Menu

High input history and science

Hey all, 

What would you do if you wanted some high quality books to read aloud to your kids to get a decent coverage of history and science? My kids are (almost) 10 and 6, although I'd rather aim at the older kid. 

We're having a fairly turbulent few years. I'm realizing that what I want the most are some books I can read to the kids and that we can talk about that would get good coverage of the basics, and I'm happy to figure out assignments for them myself or to even let them figure out their own assignments. 

It's best if the books are fun but weave together a cohesive story. We were reading the Thrifty Guide to Time Travel series (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KVLH57S) recently and my older girl has retained a surprising amount from that, but I'd like something more serious than that. 

We used a range of resources, but some of the best for read aloud were all the Horrible series. Horrible Histories, Horribly Famous, Horrible Science etc.

We never used these as a sole source, but they were excellent as a fun foundation to then launch off.

I know you said you were after 'serious', but I'm not sure if you mean non-funny or credible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

We used a range of resources, but some of the best for read aloud were all the Horrible series. Horrible Histories, Horribly Famous, Horrible Science etc.

We never used these as a sole source, but they were excellent as a fun foundation to then launch off.

I know you said you were after 'serious', but I'm not sure if you mean non-funny or credible.

Yes, my older girl adores those and reads them on her own time. But I can't quite get into reading those out loud -- a little too silly for me!! 

• Like 1

History is easier than science, since it lends itself better to storytelling. I've liked all the WTM suggestions I've tried, especially Hillyer.

I'm also at a loss for science reading. There is a tradeoff between "has substance" and "is fun to read out loud." Maybe for your 10-year-old the first of Feynman's "six easy pieces," on atoms and molecules and their consequences?

The other five pieces are more dry, if I remember.

Maybe histories and biographies in science are a place to start. Or maybe some kind of "hard" science fiction.

Royal Fireworks Press has some biographies (and possibly other books) that might work.  I got a set about...I think Babbage and Pascal and maybe somebody else?  There was one about Florence Nightengale and how she pushed the use of statistics in figuring out basic epidemiology.  I haven't looked to see what else they have since mine are now older and on to other things.  

• Like 2

For science, maybe use some nonfiction popular science books, like The Song of the Cell, The Case of the Disappearing Spoon, The Alchemy of Us  

Also check out Thinking Physics by Lewis C Epstein

A nice thing about Joy Hakim's science history series is rhat there are accompanying instructor and student workbooks

Edited by Malam
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2022 at 3:03 PM, UHP said:

History is easier than science, since it lends itself better to storytelling. I've liked all the WTM suggestions I've tried, especially Hillyer.

What's Hillyer? 

I'm also at a loss for science reading. There is a tradeoff between "has substance" and "is fun to read out loud." Maybe for your 10-year-old the first of Feynman's "six easy pieces," on atoms and molecules and their consequences?

The last thing we read (before our life kind of exploded) was this: 

https://www.amazon.com/Stuff-Life-Graphic-Guide-Genetics/dp/0809089475/

It was great -- both had substance and was fun to read. We also read the Evolution novel by the same people. 

I'll take a look at Feynman's six easy pieces. I think what I want is for it to be interesting, thought-provoking, and teach her something new that still connects with my almost 10-year-old's view of the world. I can imagine it being lots of things... both my kids are very scientifically minded, so I'm not really that worried about proficiency at this point, just inspiration and interest. 

Maybe histories and biographies in science are a place to start. Or maybe some kind of "hard" science fiction.

I don't think I can think of any science fiction that really engages with science in a good way, and I like science fiction. To me, the best kind of science fiction engages with philosophy but not really science. Do you have anything in mind? 

Histories and biographies are a good idea, though. 

On 7/10/2022 at 6:28 PM, Dmmetler said:

Have you done the Hakim A history of US and Story of Science books yet? They work well as readalouds and discussion. 

I haven't yet. I remember I had some issue with them, but I have no idea what it was anymore... are there any valid criticisms of those? 

They are a good idea, thank you. 

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

What's Hillyer? 

"A Child's History of the World."

It was great -- both had substance and was fun to read. We also read the Evolution novel by the same people. 

It looks great. Did you like Evolution less?

