Menu

I'm now a K-drama addict...

Jann in TX

On 5/31/2024 at 8:31 AM, Vintage81 said:

I watched Lovers of the Red Sky (on Viki). It was okay, but the ending made me mad. They wrapped up the main story line with the couple, but literally ended on a battle scene and didn't finish it. Why even invest in side storylines if you're just going to leave the audience hanging. 😤 Also, the special effects weren't the best, but I did enjoy the folklore part of the story. 

Was it a movie or a series?  I’ve only watched 1 kmovie that didn’t have a non-ending ending. Drives me nuts. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need suggestions for a new one to watch that is available on Netflix or Hulu. I like contemporary kdramas without supernatural themes, which eliminates a lot of them. Preferably somewhat light and fluffy; this is my escape TV when I need it. Some I’ve enjoyed: Welcome to Sam dal-ri, Doctor Slump, Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha, Attorney Woo. Open to C-dramas and J-dramas as well—I’ve liked the couple I’ve seen.

Any new ideas for me?

I'm currently re-watching Call it Love (Netflix)-- I forgot how good it was (but it is not light and fluffy)... 

Have you seen Heirs? Crash Landing on You?  Those are 2 oldies but goodies!

Top pick would be Business Proposal...

26 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I just started Dream High (2011 on viki). It’s got so many newbie actors that went on to be huge.  It’s crazy super eye-roll cheesy cringe-worthy.  We are loving it. 

YES!  Very cringy but so much fun to see current favorites as babies!

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Was it a movie or a series?  I’ve only watched 1 kmovie that didn’t have a non-ending ending. Drives me nuts. 

It was a series. The lead actors were Ahn Hyo Seop (from Business Proposal) and Kim You Jung (from My Demon). I mean both actors have been in many other things, but I'd never heard of this show...I had just been perusing through Viki and found it.

24 minutes ago, KSera said:

I need suggestions for a new one to watch that is available on Netflix or Hulu. I like contemporary kdramas without supernatural themes, which eliminates a lot of them. Preferably somewhat light and fluffy; this is my escape TV when I need it. Some I’ve enjoyed: Welcome to Sam dal-ri, Doctor Slump, Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha, Attorney Woo. Open to C-dramas and J-dramas as well—I’ve liked the couple I’ve seen.

Any new ideas for me?

Cinderella and the Four Knights

Once Upon a Small Town

Run On

A Love So Beautiful

My First First Love (2 seasons)

Her Private Life

Touch Your Heart (not sure this one is on Netflix anymore)

King the Land

Castaway Diva

It's been a while since I've seen some of these, so I don't remember if there were any crazy plot lines. Definitely nothing supernatural/folklore type stuff. 

33 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

Always!! ☺️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

I watched and enjoyed that one. But you’re in the right vein…

Just now, Vintage81 said:

Cinderella and the Four Knights

Once Upon a Small Town

Run On

A Love So Beautiful

My First First Love (2 seasons)

Her Private Life

Touch Your Heart (not sure this one is on Netflix anymore)

King the Land

Castaway Diva

It's been a while since I've seen some of these, so I don't remember if there were any crazy plot lines. Definitely nothing supernatural/folklore type stuff. 

Always!! ☺️

I’ve seen Run On and Love so Beautiful. I started Cinderella and Small Town both and didn’t get into them. Maybe I’ll try again. I find some shows take a couple episodes. I don’t think I’ve tried My First First Love. That might be a good choice for me. Especially with two seasons to last me awhile. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KSera said:

Any new ideas for me?

Netflix:

Dr Cha

Love to Hate You 

Dream (movie)

Crash Course in Romance

Vincenzo

Hulu:

What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim

So I Married an Anti-Fan

Woori the Virgin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I finished The Good Bad Mother. I really liked this one although it was difficult to watch at times. I don’t know if this was a cultural thing but the relationship between mother and son seemed to go beyond tough love. To me it was somewhat abusive at times.

The mother was a complex character though. She cared very deeply for her son, but she also experienced a lot of trauma in her life. I’m not trying to excuse her abusive behavior, but she obviously needed help and never received it. 

