Menu

Question - dog behavior (riding in cars)! Shiloh!

sheryl

Shiloh turned 3 years June 17!  Some of you may remember my announcement we were adopting a puppy!  Well, now she is 65 lbs and the sweetest girl!  

1.  HOWEVER, she will NOT gently pop her head out the window!   Our other 2 labs LOVED to do this!   
    Only would encourage this at slower speeds, not "racecar" driving on interstates, etc.

2.   She will not drink water from her bowl while in motion!
      PLEASE help me train her.  Our other 2 labs would drink.  Shi ALSO is "almost frozen" in place when we drive.  

Detailed explanation - we really need her to drink while car is in motion.  We've had to drive to Ohio for family emergencies.   3 times since May 27 or so!  Now it's only a 6 hour drive one-way,   Two of those trips we had to take Shi with us because we couldn't find a dog sitter last minute.  

So, Shi does NOT drink for 6 hours!  If we traveled 8 or 10 or more hours, she wouldn't drink.    DH and I are "talking" only about buying one of those drivable RV's - small one.   Travel out west, here and there.  Shi should not be spending every day waterless.  She'll drink water after we stop and in hotel room, back home but she will NOT drink water when we stop for a potty/food/stretch legs break. 

WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   She's normally a big water drinker and I can't stand knowing she's not drinking.

What do you think is going on with her?  How to train her?  Remember our first 2 labs did NOT have this issue with poking their head out of the window at slow speeds but more importantly they did not withhold drinking water on a car ride.  

?????

Edited by sheryl

• sheryl changed the title to Question - dog behavior (riding in cars)! Shiloh!

I’d think she’s better off keeping her head in the car, wouldn’t you?

Probably six hours between drinks is fine, but maybe she needs longer breaks along the way. Time to walk and sniff a bit, have a chance to drink, walk and sniff some more, sit at a picnic table and get some petting, water bowl available all the while. Once she relaxes, I bet she’ll drink if she’s thirsty.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think it’s concerning not to drink water for this time period.  I don’t expect it of dogs.  I think you got lucky with your other dogs.

The same as with children — if she seems okay, she seems okay.  If she doesn’t seem okay, I think you have to stop more.  Make the drive take longer.  Split up you and your husband if it’s a true emergency.

But really I bet your dog is fine.

Maybe look into more boarding options so you have more options in an emergency.

It does sound hard to me!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree — stop longer.  

I honestly think your dog is probably fine, though.

My husband drove our dog from upstate New York to Oklahoma and she was very anxious (the kids and I flew and she saw the house packed up).  She was fine, though.  She adjusted.

I think there’s a mix of saying “hey the dog is fine” and just adjusting for the dog to make the trip take longer, take longer stops, etc.  I think there is some middle ground there.

I’m sure I would have been anxious on that trip if I hadn’t flown with the kids — but my husband managed without me.

If it’s out of your hands and your husband doesn’t want to stop and thinks the dog is fine — to me I do trust my husband despite feeling some anxiety and concern.  My husband is good with things like this even though he doesn’t do them

how I would.

Personally I can’t think of a reason besides straight emergency or your husband thinks everything is fine, to think it’s fine but not your preference.

And locally if I thought it was a real concern I could get in with some more boarding or pet-sitting options and work to find options that would be available on short notice. It’s not easy but I think it is possible.  

• Thanks 1

We are on a trip now. Our dog eats, drinks, and potties much less frequently when we are driving. Sometimes he will drink water or go potty, but it is usually only about 7-8 hrs. into the drive. He seems fine though. He makes up for it when we arrive. Most of our travel days are about 10 hrs. I used to worry about it, but I don't anymore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't worry about it when she doesn't drink. I actually don't notice how often my dog drinks at home during the day, but she is without water all night every night, because she sleeps in a room away from her food and water. And she's fine.

I've never let my dogs stick their heads out of the window, so her behavior is a plus, in that regard, in my opinion.

If she rides quietly in the car for long distances, I think that is good, not an issue to be concerned about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's okay. She's fine. If she were unbearably thirsty, she would take a drink.

If you can't stop worrying about it, offer her some ice cubes to crunch.

My dog is crated in my daughter's room at night and doesn't have access to water for the 10 hours they are asleep. She's just fine. 

Not all dogs like sticking their heads out of the windows of cars, and that's okay. All dogs are different people. 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why putting one's head out a window is desirable? Maybe I'm missing something?

I don't think anyone should be driving for 6+ hours without taking a break to stretch their legs and rest their mind. Humans and dogs both need breaks. 10 - 15 minute breaks every hour or two makes for a safer and easier journey physically. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't worry about not drinking for six hours. My dog often goes that long between drinks when away from home.  Decent stops for everyone - including the driver - would be good though.

I think it's safer for everyone's noses and paws to be inside the car, not sticking out the windows. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I don't think anyone should be driving for 6+ hours without taking a break to stretch their legs and rest their mind. Humans and dogs both need breaks. 10 - 15 minute breaks every hour or two makes for a safer and easier journey physically. 

