Menu

If you are quite covid cautious, would you eat this?

Drama Llama

Well, I wouldn't choose it if I had other options, but if it was my best option, I would carefully replate, wash whatever it came in in hot soapy water (or garbage, if it's disposable), wash my hands well and then reheat to make it nice and hot before serving. That was our general routine in the second half of 2020, once we started getting take out again, until such time as we were vaccinated in 2021.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Spryte said:

OP, I hope no one in your family is positive!

DH's older sister and her husband are positive.  He's asymptomatic.  She's recovering well.  

We have a birthday in the family this week, and she was looking forward to cooking for it.  So, she asked if she could make food and drop it off.  

I'm thinking we will say no. 

• Like 4

With the info you added, I would say no. There’s no need to risk it since you can either a. Delay the birthday celebration until they’re well, or b. Cook the meal yourself.   I don’t *think* it’s a super high risk, but why chance it?  

• Like 3

No. There’s no logical reason for that given it appears to be driven by aerosol spread not surface or food contamination but I’m squeamish and I couldn’t. There does seem to be a mild gastro component to more recent infections so maybe there’s something there but mostly it’s just the ick feeling. 

I wouldn’t risk frozen food as that hasn’t been ruled out for sure yet.

• Like 1

I think it's a sweet gesture, and I am probably on the overly cautious side, but no.  I would not want to serve it, especially to an elder.  I'm sure I risk this with take out food at this point in time, but not from someone I know has Covid.  KWIM?

• Like 1

I would like to clarify that my “no” response was for eating it myself.  Feeding it to elderly relatives is “Oh hell no.”

I am aware that food doesn’t seem to be a major source of transmission, and I don’t fret about the possibility that people who have asymptomatic Covid and don’t know it may have prepared my food.  But people who know they are Covid positive should be keeping their germs to themselves.  

• Like 5

I would say yes and ask her to par-cook it, just to avoid overcooking when you re-heat it. 

It's all going to die in a 350+ degree oven. We kill bigger baddies than COVID by cooking. If you are super concerned ask for something you can saute over your 500 degree skillet. 

Seriously people if you are reusing your disposable mask after disinfecting it in the sun for a few days you should not be afraid of food that you've heated yourself. 

• Like 1

In case anyone accuses me of misinformation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7361064/#:~:text=In order to kill COVID,C (149°F).

With this conservative approach, the following become the recommendations:

In order to kill COVID‐19, heat virus‐containing objects for:

• 3 minutes at temperature above 75°C (160°F).
  • 5 minutes for temperatures above 65°C (149°F).
  • 20 minutes for temperatures above 60°C (140°F).

It should be noted that these findings agree with WHO guidelines which report a 4 log reduction of coronavirus for 56°C (133°F) with 15‐minute exposures 14 and is consistent with information for killing other infectious agents. 15

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clarita said:

In case anyone accuses me of misinformation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7361064/#:~:text=In order to kill COVID,C (149°F).

With this conservative approach, the following become the recommendations:

In order to kill COVID‐19, heat virus‐containing objects for:

• 3 minutes at temperature above 75°C (160°F).
  • 5 minutes for temperatures above 65°C (149°F).
  • 20 minutes for temperatures above 60°C (140°F).

It should be noted that these findings agree with WHO guidelines which report a 4 log reduction of coronavirus for 56°C (133°F) with 15‐minute exposures 14 and is consistent with information for killing other infectious agents. 15

And after the food has been cooked, does the Covid positive person handle the food? Plate the food?

I’m leery of the idea.

Bill

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spy Car said:

And after the food has been cooked, does the Covid positive person handle the food? Plate the food?

So above I said I would ask the person to par-cook the food. So to be cautious you finish it yourself to make sure the questionable person does not contact the food again after the COVID is killed. 

My friend who gave birth a few months after COVID began asked for all the food to be delivered to her this way. Partially cooked or just put together so she could stick it in the oven and finish cooking it.

Edited by Clarita
Add some more stuff

25 minutes ago, Clarita said:

So above I said I would ask the person to par-cook the food. So to be cautious you finish it yourself to make sure the questionable person does not contact the food again after the COVID is killed. 

My friend who gave birth a few months after COVID began asked for all the food to be delivered to her this way. Partially cooked or just put together so she could stick it in the oven and finish cooking it.

I guess, but that assumes the inclusion of no fresh food that doesn’t require cooking.

Bill

In that case, I would say no even just to avoid the exchange.   It would be a lot of work to reheat and replate everything too.  Even though I really don’t worry about contact transmission.   Especially with kids that aren’t great with hand hygiene.  

• Like 1

It’s easy enough to either postpone the celebration until she and her family are well, or let her postpone her contribution until then. Why take any chances? Worry over possible infection wouldn’t make the birthday more fun, and if someone did get sick, you and she would both feel awful. The risk is probably minimal, but it’s also pointless.

For everyone's peace of mind I would just say no. When I was positive, I did not cook for my family, and not wanting to cook was only part of the reason! I wouldn't want a Covid-positive person cooking my food, so I didn't want to put them through that. (Though perhaps I overthink things--I was avoiding going into dd's room to protect her, and really she would have rather I go in and get her laundry and do it for her!)

I wouldn't, even though it's not entirely logical. I know that heating it up will kill Covid, but if someone did come down with Covid, you'd be second guessing yourselves about whether or not it was a good idea. 

They can bring food another time. 

• Like 1