Lee Do-hyun (who played the son Kang-ho) was excellent in this show. This was the first show I’ve watched with him and I’m a big fan now. The kiddos who played the twins were so cute and every scene they had with Kang-ho warmed my heart. The romance was subtle but very good. The actress who played Mi-joo was also very good. The villagers weren’t my favorite, they were just okay. 

The ending felt a bit rushed. This show was only 14 episodes, which was a strange number. I think an extra two would have been useful. 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 11:40 AM, KSera said:

Any new ideas for me?

I have a whole list of Cdramas when you're ready, but to not overwhelm I'll just give you the K and Jdramas I've watched. I also need to filter my Cdramas and take out the supernatural ones. Supernatural as in ghosts (I don't watch those), gods, demons, or just any magic type elements like in many martial arts genre (ie, wuxia), flying through the air, etc?

Doona (Kdrama)

Bloodhounds (Kdrama)

House of Ninjas (Jdrama) - I hope they add more episodes soon.

I've also watched a few Japanese movies.

I'm currently re-watching a couple of Cdramas: Prince of Tennis with Language Reactor on Netflix (pinyin, hanzi, English subtitles), and Falling for Your Smile with just the hanzi. I've actually JUST finished watching FfYS, it's so cheesy, but decided to watch again for immersion sake and pay more attention to the expressions and hanzi. And I realized that Xu Kai actually wasn't such a great actor in this one. But I like him anyway. I also just finished re-watching Handsome Siblings; I like the plot on this one. There is subtle romance (we know who likes who, but they never touch), and not too cheesy.

I started rewatching dramas because I couldn't figure out a new one I wanted to see. I started watching Two Fathers, but took a break after episode 18. There are 73 altogether... I seem to be on a gaming/sports kick right now, so will probably start Everyone Loves Me as a gaming one I haven't seen yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Renai said:

Supernatural as in ghosts (I don't watch those), gods, demons, or just any magic type elements like in many martial arts genre (ie, wuxia), flying through the air, etc?

Hmm, I don’t know if the flying through the air stuff would be a problem or not. Maybe not. I just can’t get into any of the ones that are ghosts, demons, supernatural abilities (psychic), reincarnation, all of that. No moral objection or anything, just not my thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Hmm, I don’t know if the flying through the air stuff would be a problem or not. Maybe not. I just can’t get into any of the ones that are ghosts, demons, supernatural abilities (psychic), reincarnation, all of that. No moral objection or anything, just not my thing. 

I don't watch those things either. Oh, well now then, you asked for it 😂. These are all Cdramas, mostly on Netflix unless otherwise noted. I just counted, I've watched 10 of these more than once! I'm such a sucker. 😅

Modern

• Meteor Garden (with Dylan Wang) was the first I watched with my daughter.
  • Accidentally in Love - my 13yo daughter's favorite
  • The Perfect Match (Taiwanese, Wu Kang-Ren)
  • Use For My Talent
  • Mom, Don't Do That! (Wu Kang-Ren) - not for kids, adult humor
  • Take My Brother Away
  • The Legend of Bruce Lee
  • Triad Princess
  • Flavorful Origins - not a drama. More like a documentary of different cuisines in various places in China. 10-13 minute episodes
  • Falling Into Your Smile (Xu Kai)
  • King's Avatar (Yang Yang) - another gaming one, no romance!
  • Office Girls (Taiwanese)
  • (Viki) Arsenal Military Academy (Xu Kai)
  • Well-Intended Love
  • The Prince of Tennis
  • Love 020 (Yang Yang)
  • Hidden Love
  • Everyone Wants to Meet You (Zhang Zhehan)
  • She and Her Perfect Husband (Xu Kai)
  • Autumn’s Concerto (Wu Kang ren)
  • Medical Examiner: Dr. Qin (on Viki)
  • Two Fathers (haven't finished)
  • Miss Shampoo (movie, Taiwanese)

