Menu

I'm now a K-drama addict...

Jann in TX

On 8/19/2023 at 7:34 AM, Vintage81 said:

We just finished The Inheritors (Heirs)...it was pretty good. This was the first show we've watched with Lee Min-ho. I know we should watch Boys Over Flowers, but I didn't realize it was 25 episodes! We'll eventually get to it...I know it's one of those classics. I also put The King Eternal Monarch on our watch list. 

My favorite character in The Inheritors, though, was the one played by Kim Woo-bin. I love the trope of the bad guy/villain turning good because he likes the girl. 🥰 Too bad they ruined it with my least favorite trope ever....the dreaded love triangle!!! 😤🤣

Anywho...it was still a fun show with all the crazy drama. On to the next!

King was great-- I did like it much better the 2nd time through.

Along the lines of Heirs is 'Cinderella and the 4 Knights'. 

Boys over Flowers is fun-- I had to get over the female lead (not thrilled with casting-- dd said she was/is a popular comedian) but by the end I was fine with her. 

• Like 1

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/20/2023 at 2:10 PM, Vintage81 said:

We haven't watched a Joseon-era show in a while, but I scanned through Netflix and nothing jumped out at me. What do y'all recommend?

We've already watched...Flower Crew, Rookie Historian, 100 Days My Prince, and The King's Affection.

Specific to Netflix, it happens I actually have not watched any period dramas there. But I did really like:

Mystic Popup bar
alchemy of souls
love to hate you
When the camellia blooms
dream (movie)
flower of evil
the glory (I really want a S2 of this one!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not Others has the most not ending ending I’ve seen so far.  Disapppinting. 

I finally got back to Dr Romantic S2 (kocowa) and enjoyed it. When is that hospital ever getting a parking lot?  Anyway. Now starting S3 (Hulu)

Only 4 more episodes to air for The Real Has Come. (Kocowa) This has been one trippy trip.  A few times I’ve wondered if they replaced writers and didn’t even have the new writers bother reading previous scripts. I’m actually hoping for the white truck of doom to appear at this point.

Started watching Moving (Hulu) with my Dh.  We started it bc someone told me it gave them the same vibes as the American series Heroes from so many years back and we loved that series until the writers strike killed it. (Much love for the strikers, we just wanted them to keep writing that afterwards!)

We must really like this show to watch it on Hulu. Because it feels like we are watching way more commercials than actual show time. It super frustrating bc they don’t even time the commercials at natural pauses in the show.  Scene where a brutal fight is happening seems like the middle of that is perfect for 5 repetitions of the same Nissan commercial. Ugh. 

• Like 1

DD and I are about to finish Romance is a Bonus Book. This one was just meh. 😕 I really liked the setting being in a book publishing company and seeing lots of pretty books. However, I really didn't care for the two lead actors. Their "romance" came off as so childish...it was annoying to watch, like eye-rolling annoying. And they were not young...part of the plot was how "old" the female actress was (she was 37 🤣). We haven't watched the last episode, and I don't know if we will. I'm pretty sure I know where everything will end up. 

DD said she wanted a little break from watching shows, so I started It's Okay to Not Be Okay. What a difference...love these two actors together already (I've watched 4 episodes). It's definitely different than what I was expecting. From the little trailer, it looked like it might be a little depressing (which is why DD wasn't interested), but I think it's more dark than depressing (does that make sense?! 😂🤦‍♀️). At least so far. This may sound weird, but I'm getting an Addams Family/Wednesday sort of vibe (which I like!!). Looking forward to the rest of the show!

• Like 2

I'm watching (current so still releasing episodes each week)  My Lovely Liar and Destined With You.  Both are good so far.  Tried to wait to watch until all episodes were released but just could not help myself-- I was coming across too many spoilers.

The main girl in My Lovely Liar can tell if people lie-- but she tends to lie a lot herself-- this annoyed me at first until I figured out that the show was about her personal growth (duh).

