Menu

New to after schooling

I tried to piggyback as much onto whatever was assigned in school as possible.  So, if an essay was assigned, I'd use that opportunity to teach writing in the context of that particular assignment.  I used math homework to reteach anything that needed to be retaught and I made sure my son did every problem properly.  I was able to do this with math because my son was properly placed in math at school.  If he needed extra challenge, I would have done something different.

As for new material, I continued to read aloud every day both fiction and nonfiction.  I don't think my son knew that this part was afterschooling because it was just something we had been enjoying together his whole life.  In fact, he and I read aloud together until he graduated from high school, and it is a cherished memory for both of us.

• Thanks 1

I have afterschooled my older kids, and I try to do things that are really different than school and that key into their interests.

In our family, that has looked like big, long-term projects like History Fair and Math Fair (like science fair, but for history and math). I've also provided them with online foreign language partners so they can actually learn the language.

Emily