Menu

User names here

Scarlett

Does anyone else do this? Do you have names for people here in your mind that are not exactly like their user name?  For instance I went looking for an old post of Dawn’s and I did not even realize she is DawnM.  Took me a minutes to figure that out.  And I always forget that Cat is CatWoman. Carrie is another that is hard for me to remember the full name. 

I am always amazed at people who tag  multiple people in one post—-like thank you posts or something.  

Ok carry on.

• Like 2

I don’t do that in my mind but I pronounce them wrong in my head. Like, a bunch of jumbled letters becomes some semblance of a made up pronunciation. Then that becomes their “name”. I can’t think of an example right now.  And if I met them in real life, it would be hard to undo that and not think of them being named as that assigned name in my head. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

I don’t do that in my mind but I pronounce them wrong in my head. Like, a bunch of jumbled letters becomes some semblance of a made up pronunciation. Then that becomes their “name”. I can’t think of an example right now.  And if I met them in real life, it would be hard to undo that and not think of them being named as that assigned name in my head. 

I know just what you mean, but an example escapes me right now too. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

You are another one. You are Indigo in my mind.  So I am always confused when it doesn’t pop up if I try to tag you.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Not a name in mind, but am overall feel. There are certain posters that give me similar feels, so I confuse their actual user names. 

When I see @carriede, I get super confused because my maiden name starts with de.

I was 1234 with 4 kids, then 12345 when #5 was born. 

I actually know that so I am not sure why it is so difficult to remember the 12345 portion. 

No but there’s a poster who has my mother’s name with the same uncommon spelling and initials and even though I’ve determined it’s NOT my mother many times I still have a flutter of anxiety about it at least once a month when I see her post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

22 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

But it does pop up when you type Indigo. I just type the start of the name and then choose from the multiple choices that come up. 

Yes, I realize that.  But it is the multiple choices that gets me.  Avatars help.  But like with Cat I was trying to remember….is it cat lady? Cat lover? Super surprised when I figured out it was catwoman.  I mean we have only been on the board together for 15 years why would I know that? 😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, saraha said:

@hjffkj Is hufflepuff  in my head 😆

@saraha, you are like Sahara in my head, but with the letters in the order of your username. Not Sarah A or Sara + first letters of last name, but something more like sar-a-hah, lol. 

I've been able to fix a few in my head after realizing what they likely are supposed to be, but it takes some work.

37 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

But it is the multiple choices that gets me.

I agree--especially if there are a lot of similar ones. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, saraha said:

@hjffkj Is hufflepuff  in my head 😆

Somehow I knew my name would come up is this thread😂 Hufflepuff is acceptable, ha.

When we had the first Hive meetup 5ish years ago one of the first questions I was asked is how do you pronounce your username and where did it come from. So, it is literally just h j f f k j. hj for short.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, kbutton said:

@saraha, you are like Sahara in my head, but with the letters in the order of your username. Not Sarah A or Sara + first letters of last name, but something more like sar-a-hah, lol. 

I've been able to fix a few in my head after realizing what they likely are supposed to be, but it takes some work.

I agree--especially if there are a lot of similar ones. 

That’s funny! It never occurred to me that Sarah A would be pronounced something different! I was always Sarah N in school since there were multiple Sarah’s in my class so when I got married in my head I became Sarah A.

• Like 3

On 7/16/2022 at 10:00 AM, Carrie12345 said:

Not a name in mind, but am overall feel. There are certain posters that give me similar feels, so I confuse their actual user names. 

When I see @carriede, I get super confused because my maiden name starts with de.

I was 1234 with 4 kids, then 12345 when #5 was born. 

Good thing I don't post much, minimal confusion. 😅

I could take Carrie1234 too.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, saraha said:

That’s funny! It never occurred to me that Sarah A would be pronounced something different! I was always Sarah N in school since there were multiple Sarah’s in my class so when I got married in my head I became Sarah A.

I think with it all being lowercase vs. having a capital A to designate "begin new word," that my brain latches onto the pattern of syllables and accents of Sahara, but puts the sounds in the proper order. Apparently my brain doesn't care about the lack of an initial capital, lol!

It took me forever to figure out @elroisees also. @KSera hit me earlier, and then someone (Not_a_Number?) asked outright about her username.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kbutton said:

It took me forever to figure out @elroisees also. @KSera hit me earlier, and then someone (Not_a_Number?) asked outright about her username.

Ok, I just now figured out @KSera ( what ever will be, will be, right?) but I can’t figure out the other. Up until now they had been K Sarah and Elroy Sees.

5 minutes ago, saraha said:

Ok, I just now figured out @KSera ( what ever will be, will be, right?) but I can’t figure out the other. Up until now they had been K Sarah and Elroy Sees.

Same here.  Hopefully someone will explain.

I assume everyone knows what mine is. 😂

23 minutes ago, saraha said:

Yes, on KSera--she went back and forth in my brain until someone asked. It is El Roi Sees. El Roi is a Hebrew term that I understand means The God Who Sees, so I assume you are correct unless it's really about The Jetson's, lol. 

17 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Same here.  Hopefully someone will explain.

I assume everyone knows what mine is. 😂

See above. Scarlett, you will laugh, but it took me a while to figure it out even when you had your Vivien Leigh picture, lol!. I just kind of thought, "vintage picture." When it clicked, I had a good laugh at myself.

• Haha 2

On 7/16/2022 at 9:13 AM, Elizabeth86 said:

I know just what you mean, but an example escapes me right now too. 

Well, for me, @saraha is kind of like Sahara--accent on the second syllable. Not Sarah H. at all, lol.

ETA:  Oops, should have read further, I guess.😄

ETA2: Oops again, I mean Sarah A. 

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have a hard enough time remembering names of people I know IRL.

I seem to remember the images better than the names.  Though, considering I've been here over 10 years, it would be pretty bad if I didn't remember at least the very frequent posters' names.

But some of the names are very similar if you see them without the images.

Short answer - I don't believe I'd be able to do one of those thank-you posts you mention in your OP.  And those folks impress me also.  🙂

• Like 4

13 hours ago, saraha said:

I didn't realize it was SarahA until this thread. :blush:

• Like 1

I think we need a user directory. I love you guys like crazy, but I am bad with names here and in real life. 🙂 

Something like:

username: MercyA

pronounced: mur-see ay

dislikes: shoes in the house

frequents threads about: 80's music, pets, pro-life issues

• Like 4