Menu

Ways to hide HVAC?

Carrie12345

It’s not the MOST annoying thing right now, but I do want to have a plan in mind.

Our driveway/garage is side-facing, so the garage/side off the house is the “welcoming” view when you arrive, and that is where they decided to put the HVAC condenser. (That’s the right word, right?) In addition to the fact that it’s just Right. There. , it is brown, against my white-with-black-accents house.

Once I realized it would be on that corner, but didn’t know of the color or the height, I thought I might just put a cute length of black fence from the regular door to the corner, but I’m not sure that will work anymore. At least, not at the cute little height I was thinking.

All ideas are welcome!
Yes, the ground should eventually come up higher, but I can’t say how high. 

0024C06B-7D90-412F-B3DB-63732E3CE766.jpeg

BCB65A7C-3A95-45A1-889F-8CE5C9AF6886.jpeg

Around here folks put painted lattice around the units and it’s removable for servicing. 

I’m so confused about where the grass level will be. The downspout is very low but the ac unit looks quite high, and if the grass comes up to that the pic seems to show the slope might mean the door is lower than grass level by the ac unit. How do they keep rain from going towards the door?  They can easily raise the downspout but the combo of door/ac unit/downspout is so odd. Like nobody is communicating a plan. I’m probably just seeing it wrong since the ac unit being suspended in air is throwing me off.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Around here folks put painted lattice around the units and it’s removable for servicing. 

I’m so confused about where the grass level will be. The downspout is very low but the ac unit looks quite high, and if the grass comes up to that the pic seems to show the slope might mean the door is lower than grass level by the ac unit. How do they keep rain from going towards the door?  They can easily raise the downspout but the combo of door/ac unit/downspout is so odd. Like nobody is communicating a plan. I’m probably just seeing it wrong since the ac unit being suspended in air is throwing me off.

I freaked out about downspouts before, lol.  They lowered and extended the ones in the front once the dirt was brought up to height, so I’m assuming they fully intend to adjust for the back.  Not that every single one of my assumptions has worked out, but I find it probable.

Regardless, we’re trenching eventually, because some of the downspouts are in really awkward places, like dumping right into the front walk to get to the front door.  I mean, physics is what physics is, but just another thing to add to the project list!

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 1

We've talked about putting a lattice screen around ours, removable for servicing. It is on the patio, so we can't plant around it, but perhaps some large planters - although it is pretty shady back there. Last summer I saw some interesting planters. It was kind of like using shipping pallets on end with planters built in to the top, but way more artistic! That might be my choice at our house. In the winter the planters can stand empty and fence-like. Then I can plant some pots to plop in the top for fair weather when we are using the patio.

Our HVAC (2 units) sit on a wooden deck, about 12" off the ground, with a wooden picket fence around it.
The former owners did this. 
It's stained to match the house.
My dh removed every-other picket several years ago, as the units needed more air intake.

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Where will your trash receptacles live? 

I'd be tempted to build a privacy screen that would solve both issues, given the location.

Bill

Good idea, but I think maybe black bears are a problem there? IIRC. 

Otherwise, it's sort of begging for this kind of solution. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I'd be tempted to build a privacy screen that would solve both issues, given the location.

Bill

But if I am understanding correctly this is an area you will pass on the way to the front door.  

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Trash cans inside the garage, and I’m *very* excited about it, lol.

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

I can't imagine that being very noticeable once everything is finished.  Might be worth waiting before trying to hide it.

I’m not sure what you’re picturing. The only other things being done there for now are final hook up and some dirt pushed under it.  To the right is what we hope to eventually be a fairly pretty backyard, which is also visible from the driveway. 

1 minute ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m not sure what you’re picturing. The only other things being done there for now are final hook up and some dirt pushed under it.  To the right is what we hope to eventually be a fairly pretty backyard, which is also visible from the driveway. 

Oh ok, so this is the back yard.  That is better….

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Oh ok, so this is the back yard.  That is better….

Well, straight on is the side/driveway. Left is front door/yard, right is backyard. 

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

So in the second pic is the unit hiding behind that piece of equipment?

It would be if they were there at the same time. 😉. I didn’t have a distance shot with the actual unit in it!

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I meant when *everything* is finished...the yard, the drive, the gravel or path or whatever comes off that door, planters if you're doing something like that etc.

Ime, the a/c just goes where it goes and everyone just stops seeing it after awhile.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, happi duck said:

I meant when *everything* is finished...the yard, the drive, the gravel or path or whatever comes off that door, planters if you're doing something like that etc.

Ime, the a/c just goes where it goes and everyone just stops seeing it after awhile.  

Ah, I see.
I would definitely welcome that shift.  I don’t know if I have it in me, lol, but I would welcome it!

I stopped by last night, and I’ll admit it didn’t seem AS terrible in the shade. So maybe if I only look from about 3pm on… 😉 

F6749350-C69A-419F-BFDA-7AFFE5CFA751.jpeg

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, happi duck said:

I agree. It will look normal.

• Like 1

I’d just put a large bush between the unit and the tree and plan on stashing my trash cans behind it. That would hide the unit, leave it open for airflow/servicing, and solve your trash bin problem.  The lattice thing screams “I’m hiding something ugly!” I’d go full camo on this. 

Edited by KungFuPanda

I would  plant some columnar plants in front of it.  And…Maybe a tiered circle planter wrapping around the corner. Leave access on one side and hide the rest in shrubs. 

Something like this but more purposeful for your needs 

image.thumb.jpeg.dc04a97a246cc3fff277abdfd0e14078.jpeg

Edited by Tap