I really like Rowoon (SF9 music and acting)-- I haven't loved all of his shows but this one (Destined for you) is interesting so far.

I'm also 7 episodes into Behind Every Star-- this is good but more adult... young adult/teen equivalent would be Shooting Stars (one of my favorites!).

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 2:35 PM, Murphy101 said:

It’s okay to not be okay was way better than I expected.  It’s a very dark fairy tale and we ended up really loving it. 

I finished It's Okay to Not Be Okay last night....loved it! I loved the dark fairy tale story, love the actors (especially the lead couple and their brother), loved the animations, and loved the focus on mental health/mental illness. I could probably list a hundred more things! Ha!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I finished It's Okay to Not Be Okay last night....loved it! I loved the dark fairy tale story, love the actors (especially the lead couple and their brother), loved the animations, and loved the focus on mental health/mental illness. I could probably list a hundred more things! Ha!

Not as fairy tale-esque, but It’s Okay, That’s Love was really good too and deals with mental illness/trauma with a happy ending while not entirely glossing over how hard it is to love through that. Probably the most unrealistic is it shows a wonderful healthy support system of good people that probably isn’t reality for most people.  It was the first time I’d seen the male lead actor and I thought he was phenomenal. 

• Like 2

Just now, Murphy101 said:

Not as fairy tale-esque, but It’s Okay, That’s Love was really good too and deals with mental illness/trauma with a happy ending while not entirely glossing over how hard it is to love through that. Probably the most unrealistic is it shows a wonderful healthy support system of good people that probably isn’t reality for most people.  It was the first time I’d seen the male lead actor and I thought he was phenomenal. 

Thanks…I’ll look that one up! 

• Like 1

I finished Dr Romantic S3. Satisfying-ish ending.

The Real Has Come ugh. I wish I hadn’t powered through to the end. Darn don’t leave things unfinished personality trait. There is nothing more to see after episode 38. They could have wrapped the entire series up there. Because nothing changes after that. Ugh.  Exemplifies why I rarely watch long season dramas. 

I haven’t made any progress in Moving bc I’m watching that with Dh and we’ve had sickness going through the house so he has been NyQuil and out by 9pm. 

I enjoyed My Perfect Stranger well enough.

Love with Flaws was funny silly and I enjoyed it. 

We have been enjoying Running Man Classics starting with season 1 as a family.

We really got into Heart Signal at first but half way in I’m falling back to my presumption irritation. The nature of the show will sabotage any possible relationship lasting. So I’m back to not wanting to watch “reality” tv. We did finish it but it was as blah.

So far the only Kmovie I have ever liked is Dream.  I watched You’re So Precious to Me and once again, it just stops. There’s no ending. You’re just watching and then credits. The hecken. What I watched was good but I’d like the second half of my movie please tyvm.

I started Reply 1988. Also with Dh who has a limited enjoyment of subtitles but enjoys all things 1980s.  So it could be forever before I finish it.  I’m always nervous watching anything set in the 80s in Korea. So many tragic endings. 😬 

1% of Something was cute. Happy ending.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

I finished Behind Every Star-- they did not sum up all of the plots but ending was still satisfying to me.

I started another 2011 show-- Heartstrings (Viki).  I like it so far and it is teen friendly.

I've also started Abyss (Netflix I think)-- it is almost a horror drama-- blood, gore, violence-- but it has kept my interest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

I finished Behind Every Star-- they did not sum up all of the plots but ending was still satisfying to me.

I started another 2011 show-- Heartstrings (Viki).  I like it so far and it is teen friendly.

I've also started Abyss (Netflix I think)-- it is almost a horror drama-- blood, gore, violence-- but it has kept my interest.

I didn’t finish abyss. You’ll have to let me know if I should. I think I only got through 3 episodes. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finished King the Land - It was sweet, not too crazy. Even the "serious" stuff wasn't too deep. The couple was cute together. This was a good fluffy show to watch after It's Okay to Not Be Okay. The finale had some sweet, touching moments. 

