Menu

Organization ideas for Acessible art supplies with mobile babies

Momof4sweetkids

I started with getting all art/craft supplies that were washable or easy to clean in case it got out of hand or the older one lost track of a supply or two. When my youngest was 18 months or so I kept all the supplies in a shoe box. I just bought down the shoe box when the older one wanted to use it (3 yr old). You could probably teach the 4 year old to open the latch Sterlite box things so you could keep the supplies in that and that's where she can go get the supplies. Then you can confiscate the whole box should the 4 year old also misbehave with the supplies. (I tried "unlimited" access starting at oldest 3 but that didn't really work until he was 5 and the youngest was nearly 4.)

• Like 1

Can you make a zone that's safe for most materials? For us our back porch and garage are safe from being messed up, but the porch is better because nothing dangerous is stored there. I stick the art supplies in a hutch out there, and messes happen, as well as art on occasion.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Clarita said:

I started with getting all art/craft supplies that were washable or easy to clean in case it got out of hand or the older one lost track of a supply or two. When my youngest was 18 months or so I kept all the supplies in a shoe box. I just bought down the shoe box when the older one wanted to use it (3 yr old). You could probably teach the 4 year old to open the latch Sterlite box things so you could keep the supplies in that and that's where she can go get the supplies. Then you can confiscate the whole box should the 4 year old also misbehave with the supplies. (I tried "unlimited" access starting at oldest 3 but that didn't really work until he was 5 and the youngest was nearly 4.)

Love the sterilite idea! That would definitely help. Thankfully my 4yo is pretty trustworthy with it other than forgetting to check the floor for ones she dropped.

7 hours ago, Xahm said:

Can you make a zone that's safe for most materials? For us our back porch and garage are safe from being messed up, but the porch is better because nothing dangerous is stored there. I stick the art supplies in a hutch out there, and messes happen, as well as art on occasion.

Thats a good way of keeping the messes outside. I think my 4yo wouldn't want to be separate from the rest of the family while coloring but I could store them outside for her to access.