Menu

Another question for you re: sock liners/ankle boots

sheryl

I have a few pairs of ankle boots (aka shooties by some).  They are the semi-chunky ankle boot style (not Freebird though) but think Frye, Madewell, etc.  

I will say the 7 1/2 fit just right without a sock liner. I've tried 8 1/2 and 8's but they are too big.  These shooties each have a small stacked heel about 2" in height.  So, with the heel I had to go down to 7 1/2 and it's a nice fit for all of them.  I tried putting on my thin, cotton ankle shoe liner and the shoes are ok but definitely a little more snug.  Not sure about wearing for a day with a "more snug" fit.  

Are these shoes supposed to be worn with "no show" shoe liners?  If so, I may have to return.  Leather stretches but not sure I can bank on that.  Cotton no show liner, thin gauge?  Maybe a "hose" footie - if I can find one?  Or, natural - no liners?

I should add if natural I'd rather not "stick" to the interior.  Ideas?  Below are similar styles to what I have.

Lucky Brand Myndo Leather Shooties | Dillard's (dillards.com)

Women's Brady Lowcut Bootie | Madewell

Edited by sheryl

Thanks to the 3 of you!   Yes, as Arcadia mentioned these are no show liners that basically cover just the sole of the foot and barely grip up 1/4" maybe.  But, you're saying no to the liners (not socks).  ?  I'm not worried though about odor but about sticking (skin sticking to inside).  So, I can wear these year round?  No liners?

FWIW, it took probably 10 or so wears or the leather Lucky boots to mold to my feet. Mine had a stiff heel cup and not quite enough width across my mid-foot. Once they were broken in, they have been buttery smooth and delightful to wear.  I do condition my leather boots a few times a year to keep them buttery.  If you don't have a good conditioner, I do recommend it.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I'm not worried though about odor but about sticking (skin sticking to inside).  So, I can wear these year round?  No liners?

I do use moisturizers for my feet, especially when I know I would be walking and/or standing a lot. However, aquaphor/vaseline on the interior side of your boots would work just as well until your boots are broken in.

I am scared of cold so I won’t be able to wear those styles year round, but they definitely can be worn year round without liners.

35 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I do use moisturizers for my feet, especially when I know I would be walking and/or standing a lot. However, aquaphor/vaseline on the interior side of your boots would work just as well until your boots are broken in.

I am scared of cold so I won’t be able to wear those styles year round, but they definitely can be worn year round without liners.

Thanks for that!  

13 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

If you go on Amazon and search “no show just toes” there are sock styles that just cover the toes/ball of the foot, leaving the side ankle and heel bare. That might work for your shoes. 

Yes, I did see those.  Interesting style.  Thanks!

21 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

FWIW, it took probably 10 or so wears or the leather Lucky boots to mold to my feet. Mine had a stiff heel cup and not quite enough width across my mid-foot. Once they were broken in, they have been buttery smooth and delightful to wear.  I do condition my leather boots a few times a year to keep them buttery.  If you don't have a good conditioner, I do recommend it.

What conditioner do you use on your boots?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kanin said:

I wear either Darn Tough or Smartwool no-show socks. They are awesome and the wool is way better than cotton. 

Darn Tough: https://darntough.com/collections/womens-no-show

I wouldn't wear them with the examples you gave because they would show. If they wouldn't show in your boots, get 'em! They're the best. 🙂 

Does the wool wick the moisture away.  We're in the s.e. where it gets hot!  Thanks for your suggestion.

19 hours ago, Kanin said:

I wear either Darn Tough or Smartwool no-show socks. They are awesome and the wool is way better than cotton. 

Darn Tough: https://darntough.com/collections/womens-no-show

I wouldn't wear them with the examples you gave because they would show. If they wouldn't show in your boots, get 'em! They're the best. 🙂 

Seconding these two recommendations.  They are both high quality.  

• Thanks 1