I also watched Her Private Life - I really like the k-pop fangirl story line and the art gallery setting. Another cute couple, although I didn't love the lead male actor (I think I'm the only person ever to think this 🫣🤣). I hated the stupid love triangle...wish they would've ditched that and just created a second lead couple. The show dragged/was slow at times so a second couple could've filled in some space. Some of my favorite parts were the scenes with the little kids in the judo studio...so darn cute!! 🥰 This one also had a nice finale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

I finished King the Land - It was sweet, not too crazy. Even the "serious" stuff wasn't too deep. The couple was cute together. This was a good fluffy show to watch after It's Okay to Not Be Okay. The finale had some sweet, touching moments.

I also thought King the Land was sweet and fluffy...

I just finished My Lovely Liar-- it dragged a bit in places but was a good show. 

Last night I finished A Time Called You--- this one is one of my recently viewed favorites-- kept me thinking until the last episode-- finale was emotional by satisfying...  It did have one very short scene with Ahn Hyo-seop and Rowoon (cameo) that could have been left out-- so a minute of them holding hands in a car...(the preview clip of this scene went viral).  There were also a few scenes of gore/blood/suicide-- so for older teens and up.

I really prefer to 'binge watch'-- I hate waiting a week between episodes-- so with the October releases starting next week I'm going to try to hold back...

I'm looking for anther sweet/fluffy show for this weekend-- just a tad deeper than King the Land...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

Last night I finished A Time Called You--- this one is one of my recently viewed favorites-- kept me thinking until the last episode-- finale was emotional by satisfying...  It did have one very short scene with Ahn Hyo-seop and Rowoon (cameo) that could have been left out-- so a minute of them holding hands in a car...(the preview clip of this scene went viral).  There were also a few scenes of gore/blood/suicide-- so for older teens and up.

I was thinking about watching this one next, but I was nervous...I'm glad to hear that the ending was okay.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 10:27 AM, Jann in TX said:

I really prefer to 'binge watch'-- I hate waiting a week between episodes-- so with the October releases starting next week I'm going to try to hold back...

Me too.  I rarely watch something that isn’t completed already. 

On 9/29/2023 at 10:37 AM, Vintage81 said:

I was thinking about watching this one next, but I was nervous...I'm glad to hear that the ending was okay.

So I finished A Time Called You. They sure did pack a lot into those 12 episodes! It definitely kept me guessing on how they were going to wrap things up, but I was satisfied with the ending. It was pretty heavy…murder, suicide, mystery, etc…it never really had any light moments. It was still good, but if you haven’t watched it, just be aware going in. I really liked all of the actors and the story in general.

@Jann in TX….in regards to the few scenes with Rowoon. I might be off, but I took it as them kind of completely differentiating that iteration of the character. At that moment he was the original, away from all the other characters, so maybe it was a way to make him stand out even more. 🤷‍♀️ Just a thought I had. Also, that car accident was very jarring…I knew it was coming, but boy I was like 😯😳🫢🥺

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just popping in to say I finished one of the new shows on Netflix...Destined With You. I liked it a lot. It was perfect for this time of year because at times it had a spooky vibe. I didn't love the supporting cast, but it's okay because the main couple was so cute together. Loved Rowoon in this one! (FYI...it was not all light/fluffy. There are parts that deal with a stalker/attempted murder situation.)

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

I might have to watch a time called you - sounds more interesting from you two than the previews. 

let’s see… I’ve watched…

Oh My Ghostess (viki) - cute

welcome2life (viki) I enjoyed this one but there’s a serial killer plot and domestic violence. Happy ending tho!

I watched through e5 of My Mister and just. Could. Not.  Drag. Any further. 

