Menu

Tae Kwon Do teacher taught today, despite having a faint positive test.

Ting Tang

My son's TKD teacher was out all last week.  She returned to tonight's class.  I usually do not drop him off but did today, and when I came to pick him up, I could see she was not herself.  She was masked.  I didn't know she had Covid, so I flat out asked and apologize for being nosy.  She actually admitted she had a faint positive test today!  My son was with her for 90 minutes, and he wore a KF94 mask.  But he said she did get close to him and even touched him.  I was there the last few minutes to pick him up, wearing a KF94 mask.  

So... what do we do now?  

Also, my daughter has a lesson on Thursday, but her teacher just got over Covid.  Her teacher actually canceled when she had Covid.  Do we avoid her, even if we feel well?  The lesson is outdoors.  I can't imagine I'd get a positive test that fast?

I am a bit in shock one would do this.

Edited by Ting Tang
  • Sad 8

Was she out with Covid last week? Was this a new illness today?  If she had it last week and just continues to have a positive test I wouldn’t worry about it. A lot of people aren’t themselves for weeks or months after Covid.

If she just got sick and had a positive then absolutely she should have stayed home.

Frankly, I expect to see a lot more people not isolating and going to work with Covid.  Many places Covid pay has been cancelled, so if they’re out of sick time or don’t have sick time, it’s go to work or don’t get paid for hourly workers.  I personally know of people who don’t even bother testing because they are out of sick time at this point in the year and can’t afford to stay home regardless.  My state mandates paid sick leave, but 40 hours isn’t really much.  For instance since I work 24 hour shifts, if I am sick on a Tuesday and still sick on Thursday, my sick time is gone for the year. 

• Like 7

They both wore masks, so this should help. Obviously this is not great, especially for a job that requires exercise, which increases the amount of virus emitted. Thanks CDC! I am impressed she told you...I do wish they'd let clients know beforehand so they can make an informed decision...

• Like 2

I hope you’re kid is ok but she’s very irresponsible. If your TKD is anything like ours there’s a lot of shouting and heavy breathing in an indoor environment. 

I have been in a small room with kids who tested positive soon after in N95 and stayed clear even though they aren’t masked so you may be ok.

• Like 1

Well the latest cdc recommendation I think is to quarantine for 5 days, and if you’ve been fever free and symptom free the previous 24 hours (?), you can come out of quarantine, but should wear a mask through day 10.  No talk of testing.  So it sounds like she is following the guidelines.  

• Like 6

Thank you all so much. We are hoping to avoid this. My MIL just finished chemo, so we will be quarantining. The teacher was sick last week. She still looked ill to me. 😔 I don’t think she’d intentionally hurt someone, but I wish we’d have been given a choice. I really regret going, and now my son thinks it’s all his fault— I’ve told him it’s not. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, matrips said:

Well the latest cdc recommendation I think is to quarantine for 5 days, and if you’ve been fever free and symptom free the previous 24 hours (?), you can come out of quarantine, but should wear a mask through day 10.  No talk of testing.  So it sounds like she is following the guidelines.  

This. We have teachers sick for 5 days then back at school wearing a mask is allowed. I don’t agree but those are now the rules.

I was still coughing and running a fever so I stayed out the whole 10 days but had the sick time to do so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

This. We have teachers sick for 5 days then back at school wearing a mask is allowed. I don’t agree but those are now the rules.

I was still coughing and running a fever so I stayed out the whole 10 days but had the sick time to do so.

Yes, I feel like a negative test should be the rules, but much of the world has "moved on."  This is the first time we've knowingly encountered someone with a positive test.  I am sure I have done it in passing, but since he spent 90 minutes there, that is the concern.  Hopefully we dodged it this time!

3 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Ugh. Same. Yet they still need to de-mask to eat ... And where? Classroom? Teacher lounge? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

So... what do we do now?  

Also, my daughter has a lesson on Thursday, but her teacher just got over Covid.  Her teacher actually canceled when she had Covid.  Do we avoid her, even if we feel well?  The lesson is outdoors.  I can't imagine I'd get a positive test that fast?

Daughter's lesson tell the teacher what happened. Personally, I would not do group activities for 5 days while testing.  If after 5 days test comes back negative then resume. I am super paranoid about my family spreading COVID. My son is completely asymptomatic when it comes to getting COVID and even me and my daughter is super mild (I've had allergy symptoms worse than my COVID symptoms). Therefore, I take my COVID precautions pretty seriously because I don't want to a super spreader.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Daughter's lesson tell the teacher what happened. Personally, I would not do group activities for 5 days while testing.  If after 5 days test comes back negative then resume. I am super paranoid about my family spreading COVID. My son is completely asymptomatic when it comes to getting COVID and even me and my daughter is super mild (I've had allergy symptoms worse than my COVID symptoms). Therefore, I take my COVID precautions pretty seriously because I don't want to a super spreader.  

Thank you so much.  I spoke with her teacher, and she is comfortable doing the lesson as long as we feel well.  It will just be the three of us outside practicing dancing, basically.  We are otherwise quarantining and avoiding everybody.  I am also not sure when my son should go back to TKD.  There is another class tomorrow, which we are obviously not going to, but if it starts to spread through the class...yikes.  There were only three yesterday.  But more may come tomorrow!