Epics

• Rise of the Phoenixes (Chen Sun) was the first I watched. Liked it until the end. Then I hated the whole thing.
  • Once Upon a Time on Lingjian Mountain (Xu Kai)
  • Handsome Siblings
  • (on iQiYi) Lost in Kunlun Mountains (Xu Kai)
  • (Viki) The Legends (Xu Kai)
  • Story of Yanxi Palace (Xu Kai) - started it a while back but haven't finished.
  • Word of Honor (Zhang Zhehan)
  • Who Rules the World (Yang Yang)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Renai said:

...These are all Cdramas, mostly on Netflix unless otherwise noted. I just counted, I've watched 10 of these more than once! I'm such a sucker. 😅

I've watched 2 on the list:

Falling into Your Smile (twice!)

Hidden Love (will probably watch again).

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 8:28 AM, Vintage81 said:

Now I'm definitely going to have to watch this one! 

Okay…finished Lovely Runner. I think this couple might be the cutest couple in a k-drama I’ve seen! So adorable. Byeon Woo-Seok sure does have those swooney looks down perfectly. 😍 

The supporting cast were all really good too. I usually hate love triangles, but I have to say that Song Geon-Hee was awesome and adorable. 

The ending was great! 

Time travel is hard to pull off and if I really think hard about it, I’ll come up with about a hundred questions. However, the couple was just too cute, so I don’t really care. 🤣

One thing I was curious about was the grandma. I wish they would’ve explained her more. I found this article with some interesting information (there’s also a link to a twitter thread in it that’s good too)….https://www.dexerto.com/k-drama/lovely-runner-fans-have-wild-three-dots-theory-about-im-sols-grandmother-2749663/

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 11:30 PM, Vintage81 said:

I finished The Good Bad Mother. I really liked this one although it was difficult to watch at times. I don’t know if this was a cultural thing but the relationship between mother and son seemed to go beyond tough love. To me it was somewhat abusive at times.

The mother was a complex character though. She cared very deeply for her son, but she also experienced a lot of trauma in her life. I’m not trying to excuse her abusive behavior, but she obviously needed help and never received it. 

Lee Do-hyun (who played the son Kang-ho) was excellent in this show. This was the first show I’ve watched with him and I’m a big fan now. The kiddos who played the twins were so cute and every scene they had with Kang-ho warmed my heart. The romance was subtle but very good. The actress who played Mi-joo was also very good. The villagers weren’t my favorite, they were just okay. 

The ending felt a bit rushed. This show was only 14 episodes, which was a strange number. I think an extra two would have been useful. 

I loved this show bc of the mother relationship and that bc of his hardships her son was able to see her as a whole person instead of just a “bad” mother. 

I thought she was a woman loving her son through abusively hard times doing the best she could for him.  And when he is living with her - she didn’t have the luxury of time with either.  She was desperate for him. desperation rarely makes for warm fuzzies either.  The title was perfect. A Good Bad Mother.

He is crazy good in The Glory too. I’m hoping to get a part two of his story to that one.   But the Glory is a lot harder to watch than Good Bad Mother, so be forewarned.  The dad in that show is amazing too. For the longest time after it came out my feeds were filled with “aww juicy” word plays about him. And I totally agreed. 😆

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

Okay…finished Lovely Runner. I think this couple might be the cutest couple in a k-drama I’ve seen! So adorable. Byeon Woo-Seok sure does have those swooney looks down perfectly. 😍 

The supporting cast were all really good too. I usually hate love triangles, but I have to say that Song Geon-Hee was awesome and adorable. 

The ending was great! 