I finished Moving and loved it. 
started Behind Your Touch and it’s dragging. 
started Strong Woman Nam Soon bc I just had to since Strong Woman Bong Soon is one of our favs. Enjoying it so far tho it is going rather slow.

started Elegant Empire tho I don’t know how far I’ll get. It’s at 52 of 100 episodes?!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I might have to watch a time called you - sounds more interesting from you two than the previews. 

let’s see… I’ve watched…

Oh My Ghostess (viki) - cute

welcome2life (viki) I enjoyed this one but there’s a serial killer plot and domestic violence. Happy ending tho!

I watched through e5 of My Mister and just. Could. Not.  Drag. Any further. 

I finished Moving and loved it. 
started Behind Your Touch and it’s dragging. 
started Strong Woman Nam Soon bc I just had to since Strong Woman Bong Soon is one of our favs. Enjoying it so far tho it is going rather slow.

started Elegant Empire tho I don’t know how far I’ll get. It’s at 52 of 100 episodes?!

100 episodes! I don’t think I could do it!! 🤣

That’s a bummer about Behind Your Touch…I was thinking of starting that one soon. 

I recently finished Destined with you-- still loving Rowoon!

I liked Doctors (Viki)

LOVED Cheese in the Trap

Loved Itwaewon Class-- it wasnt what I was expecting-- had dark parts but kept my attention

Started Abyss but put it on hold-- I kinda lost interest

Just started Doona-- it will be a slow one- but I'm interested in what happens next (I'm on episode 4).

--

Tonight I'm going to The Rose concert in Austin...they are a Korean indie rock band (not k-pop).    DH gets to go (he is not too thrilled) because I cannot drive due to my recent heart procedure and he owes me big time for taking our DD to pick out her wedding dress WITHOUT ME...Our almost 4yr old LOVES The Rose song 'Back to Me' (all in English- but one F bomb we cover up when he is around)-- so DH at least knows one song!  Most of their current songs are in English-- or part Korean, part English and it is not hard to figure out what they are singing about (mostly soft-rock ballads with emphasis on healing and love). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

I liked Doctors (Viki)

LOVED Cheese in the Trap

Loved Itwaewon Class-- it wasnt what I was expecting-- had dark parts but kept my attention

Just started Doona-- it will be a slow one- but I'm interested in what happens next (I'm on episode 4).

--

Tonight I'm going to The Rose concert in Austin...they are a Korean indie rock band (not k-pop).    DH gets to go (he is not too thrilled) because I cannot drive due to my recent heart procedure and he owes me big time for taking our DD to pick out her wedding dress WITHOUT ME...Our almost 4yr old LOVES The Rose song 'Back to Me' (all in English- but one F bomb we cover up when he is around)-- so DH at least knows one song!  Most of their current songs are in English-- or part Korean, part English and it is not hard to figure out what they are singing about (mostly soft-rock ballads with emphasis on healing and love). 

I’m jealous!  I really like The Rose music too. Their TikTok’s crack me up. Their content creator is a genius. LOL. I actually like Nauseous more than Come Back to Me. And yeah. My 7 year old knows only songs like this. Hazard of being the youngest by 6 years in a big family.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

I liked Doctors (Viki)

LOVED Cheese in the Trap

--

Itaewon Class is one of my favorite shows!!

I thought of you when I was watching Destined with You...I wondered if you had watched and were liking it (I know you like Rowoon 😊).

Doona is also on my list to watch soon. I'm surprised it's slow. Isn't it only like 9 episodes? You'd think the pace would be faster for such a short show. 🤨

Have fun at your concert!

• Like 1

Before Destined with You, I also watched Our Beloved Summer and My ID is Gangnam Beauty. I liked both shows. They were both a bit slow-paced, but both had really sweet main couples and I enjoyed all of the side characters as well. The supporting cast storylines were wrapped up rather abruptly in both shows, so I do wish they'd spent more time with that, especially since the pacing was a bit slow at times. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

100 episodes! I don’t think I could do it!! 🤣

That’s a bummer about Behind Your Touch…I was thinking of starting that one soon. 

