Menu

High school "Books for kids who need books"

When I was in grad school, there were a couple of volumes of "books for kids who need books", which classified books based on socio-emotional skills and situations, designed for use by special educators and school counselors so, for example, if we had a child who was going to be retained, we could pull out several books where the main character had gone through that experience and it had been generally a good thing long term to go through with the child. 

Does anyone know of a similar resource for high school level materials? And that is more up to date than the ones I would have been using about 20 years ago?

I think it’s more common now for people to use Social Stories. They are shorter than book level, and you can get books of them or read up on what makes them work and tailor your own.

For the younger crowd, they have things like going to the dentist or what to do when a parent is busy on the phone.

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I think it’s more common now for people to use Social Stories. They are shorter than book level, and you can get books of them or read up on what makes them work and tailor your own.

For the younger crowd, they have things like going to the dentist or what to do when a parent is busy on the phone.

That’s not likely to be effective with 16-17 yr olds, though. 

Are you on any teacher-specific FB groups to ask for books on those topics? Or try googling the topic and see what comes up. I'm on FB groups like picture book a day, classroom book a day, that type thing, and it's pretty common for people to come on asking for picture books for specific topics. You could search the archives. 

With a 16/17 yo, sigh, I don't know. Seems like the point where the kids who need the help are the ones not connecting with the books anyway. That takes you back to the picture book thing. 

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Are you on any teacher-specific FB groups to ask for books on those topics? Or try googling the topic and see what comes up. I'm on FB groups like picture book a day, classroom book a day, that type thing, and it's pretty common for people to come on asking for picture books for specific topics. You could search the archives. 

With a 16/17 yo, sigh, I don't know. Seems like the point where the kids who need the help are the ones not connecting with the books anyway. That takes you back to the picture book thing. 

At least part of it is trying to avoid specific things which might be an issue for the specific teen in mind as well as ones that reinforce things that are positive steps. A lot of recommended books for teens are really dark. 

• Like 1