Time travel is hard to pull off and if I really think hard about it, I’ll come up with about a hundred questions. However, the couple was just too cute, so I don’t really care. 🤣

One thing I was curious about was the grandma. I wish they would’ve explained her more. I found this article with some interesting information (there’s also a link to a twitter thread in it that’s good too)….https://www.dexerto.com/k-drama/lovely-runner-fans-have-wild-three-dots-theory-about-im-sols-grandmother-2749663/

I really enjoyed Lovely Runner. It somehow managed to be rollicking funny and heart pulling at the same time. And the entire cast was fabulous together. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

He is crazy good in The Glory too. I’m hoping to get a part two of his story to that one.   But the Glory is a lot harder to watch than Good Bad Mother, so be forewarned.  The dad in that show is amazing too. For the longest time after it came out my feeds were filled with “aww juicy” word plays about him. And I totally agreed. 😆

The Glory has been on my radar. (Now that I’m more familiar with Lee Do-hyun makes me want to watch it even more.) I think both seasons are on Netflix (maybe?). I feel like I need to gear up for it, so maybe a few more light and fluffy shows and then I’ll give it a try. 🤣

On 6/8/2024 at 11:24 AM, Vintage81 said:

The Glory has been on my radar. (Now that I’m more familiar with Lee Do-hyun makes me want to watch it even more.) I think both seasons are on Netflix (maybe?). I feel like I need to gear up for it, so maybe a few more light and fluffy shows and then I’ll give it a try. 🤣

DH watched The Glory-- he liked it but has asked me NOT to watch it-- he thinks it contains too many triggers (my past traumas)...  Still I'm curious...

• Like 1

Now that I have my Viki Pass 🤩 I'm going through and finding shows that I've always wanted to watch...

I just finished True Beauty. I really liked the first 14 episodes of this show. But then..... 

I think my disdain for love triangles is pretty well documented in this thread. 🤣 Those last two episodes were painful. OH...EMMM...GEEE!!! Honestly, and maybe this is a controversial take, but I kind of wanted her to end up with the other guy. I know in k-dramaland that destiny/fate is usually predetermined in episode 1, BUT STILL. 

Anywho, the first 14 episodes were still pretty fun. ☺️ On to the next! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I think my disdain for love triangles is pretty well documented in this thread. 🤣 Those last two episodes were painful. OH...EMMM...GEEE!!! Honestly, and maybe this is a controversial take, but I kind of wanted her to end up with the other guy. I know in k-dramaland that destiny/fate is usually predetermined in episode 1, BUT STILL. 

Its called '2nd Lead Syndrome'...  and I totally agree with you-- he would have been my pick too (but then again I married my "2nd Lead"!).

I also love that Viki is so easy to download for off-line viewing-- any time I have a flight or long car ride I download a few episodes...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

It’s called '2nd Lead Syndrome'...  and I totally agree with you-- he would have been my pick too (but then again I married my "2nd Lead"!).

Well, I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels that way!! ☺️ 

On 6/13/2024 at 10:12 AM, Vintage81 said:

Now that I have my Viki Pass 🤩 I'm going through and finding shows that I've always wanted to watch...

I just finished True Beauty. I really liked the first 14 episodes of this show. But then..... 

Anywho, the first 14 episodes were still pretty fun. ☺️ On to the next! 

No you aren’t alone! Lots of people agree with you. Me included. 

• Like 2

Finished watching Sh**ting Stars. This one was really cute. I liked the main couple a lot and most of the supporting cast. (There was one secondary couple that was a bit annoying though.)

I don't know how accurate it was, but I liked the behind the scenes look into how things are for actors/idols. It makes me feel sad for them, even though I know they choose the job. It's kind of a weird coincidence, but the last three shows I've watched (Lovely Runner, True Beauty, and this one) all had storylines dealing with idols committing suicide. I'm glad these dramas are bringing up such an important topic, although I'm not sure any changes have yet been made in the industry. 

On 6/19/2024 at 9:15 AM, Vintage81 said:

Finished watching Sh**ting Stars. This one was really cute. I liked the main couple a lot and most of the supporting cast. (There was one secondary couple that was a bit annoying though.)

I don't know how accurate it was, but I liked the behind the scenes look into how things are for actors/idols. It makes me feel sad for them, even though I know they choose the job. It's kind of a weird coincidence, but the last three shows I've watched (Lovely Runner, True Beauty, and this one) all had storylines dealing with idols committing suicide. I'm glad these dramas are bringing up such an important topic, although I'm not sure any changes have yet been made in the industry. 