It’s super cheesy so far. It really gives a Boy Over Flowers vibe. Right down to the clothing and over-acting.  When I first started it I thought it was a drama from around that same time frame.  So that’s been a bit weird for a 2023 production. 5 episodes in and I still can’t figure out if it’s just a bad production or a great production trying for that. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 8:50 AM, Murphy101 said:

Someone got a new thesaurus.

Same someone might be a witness to a horrible crime.

Sometimes the best thing about a kdrama is the subtitlers.💜

IMG_5184.jpeg

IMG_5185.jpeg

Thanks for the laugh!!  I've noticed this a bit before but never this extreme!!!

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 1

Finished Doona...  Lets put it this way-- ending was a lot like Twenty-five Twenty-one.

Each episode opened with a 'future' scene-- in most episodes that scene happened in the same episode's story line-- but in a few (including the first episode) those scenes went unexplained... so ending was totally up in the air-- who knows what happened-- FRUSTRATING.   Fans are crying out for a 2nd season to wind up several of the story lines left in limbo.  I did like the chemistry between the characters.

Not sure what I'll get into next-- I still have lots of downtime while my body heals.

Also-- The Rose concert was so fun!  DH survived and I heard him humming a few songs yesterday!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

Finished Doona...  Let’s put it this way-- ending was a lot like Twenty-five Twenty-one.

This is why I like spoilers. I stopped watching 25/21 for that reason. Everyone was like “but life goes that way sometimes!”

yeah. Well. I have reality already. I don’t need to watch it too. 

15 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

Also-- The Rose concert was so fun!  DH survived and I heard him humming a few songs yesterday!

Yay!! I’m glad!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

This is why I like spoilers. I stopped watching 25/21 for that reason. Everyone was like “but life goes that way sometimes!”

yeah. Well. I have reality already. I don’t need to watch it too. 

I'm about to finish Hotel Del Luna...I feel like this is the theme of that show too. I don't think it's a bad show, but I watch K-drama to get away from reality. I even checked before I watched it, but I guess my checking was not good enough!! 🤣🤦‍♀️ Oh well

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

I'm about to finish Hotel Del Luna...I feel like this is the theme of that show too. I don't think it's a bad show, but I watch K-drama to get away from reality. I even checked before I watched it, but I guess my checking was not good enough!! 🤣🤦‍♀️ Oh well

Oh no. I didn’t like the end of hotel deal Luna either. My teens and Dh liked it a lot tho.  The way it ended, I sorta expected a season 2 with new characters but I guess not. 

• Like 1

I'm really liking Twinkling Watermelon-- funny name for a coming of age story but it has been good so far (I'm on episode 12.  One character struggles with suicidal thoughts at times- but other than that it is a classic K-Drama, sweet with lots of twists and turns. 

Well episode 13/14 deal with child abuse in greater detail than the first episodes did-- you really feel for the character--  because of this I would say older teens and up for this one-- but it is GOOD

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 1

I also started watching Doona a few days ago, but my main viewing is still Cdrama. I've finished Love 020 (gaming/romance), The Prince of Tennis, and Hidden Love. I'm trying to get into Word of Honor (period drama), but not yet convinced, and also started Well-Intended Love. I'll figure out what I really want to watch soon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

Twinkling Watermelon is a WINNER!!!   This will be one of my long-term favorites.

I'll be binging Alchemy of the Souls next week... looking forward to taking in all of what I missed the first time as there was SO MUCH going on in the first few episodes...

I really need to get Viki! 🤦‍♀️🤣

• Like 2

Ok, so I did like Word of Honor. I'm trying another cdrama with Zhang Zhehan - Everyone Wants To Meet You - on Viki. I'm also watching a Kdrama on Netflix - Doona.  ]

I like the variety of Viki, but Language Reactor doesn't work on there. It's why I prefer Netflix or Youtube. I love having the subtitles in English, simplified Chinese, and Pinyin, instead of just straight English. In the Kdramas, I get the English, Korean characters (what are they called?), and the Romanized. Same with Japanese (English, Kanji/Katakana/HIragana, and Romanji). It's just how I learn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onalulu said:

Aww my old stomping grounds and my fav person in the whole world starting the chat. Haven't done Drama but started watching K game shows.

