Menu

Upper Elementary Novel Studies

As DS heads into upper elementary, I am hoping to transitioning some of our literature from basic read-aloud to novel study.

Last fall DS gave daily verbal summaries of his daily reading. I would like to build off of that this year with paragraph-length written summaries. I think matchbook chapter summary projects, which create a visual tour of a book from multiple lift-the-flap style sections (one per chapter) composed of a picture on the outside & a summary on the inside, would particularly appeal to him. 

My question is… who should do the READING for these? DS is perfectly capable of reading the selections, but should he be? Would it be better to let him focus on comprehension while I read? Does it matter? 

I think whoever wants to do the reading should do the reading.

There's no hard and fast answer.  Some books I continued to read to ds (or find audio for) because they were more complex.  He got more out of them with a reader who understood the intention of the text than he did by himself. Some, he preferred to read alone and then discuss with me afterward.