Menu

Forum Log-In Changes: Effective August 1, 2022 ACTION Required

Helpdesk

In order to protect your privacy and security, we have to change the way you sign in to the Community Forums. If you want to know the backstory, keep reading. Effective August 1, 2022, you will need to sign in using your email address; user names will no longer work for signing in. 

What To Do: Before August 1, 2022, log off and then log in again with your email address and password. BEFORE you log off the forums, read the following bullet points.
  • Your WTM Account email and password are not the same as your Community Forum email and password. The two are not linked. Make sure that you’re using your FORUM email and password for everything that follows.
  • If you remember your email address and password, this shouldn't be a big deal. And may we say, Good Job.
  • If you remember your email address but not the password (please, do try to remember it!), send email to support@welltrainedmind.com and we will reset the password for you. Please include the words "Forum Password Reset" in your email.
  • If you do not remember which email address you used, while you are still signed on, go to the account button on the top right of the Forums screen. Click on the down-arrow by your "avatar", and you will see  "Account Settings." Click on that. Your email is listed there. If you can remember your password (please, do try to remember it!), you are good to go. If not, send email to support@welltrainedmind.com and we will reset the password for you. Please include the words "Forum Password Reset" in your email.

If Customer Service has to reset your password, it might take a day or two, depending on the number of requests. Please do your best to sign in using your email prior to August 1, 2022.

If you have general questions, post them on this topic/announcement in the Site News Forum.  

What NOT To Do: Don't set up another account. It's against board policy and you will not have access to your old posts. Work with us to resolve any problems with your existing account. 

Why do we have to do this? What's the backstory?
To preserve your privacy and network security. This is the notice we got from the software developer, who is looking out for everyone's best interests.

Display name logins are enabled

Allowing users to log in with a display name can represent a security weakness for your community because display names are public information and malicious users may attempt to login to multiple accounts with common passwords until they find an account for which the passwords work. It is recommended that you only allow users to log in with their email address.

Whose fault is this?
It's not our fault. It's not your fault (well maybe, indirectly, if you are one who uses "1234" as a password). It's not the fault of the software developers. It's the fault of people who can't keep their noses out of other people's business. 

Will this have any impact on my WTM Account?
No. We separated the two accounts in December 2020. You can still access the digital products in your account, and you can still buy curriculum and other books from the Well-Trained Mind Press website.  

Why do I have to have a password on a discussion forum?
So no one can pose as you and make posts in your name that could be embarrassing, or worse. 

Any suggestions on how to create a good password?
Use the search string "how to create a good password" in your search engine of choice. You'll find lots of good suggestions, and probably one that you will like better than the others. For the record, we can all agree that it would be so wonderful not to have to deal with passwords. Alas.

Additional Q&As will be answered in the Site News Forum posting, as the questions arise and are answered.  

Edited by Helpdesk
Format change

Is there any risk with this method that out email addresses will end up publicly displayed or accessible in any way? I admit I’m a little uneasy since the time that happened before. If that is a concern for us, can we change our email address in our account first and then log out and log back in with with the new email address?

Hello, KSera -- 

I don't know how it would reveal any email addresses; the last time was on a completely different and much more complicated system; in this case, I am just flipping a switch on an existing system to take away a sign-in option.  

Your suggestion of changing your own email address and following the instructions to reset the account is brilliant. I reset my civilian account email a few months back and it was not any big deal at all - I did this "as a civilian" and without my administrator magic wand.  

If you do this, please let me know what happens (I don't have another email to assign to my civilian account ,and I want to be sure it is what members see).  If you run into any trouble, let me know and I'll jump on any issues that need to be resolved.   

And I will ADD the option to the announcements on each forum.  Thank you for making the suggestion: it's Honey from the Hive.