Hi BFF!!!

Don't worry-- I'll get you hooked on K-dramas.

I've watched a few of the K-games like 'The Devil's Plan'-- that was TOUGH

DH and I are also watching the American version of the (non lethal!) Squid Games.

On 11/13/2023 at 6:58 PM, Renai said:

I also started watching Doona a few days ago, but my main viewing is still Cdrama. I've finished Love 020 (gaming/romance), The Prince of Tennis, and Hidden Love. I'm trying to get into Word of Honor (period drama), but not yet convinced, and also started Well-Intended Love. I'll figure out what I really want to watch soon.

Im sorta watching Boss and Me on Netflix. I keep fast forwarding through her talking to herself and her friends. It’s made zero difference to the program also why does the ML wear his coats inside everywhere? And all their hands are just so cold they are very red. What horrible temp conditions are these actors filming in? LOL  and if there a reason they dress the male actors so …. Oddly?

On 11/15/2023 at 7:26 AM, Vintage81 said:

I really need to get Viki! 🤦‍♀️🤣

it’s pretty cheap. Go get it!

On 11/23/2023 at 2:10 AM, Renai said:

Ok, so I did like Word of Honor.

hmm. Maybe add to my list,..

On 11/23/2023 at 2:10 AM, Renai said:

Korean characters (what are they called?), and the Romanized.

Hangeul is what Korean letters are called  

• Like 2

I’ve finished:

daily does of sunshine

castaway diva

Both Netflix and I enjoyed them. 

Perfect Marriage Revenge (viki) loved it. 

My Dearest (viki) was good too. 

all of those ended well. 

Twinkling Watermelon ended well but wth with her birth mom? And what about girlfriend’s mom?! Why did they even make these part of the show at all if we were supposed to forget it?

I want song list on Spotify including, especially, the cover band songs! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

I just finished Castaway Diva (Park Eun-bin from Attorney Woo)-- had trauma scenes (child abuse) but solid story line and satisfying ending.

I'm holding off on the newer ones-- I prefer to binge-- hate waiting a week for next episode (I'm spoiled).

I prefer to binge too. Also I don’t like getting sucker punched by horrible endings.  I don’t want the show spoiled but I do want to know if the ending sucks before I start it. 

Daily Dose of Sunshine is all about suicide and mental health. But it’s really really good. I almost didn’t watch it because of that and it was ongoing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

Twinkling Watermelon ended well but wth with her birth mom? And what about girlfriend’s mom?! Why did they even make these part of the show at all if we were supposed to forget it?

I want song list on Spotify including, especially, the cover band songs! 

I agree about Twinkling Watermelon-- they just left a few story lines up in the air (not too uncommon for k-dramas though-- and if you think about it most USA dramas just 'end' by not returning for next season-- very very few are wrapped up nicely.

I also need to look for a play list for this one.

After Hotel Del Luna made me kind of sad, I did a rewatch of a few of my favorites...Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha and Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency. I still love both of them!

I also watched The Beauty Inside. It was okay. The ML was kind of meh. The premise of the show was kind of interesting though.

I just finished Love to Hate You. I have mixed feelings on this one. I really liked the couples in this show, but the pacing was weird. Very slow to start and then really speedy at the end. It was 10 episodes, each one only about 45 minutes. I think if it had been longer and the story line expanded a bit it would have been great. Still good though, I just wanted more! 

On 12/4/2023 at 7:19 AM, Murphy101 said:

it’s pretty cheap. Go get it!

I did wind up getting Viki, lol! I wanted to watch Everyone Wants To Meet You (Cdrama) with Zhang Zhehan, and got tired of all the commercials. So, I'm in the middle of that right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2