mark the child as Catholic unless I was raising them that way. I’m not keen on ABeka which has some anti Catholic stuff (upper grade history) but my son claims his teachers are very accepting of various denominations and doesn’t seem to think he’s been taught anything negative. I have no idea, though. 

It wouldn’t matter to me whether the teachings are anti-Catholic or not. Any place that requires a statement of faith and excludes certain groups of Christians would be a huge no for me regardless of what was or wasn’t taught or the level of academics or anything else.

But it sounds like it could be a great academic fit for the OP’s son and that she doesn’t have a problem with the requirements, she just thinks they don’t meet them? Which I’m honestly not really understanding. Tons of people were raised Catholic, but no longer practice. It would seem pretty extreme to not allow children of former, non-practicing Catholics or Mormons if they are willing to sign a statement of faith. Do they require excommunication or formal defection or joining one of their approved denominations?

Edited by Frances

5 hours ago, Frances said:

It wouldn’t matter to me whether the teachings are anti-Catholic or not. Any place that requires a statement of faith and excludes certain groups of Christians would be a huge no for me regardless of what was or wasn’t taught or the level of academics or anything else.

But it sounds like it could be a great academic fit for the OP’s son and that she doesn’t have a problem with the requirements, she just thinks they don’t meet them? Which I’m honestly not really understanding. Tons of people were raised Catholic, but no longer practice. It would seem pretty extreme to not allow children of former, non-practicing Catholics or Mormons if they are willing to sign a statement of faith. Do they require excommunication or formal defection or joining one of their approved denominations?

She didn’t say they had to sign a statement of faith but yes that’s probably a requirement. I run from those things most of the time. I hate them. I had to sign for one homeschool group and a crisis pregnancy center had one for all staff/volunteers. I told her I couldn’t sign it (was not in line with Catholicism and even had stuff about gender which didn’t sit well with me). 

She might meet the requirements there. Not sure if they care about parents’ past. They are asking about the child, right? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 1:10 PM, HomeAgain said:

...DS would rather stay home.  Dh and I will both be full time students again this fall and I don't have the luxury of doing teacher-intensive work with my own kid...

One last thought, and it is radical, BUT, could you and DH back down on YOUR student hours to both take turns being more available for homeschooling DS for one last year? Or even for the fall semester, until one of the other 2 schools on your list might be an option for the spring semester?

• Like 1