--Helpdesk

Thank you! I will give a try later and report back. 

eta: @HelpdeskSo far, not so good. I tred to change it to an icloud.com account and never got the verification email. I had it resend it 3 times, fifteen minutes apart each, and still never got it. Then I changed it back to my original one and I got the verification right away 🤷‍♀️. In the meantime, I was locked out and couldn't even browse as an unregistered member 😱. I'll try again tomorrow.

Edited by KSera

Hello, KSera -- 

Well, rats.  

This happens with a few ISPs who don't let auto-send emails back through; icloud, me, and cable companies seem to have a disproportionate number of this problem.  I will go change your password to something really obnoxiously long and send it to you in a PM.  Copy/paste this password into the password field when you go sign in using the existing email and when you get signed in, change your email from within the app--THAT does not require an auto-send email.

Thank you for your help in sussing this out.  I'm glad that you were able to uncover this issue before I changed the announcement...and I very much appreciate the report back.  

--Helpdesk

EVERYONE ELSE: EDITED: You can use the method KSera described, but if you run into trouble, please send a request for help to support@welltrainedmind.com. It is a LOT easier for us to answer from that interface, which speeds up our response time.

Or, you can use the methods described in the pinned post. That's what I recommend you do, if you have icloud, me, or a cable company as your ISP. 

I will be trying to guess my old password when I log out and log back in. It helps a lot if I know the password requirements. I think mine is 8 characters. Can you tell me if it was *required* to have special characters or capital letters? Thanks.

Hi, Ali --

The system says the password requirements are 8-20 characters, a special character, a capital, a number...but I have assigned passwords that don't meet these requirements, and they work.  I myself have been updating alllll my passwords across alllll my imporrtant sign-ins and have just given in, and found a way to meet these standard requirements of most websites.  (One of the websites (one that would make exactly zero difference in my life, were it hacked, required 15-30 characters and 3 special characters - very annoying!)

In my civilian life, I've increasingly found myself using special characters in places where other words would give some venting satisfaction and substituting numbers for letters.  

L3tm3r3adth3#*%forums.  For example.  

Let us know - via support@welltrainedmind.com - if you need help.  You might want to wait until Monday when we are open for business; it will probably speed the response.  

Hey there, Athena--I am right there with you re: tech confusion.  You should have heard my torturing conversations today with poor suffering customer service people about a log-in issue.  

Athena1277 is your user ID.  When you created the account, you had to supply an email address and create a password for accessing your membership (so you can post on the forums).

Until August 1, the system is set to allow you to sign in using either your user ID or your email; the reason for the change to allowing only email sign-ins is explained in the original post.  

If you need help accessing your account to make these changes, please send email to support@welltrainedmind.com and write 'Forum Password Reset" in the subject line.  Then, describe the help you need.  If possible, send the support email from the same account you used to become a board member.  If you don't remember your email name, we will have to reset the account and import your messages (a do-over). In order that we not change the wrong account's email, please include your user ID in the message, OK?  It just makes it a lot faster and easier to make sure we are doing the right thing for the right person.

If you DO remember your email name but not the password, we just have to create a new password for you and send it to you in the responding email.  

Thank you for checking into this earlier than the deadline.  

Helpdesk

ALL who are reading: if you have specific-to-you changes to be made, please email support@welltrainedmind.com...it is 4000 times easier to do the right thing from that system than it is from the public forums or via private messaging.  Athena, this was a perfectly good forum question--general interest.  🙂

@ScoutTN asked downthread: Do we need to do this on all devices that we use to be here?!

Here's my response: 

Ummm...I'm not sure how that works on a universal level. The account will have one email and password...

Personally, I have set up all my devices to talk to each other so on my civilian account, I just changed the sign-in once and the devices figured it out. But I'm not sure how that will work on any other person's set of devices.

If anyone in the community here can answer the question for ScoutTN, speak up in this thread.  If you use the @ before you enter her name, she will be notified of your response.  ETA: I cross-posted here so the info people need is all in one thread.  

Edited by Helpdesk
As stated in the edit