I'll take a look at Feynman's six easy pieces. I think what I want is for it to be interesting, thought-provoking, and teach her something new that still connects with my almost 10-year-old's view of the world.

I think the first "piece" on atoms and molecules fits the bill, while the others are either more abstract ("what do we mean by a physical law?") or tell less about life in the day to day (relativity).

I don't think I can think of any science fiction that really engages with science in a good way, and I like science fiction. To me, the best kind of science fiction engages with philosophy but not really science. Do you have anything in mind? 

I liked "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson. It might be more of a teen interest. A novel can't teach you to solve the heat equation but it can dramatize some things that stick in memory (I read in 20 years ago): the solar wind is radioactive and bad for astronauts, spaceships use their gas at the beginning and end of a journey not in the middle, you would weigh less on Mars than on Earth, Mars's day is about a half-hour longer than Earth's day, wouldn't a space elevator be cool...

But yes lots more "philosophy" and other sugar in it than science lessons.

• Like 1

Have you tried the "Little Histories" books. I enjoy reading those aloud, and my kids have been fond of them too.

Some of my kids' favorite read alouds were the Donald Prothero "in 25 {somethings}" books. They are dense and very high-level and filled with hard to pronounce names (my kids found my mispronunciations hilarious), but for some reason even my 5 year old was fascinated.

I think the main thing that makes or breaks read alouds at my house is if I am enjoying them. So I tend to find books that are teaching me new things in an entertaining way, and then I just dive into them projecting full confidence that of course the kids will like them if they just give them a chance.

• Like 1

Have you checked out the NSTA lists? 
https://www.nsta.org/outstanding-science-trade-books-students-k-12

I have found many of them really good. It does look like the more recent year winners are a bit more surface level but some of the older ones were quite in depth.

We’ve also enjoyed David Macauley books and some of the Great Minds of Science biographies. We’ve used a few Ellen McHenry units and although there’s some teacher input you can do them mostly independently. Great Courses can be helpful too. Your kids may be a little young but given their overall learning level it might work.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just read them adult nonfiction -- one-word-style books on different science topics that grab kid interest. I remember we read one called "Venomous" when they were a little younger than yours, and it led to a lot of great exploration and quite a good understanding of various aspects of chemistry and biology. Even if you don't have broad coverage in the topic, usually a ton of related stuff is brought in to those types of books (including history), and discussions can fill in any missing background.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2022 at 7:44 PM, mckittre said:

Why not just read them adult nonfiction -- one-word-style books on different science topics that grab kid interest. I remember we read one called "Venomous" when they were a little younger than yours, and it led to a lot of great exploration and quite a good understanding of various aspects of chemistry and biology. Even if you don't have broad coverage in the topic, usually a ton of related stuff is brought in to those types of books (including history), and discussions can fill in any missing background.

I'm all for that. I'd love to see some suggestions. 

12 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm all for that. I'd love to see some suggestions. 

Here are some nonfiction books we enjoyed during the teen years:

• The Ghost Map
  • Encounters with the Archdruid
  • Outliers
  • Freakonomics
  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (not exactly nonfiction)
  • Lila (again, not exactly nonfiction, also there are a lot of sexual references)
  • The Righteous Mind
  • Sapiens
  • The Upright Thinkers
  • Napoleon's Buttons
  • Uncle Tungston
  • The Disappearing Spoon
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EKS said:

Here are some nonfiction books we enjoyed during the teen years:

• The Ghost Map
  • Encounters with the Archdruid
  • Outliers
  • Freakonomics
  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (not exactly nonfiction)
  • Lila (again, not exactly nonfiction, also there are a lot of sexual references)
  • The Righteous Mind
  • Sapiens
  • The Upright Thinkers
  • Napoleon's Buttons
  • Uncle Tungston
  • The Disappearing Spoon

Thank you!! 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, FreyaO said:

I know this is an old thread, but I enjoyed it and wanted to add: how about some long form journalism? E.g. New Yorker, weekend issues, etc. They often account to mini biographies or give a good overview on issues from history to politics to science. 

Great idea! 

It's an old thread, but I plan to draw from this stuff for a while, so suggestions are still very welcome! 

• 2 weeks later...