Change is always a slow painful process but I am seeing signs that change is happening. If you watch the Korean news - like real news, not tabloids - I’m seeing things that didn’t happen before.

And to be clear - idols are just people and the suicide rate due to sheer loneliness is really high in Korea. 

• Like 1

Now on to the pleasant side of things. 

I just finished watching a Japanese K-drama and I really enjoyed it. It’s got some moderately famous Korean actor as the ML who lives in Japan and falls in love with a female CEO there. 10 episodes on Viki.  ETA actual name of drama. LOL. Eye Love You (viki)

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

Change is always a slow painful process but I am seeing signs that change is happening. If you watch the Korean news - like real news, not tabloids - I’m seeing things that didn’t happen before.

And to be clear - idols are just people and the suicide rate due to sheer loneliness is really high in Korea. 

I’m glad to hear that change is happening, even if it’s slow. 

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

I’ve been glad to see *less* suicide focus in the more recent kdramas I’ve watched, and what to me appears to be an attempt to course correct in the way they had previously been largely using the subject— shows where they are explicitly showing healthier outlooks and coping mechanisms and visiting mental health professionals rather than people running to a bridge at the first sign of a problem in their life. Suicidality has such a known high contagion level and the way the shows have dealt with the topic in so many of the shows as in my opinion made the problem worse, rather than better. So I’m hoping that the tide is changing and they will have fewer characters committing suicide and more seeking help and modeling better coping mechanisms. 

I’m currently watching Summer Strike on Netflix and I don’t know if I have seen that one discussed here, but it’s been a surprise hit for me. The mystery side story is more gritty than I expected, but the primary relationship is so sweet. I really like these characters. I have no idea how they’re going to wrap it up well in just one more episode though. Im a bit worried that’s going to be disappointing.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 7:45 AM, Murphy101 said:

I just finished a c-drama that I actually liked.

Dating in the Kitchen. (Viki)

Thanks for recommending this. I started it yesterday, and for the first time have been hooked from the first episode. So many start so slowly I begin to question my life. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Renai said:

Thanks for recommending this. I started it yesterday, and for the first time have been hooked from the first episode. So many start so slowly I begin to question my life. 😅

Questioning briefly repeatedly many times here too. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KSera said:

I’m currently watching Summer Strike on Netflix and I don’t know if I have seen that one discussed here, but it’s been a surprise hit for me. The mystery side story is more gritty than I expected, but the primary relationship is so sweet. I really like these characters. I have no idea how they’re going to wrap it up well in just one more episode though. Im a bit worried that’s going to be disappointing.

Let me know how it goes! It’s been in my watchlist forever.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 9:45 PM, Murphy101 said:

Let me know how it goes! It’s been in my watchlist forever.

I enjoyed the series a lot, but wish the last episode had been done differently. It was one of those where they basically use it to tie up all the ends and tell you what happened next with everyone--I'd rather see it unfold than have the narration with scenes being shown kind of thing. I think it needed another episode or two to wrap up properly. I thought the show was sweet though (mystery part not so sweet at all, but the characters were). I just would have liked to see a little more of what happens next with the main characters.

• Like 2

We finished Cheer Up.(viki)  dd15 gave it 10 stars. 

I finished the Beauty Inside (kocowa) and it was so-so. 

We watched Secret Zoo (movie on Prime) and the show was typical Kmovie  - cute until the last 15 minutes when suddenly it ends not really telling you how it ends or tying up loose ends.  So it got a solid “meh” from most of us.

• Like 1

I watched Casting a Spell to You (on Viki). I think @Jann in TX mentioned this one a while back, so I checked it out.

I was going to give up on it after the first two episodes, but decided to give it a few more and I'm glad I did. It was pretty good. Nothing too deep or anything. The couple was pretty cute and I liked most of the supporting cast (with the exception of one character who was super annoying). I wish the conflict between the couple was shorter/fewer episodes, but it was fine. It had a decent ending.

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 2

I just finished Joseon Attorney: A Morality (kocowa) and liked it.  I hadn’t watched a historical setting in a while bc I seems like every single one of them is about love betrayed and the FL is always trying to pass as a man, usually an eunuch.  This one is not that and I really enjoyed it. It was cute and gruesome and sad and has a happy enough ending. 

