Menu

Hive mind-Favorite Dragon books/anime/movies/TV shows

L wants to add a recommendations page to the Dragonology class. And, besides, we have a long plane trip coming up, so time to preread. So, what are your kids' favorites?

Currently, the most common things the kids write about is Wings of Fire, the How to Train Your Dragon movies, The Ender Dragon, and Harry Potter dragons, and there's a LOT more out there! 

Here's a past thread on "Books with Dragons".
Here's a list of 20 animated TV series with dragons  Ranker: The Best Dragon Cartoons.

A few more books/stories with dragons:
- The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame) -- humorous short story with a dragon as the central character
- The Book of Dragons (Nesbit) -- 7 short stories with different dragons
- The Neverending Story (Ende) -- has the character of the Luck Dragon
- The Hobbit (Tolkien) -- has the dragon character of Smaug

A few more movies with dragons:
- Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) -- animated
- Spirited Away (2001) -- animated; character of Haku can turn into a dragon
- Dragon Heart (1996) -- live action
- Disney: Pete's Dragon (1977) -- animated/live action
- Disney: Mulan (1998) -- animated; Mushu is Mulan's small red dragon sidekick
- Disney: Enchanted (2007) -- animated/live action; the villainess turns into a dragon for the climax
- Disney: Sleeping Beauty -- animated; the villainess turns into a dragon for the climax

• Like 2

For young kids, My Father's Dragon series.  

There is a dragon in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader  (Chronicles of Narnia).  

Maybe The Chronicles of Prydain?

Apparently there is a dragon in one of Edward Eager's books, Seven Day Magic. I'm sorry to say I don't remember.

There is a movie called "Reign of Fire" about dragons

The recent movie "Shang Chi" has a dragon.

• Like 1

The Dragon Prince on Netflix is awesome - animated, exciting for the whole family. There's a book of it too which I bought. 

Scholastic has quite a few different series - Dragon Master (6-8 yr olds), Dragon Diary (8-10), Rise of the Dragons series (10-12), Dragon Girls series (8-10), Darwin's Dragons (9-12 - looks good!), Skydragon series (Ahn Do, Australian author, 9-12yr olds). Cornelia Funke has the Dragon Rider series (9-12, German). 

My daughter is obsessed with Wings of Fire, I find it a bit dark and violent! There seems to be endless books in that series.

• Like 1

The Dragonsinger Trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums) by Anne McCaffrey.  There's a lot more dragon books by her, but that series is pretty kid friendly (perfect for middle school I'd say).

The Dragonbreath series is great.  It's for younger kids (I'd say 8-12 is best age).  All the characters are reptiles (and a few dragons...which no one believes are actually fire breathing dragons, and Danny dragonbreath has trouble breathing fire on command so he can't prove it).   And he gets into all these adventures involving other mythical creatures.   The writing is hilarious.   It would be great for a dragon class because it incorporates (and sometimes makes fun of) various dragon tropes along the way, so the more you know about dragon lore the more of the jokes you will get.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 6:47 PM, bookbard said:

The Dragon Prince on Netflix is awesome - animated, exciting for the whole family.

I LOVE this one.   Such a good one.

I would add that Avatar the Last Airbender (the animated show, not the movie) has dragons in some episodes.

• 2 weeks later...

DS has the entire Wings of Fire series after giving the first one a try during a camping trip a few years back. 😄 But it give him a springboard into The Book of Dragons, Dragonology, and Eragon.  He did have a copy of The Reluctant Dragon (not as loved), but really enjoyed How To Slay A Dragon - a fantasy hero's guide to the middle ages.

_Dragonhaven_ by Robin McKinley -- Science, Politics, Dragon babies.  Really a very hands on book about dragons that make them seem like they might really live in our world. 

Another REALLY good one.  (Its the first book in a series but I have not yet read the rest) _Dragon Slippers_ by Jessica Day George. (OF Tuesdays at the Castle fame) The heroine is living with her aunt and uncle and passle of kids. And the aunt comes up with a scheme to sacrifice her to the local dragon so the nearby prince can "Rescue" her and will then be obligated to marry her and make the whole family wealthy. Since no one has seen the local dragon in years, there is no real danger to this plan.  This plan is doomed to fail or there would not be a book. But its a great exploration of dragon culture, and the truth (and falsity) of legends. This is aimed at a younger age than Dragonhaven.

Slightly younger than THAT is _Dragons in a Bag_ by Zetta Elliott.  Though we don't see the dragons as characters so much in this book. Its still a fun romp with a boy living in a unstable house situation who is thrown into a fantastical trip to rescue baby dragons that are struggling to survive in a magic-poor environment. Again, I need to get the rest of the series because it seems likely to focus on the dragons more in future books. This book has won a lot of awards.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull is awesome and has lots of dragons (not as many in the first book, but just keep going, they're coming). He also has a series that is dragon-heavy called Dragonwatch, but I don't know those as well. His books are for the upper-middle-grade crowd, because they're very intense, but they're very good.

• Like 1

Well, I would say Wings of Fire.

I really loved the Pern books by Ann (or Anne) McCaffrey when I was young, but I had it pointed out to me there are possibly some troubling sexual or gender related themes.  I am not giving them to my teen daughter.  Maybe when she’s older.  

I don’t have a strong opinion but it was brought up to me and made me have some second thoughts I guess.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2022 at 5:09 PM, Lecka said:

Well, I would say Wings of Fire.

I really loved the Pern books by Ann (or Anne) McCaffrey when I was young, but I had it pointed out to me there are possibly some troubling sexual or gender related themes.  I am not giving them to my teen daughter.  Maybe when she’s older.  

I don’t have a strong opinion but it was brought up to me and made me have some second thoughts I guess.  

The Harper Hall series are appropriate for teen or younger readers. The main Pern series are problematic, especially the ones written in the 60's/70's. They were probably fair for their time, but are a bit yikes! By today's standards. By the 1990's (when McAffery's son was co-writing), they avoid that again. 

Pern is covered in the class because it set so many tropes for current dragon depictions (along with Tolkein and D&D)-but it definitely is a series that needs some parental supervision, compared to, say. Wings of Fire. 

• Like 1