We break more frequently than we did in our younger years, but I would be losing my mind if we stopped every hour or two, not resting it, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Echoing the others -- I don't see anything concerning here. I don't understand why you'd want her to put her head out the window? It's dangerous regardless of speed. Assuming you're running the AC when necessary and the vehicle is nice and cool then I don't see going six hours w/o drinking as anything to worry about. Now, having said that--it's possible she has a wee bit of motion sickness, just enough to make her not want to consume anything while in motion. You can give Bonine or Dramamine to dogs (look up dosage online, make sure you don't get anything with artificial sugars or anything like that) or you can get something from your vet. What your vet would prescribe would most likely be Cerenia, and it's a fabulous thing to have in your dog emergency kit anyway. It helps with motion sickness or just about any tummy upset that causes nausea and/or vomiting. When we were RV'ing I always kept some on hand for the dogs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If she’s “freezing”, she might do better  crated or having some other version of containment to feel more secure within a larger moving object.

Pebbles flung at any speed are still dangerous. I’m flashing back to bike riding in suburbia as cars drove past, kicking up debris.

Stop the car and put her water bowl on the ground for a few minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, katilac said:

We break more frequently than we did in our younger years, but I would be losing my mind if we stopped every hour or two, not resting it, lol. 

I think drivers tend to tell themselves that they are alert and fine for hours on end. I know from working at a computer all day, that I'm not alert and focused for many hours at a time. Plus one's body isn't made to be sitting still for hours at a time. We get stiff, perhaps start squirming, and generally get a little destracted because of it.

I'm just providing some Health and Safety ideas. You don't have to follow them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We regularly travel 4 hours to visit family. Our dog does great.  Our big problem is that she wants to play in the car and if she has a ball she will drop it into the front seat which can be dangerous for the driver.  So we give her her stuffed monkey and then she drops that on to dh’s shoulder wanting  him to throw it…..

We take a collapsible water bowl but she doesn’t seem too interested.  Also Dh seemed obsessed with stopping and making her potty. She never would go though…..too much going on etc.  I think after 2 years he might have got her to go one time. Also we often don’t even stop at all….but 4 hours is about my limit for needing to stop for a few minutes.  

So I think Shiloh is fine.  Probably has motion sickness. 

• Thanks 1

Group reply - busy!

Carrie, that is interesting.  I need to consider that!  Thanks for sharing.  
Scarlett, lol! Yes, I can see where dropping the toy would be distracting.

OK, thanks for the general consensus.  

Window - this is NOT NOT NOT done at highway/freeway speeds.  This is even just through neighborhood going 15.  But, it's something to not push if she doesn't feel comfortable.   Not a big deal.

Driving - I do need to remember when we're home she's more active and will drink more.  Also, now in summer, water consumption will be higher.  Combining activity in this heat will result in her gulping it down.  She's not getting activity in the car and a/c is on she perhaps she just doesn't "need" to drink. Yes, we will stop 2 times or so on 6+ hours.  Yesterday it was 3 or 4.  But, she might not always pee b/c she will not have had anything to drink.  

Pawz, thanks for the tip.  I was hoping to stay away from a med.  Is there a "natural" remedy?  I'll google.  I follow a "natural" vet and will check in the see what he says.  What Carrie says makes sense as well and combined together may be the ticket.  I don't know if we can fit a crate in our suv but perhaps propping up a "temporary wall" or such and maybe overhead - lay a blanket on top.  We did this when this little pup was being crate-trained.  

I'm glad she's ok though not drinking for 6 hours.

***  Please make suggestions if dh and I do buy that small RV to travel, how we might avoid this situation.  I guess the same rule applies but we'll be traveling for longer distances each day than 6 hours.  Back to the "temporary/make-shift crate and blanket" perhaps and a natural dose of something.  

When we stop she will NOT drink water each time we place it on ground.  That's the unusual thing.  She will pee but not everytime.

Thanks everyone.  I have the 2 projects above to help.

9 hours ago, katilac said:

We do those breaks when we’re tired and need to keep switching drivers so we can stay alert.

I think my dh would like more frequent stops, but if I’m driving and I’m wide awake, I don’t want to lose my momentum!

It’s probably healthier to take the breaks, though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sheryl said:

***  Please make suggestions if dh and I do buy that small RV to travel, how we might avoid this situation.  I guess the same rule applies but we'll be traveling for longer distances each day than 6 hours.  Back to the "temporary/make-shift crate and blanket" perhaps and a natural dose of something.