On 6/15/2024 at 7:45 AM, Murphy101 said:

I just finished a c-drama that I actually liked.

Dating in the Kitchen. (Viki)

On 6/20/2024 at 8:16 PM, Renai said:

Just finished the last episode. It was really sweet; I liked it. Not bad finishing it in 8 days, with 5 of the days here at camp. 😳😂 Now, back to Unrequited Love on Netflix. It's going to be taken off in July.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 10:12 PM, Murphy101 said:

I just finished Joseon Attorney: A Morality (kocowa) and liked it.  I hadn’t watched a historical setting in a while bc I seems like every single one of them is about love betrayed and the FL is always trying to pass as a man, usually a eunuch.  This one is not that and I really enjoyed it. It was cute and gruesome and sad and has a happy enough ending. 

I added this one to my watchlist. 

I started The Grand Prince, but after five episodes I’ve abandoned it. The storyline was okay, but something about the acting was bothering me. The couple was meh. Anyone else watch this one? 

I finished season 1 of Welcome to Waikiki.  (viki & kocowa)  It’s hilarious young adults trying to launch and make it in the world together. It was sweet and funny.  Cute ending. 

There’s a season 2 but I haven’t watched it yet.  I don’t think it has the full original cast? 

Just started My Sweet Mobster (viki). I’m not familiar with either of the main leads but it seems cute so far. 

Posted (edited)

I have a cold so I'm in 'veg' mode this week-- my picks have been 'Weak Hero Class 1'-- it was very good but intense (bullying/violence) rated NC 17 in Korea.  

I also opted for a period piece "My Dearest"  I'm about 9 episodes in and it is living up to its high ratings. -- Gives me 'Gone with the Wind' vibes...

Both of these are on Viki

I hope "My Sweet Mobster" turns out well...

UPDATE:   My Dearest is like a punch in the gut for 21 episodes-- but it was SOOOO Good!   Ending has hope if you can hang in there.    I will definitely re-watch this one some day.

After something so heavy, I'll be choosing something sassy and sweet for my next view-- most likely something I've watched before.

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 1

Has anyone seen Eye Love You? It's on Netflix and Viki. The FL can hear people's inner voice when she looks into their eyes, due to an accident. It is a J-drama, but the ML's (delivery person) inner voice is in Korean.  I haven't watched it yet, but it's on my list.

I'm currently watching 2 more Cdramas - a modern one and a period drama. The period drama is Judge Dee's Mystery, which is actually a series of mysteries. The modern one is The Rational Life. I'm currently bingeing this one as it's so cute. I started it on Sunday evening and I'm currently on episode 23. Dylan Wang is the ML in this, and he has a likable young (20's) character. The FL is a 30-something career woman, and they work together at the company very well. She has an overbearing mother pushing her to find a man to marry. She downright scared ME at times! Two other storylines involve a married couple with no children, and former schoolmates who are navigating having a relationship. I hope this doesn't turn out with a dumb ending.

On 6/27/2024 at 5:43 PM, Jann in TX said:

I have a cold so I'm in 'veg' mode this week-- my picks have been 'Weak Hero Class 1'-- it was very good but intense (bullying/violence) rated NC 17 in Korea.  

I also opted for a period piece "My Dearest"  I'm about 9 episodes in and it is living up to its high ratings. -- Gives me 'Gone with the Wind' vibes...

Both of these are on Viki

I hope "My Sweet Mobster" turns out well...

UPDATE:   My Dearest is like a punch in the gut for 21 episodes-- but it was SOOOO Good!   Ending has hope if you can hang in there.    I will definitely re-watch this one some day.

After something so heavy, I'll be choosing something sassy and sweet for my next view-- most likely something I've watched before.

Same for My Dearest. I liked it. But yeah by the end I was just - good lord be together in love already!

I couldn’t finish watching Weak Hero. After raised 2 - I saw enough foreshadowing to not want to endure that gruesomeness.