You can't avoid it in the sense that you already have it now. You can start working on improving the situation by doing lots and lots and lots of short rides around home. Like start with a mile, work up to two miles, then five and ten. It won't magically be any better in an RV. If it's motion sickness expect it to be worse (RVs sway and bounce WAY more than any regular passenger vehicle). Sadly, not all dogs adapt well to RV'ing. If/when you do get an RV you'll want to repeat the conditioning process-lots of short rides before you attempt a longer trip. You also want to get her used to hanging out in the RV so that she's very used to it. Campgrounds are pretty intolerant of excessive barking, so you absolutely have to make sure she's comfortable and relaxed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, katilac said:

Yes! We'd feel like we were never going to get there on our 10-13 hr. trips. We do usually swap out drivers though. Even when we do stop, our dog often won't relieve himself or drink water. We just made a stop, and he took about 2 laps of water. Sometimes he won't drink any. If we stopped every hour or two, he still wouldn't go, and then we'd probably get frustrated with him, which wouldn't solve anything. There is probably some anxiety on his part, so he doesn't follow his usually at-home patterns, but the experiences are good for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Yes! We'd feel like we were never going to get there on our 10-13 hr. trips. We do usually swap out drivers though. Even when we do stop, our dog often won't relieve himself or drink water. We just made a stop, and he took about 2 laps of water. Sometimes he won't drink any. If we stopped every hour or two, he still wouldn't go, and then we'd probably get frustrated with him, which wouldn't solve anything. There is probably some anxiety on his part, so he doesn't follow his usually at-home patterns, but the experiences are good for him.

All of these replies are helpful.  Jaybee, for you, does your dog "freeze" or stretch, walk about or really shift at all?  Or, stay frozen?   The frozen part really bothers me but it does say what Pawz and others have said and that is it's probably motion sickness.  I'd like to know if your dog freezes/stays put.

8 minutes ago, sheryl said:

All of these replies are helpful.  Jaybee, for you, does your dog "freeze" or stretch, walk about or really shift at all?  Or, stay frozen?   The frozen part really bothers me but it does say what Pawz and others have said and that is it's probably motion sickness.  I'd like to know if your dog freezes/stays put.

He moves around. He mostly likes to lie down on the console between the front seats with his head usually on either my or dh's leg. That way, if the driver runs over the ridges on the side, he can pop up and look around to make sure we are doing things right, lol. But sometimes he will lie down on the back seat between ds and ds. He mostly naps, but has to check things out now and then, especially if there is any kind of different sound.

• Thanks 1

Do your give her cold water from your own home? Our dogs refused to drink water from rest area faucets, campgrounds, relatives' homes. One of our dogs would not eat for almost two days each time we traveled, took very little water and refused to go potty. Our children are similar, lol, so it becomes quite the poopalooza whenever reaching our destination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jaybee, thanks!  That might be part of the problem.  ????  She is back there by herself.  Dh and I are up front.  Shi is in middle seats by herself and the back holds luggage.  She PANTS for probably 50% of the trip.  It's nerves and so motion sickness.

Idalou, we did bring water from home but gave after she drank that in hotel room she did drink local water.  But, she won't drink even the water we leave from home.  We'll take the advice and make one of the stops a little longer break.  What Innisfree said! 

3 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Jaybee, thanks!  That might be part of the problem.  ????  She is back there by herself.  Dh and I are up front.  Shi is in middle seats by herself and the back holds luggage.  She PANTS for probably 50% of the trip.  It's nerves and so motion sickness.

Idalou, we did bring water from home but gave after she drank that in hotel room she did drink local water.  But, she won't drink even the water we leave from home.  We'll take the advice and make one of the stops a little longer break.  What Innisfree said! 

Our former dog would almost hyperventilate every time we took her anywhere. I'm not sure if she had little experience or a bad one with her previous owners, but she was a basket case in the car. Maybe Shiloh is also just more sensitive in general, and it may take her more trips to be able to relax and calm down.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I would absolutely get her some motion sickness medication. It is miserable to be carsick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We just went on a 17 hour/2 day trip with our dog (total of four days in car if you count trip out and return trip).

Her never panted unless he was hot. He did drink but not as much as perhaps was normal. We had one of those carryalong thermos things for dogs that we had water in, and when we stopped (every two or three hours for gas or food), we would offer him something to drink. When he was really hot (long story)--I fed him ice.  He was able to come up between us and lay down in between the seats.

Usually at mealtimes we would pick up food and eat at a park so he could get a bit of a sniff and walk. The other stops were much briefer.

I would make sure he is getting air conditioning in the back seats.

He didn't eat normally on any day we traveled, but he did eat some.

Our dog has never wanted to put his head out the window. He prefers to sniff the air coming through the air conditioning vent. LOL.

Edited by cintinative
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

We just went on a 17 hour/2 day trip with our dog (total of four days in car if you count trip out and return trip).

Her never panted unless he was hot. He did drink but not as much as perhaps was normal. We had one of those carryalong thermos things for dogs that we had water in, and when we stopped (every two or three hours for gas or food), we would offer him something to drink. When he was really hot (long story)--I fed him ice.  He was able to come up between us and lay down in between the seats.

Usually at mealtimes we would pick up food and eat at a park so he could get a bit of a sniff and walk. The other stops were much briefer.

I would make sure he is getting air conditioning in the back seats.

He didn't eat normally on any day we traveled, but he did eat some.

Our dog has never wanted to put his head out the window. He prefers to sniff the air coming through the air conditioning vent. LOL.

Shiloh pants on/off for half the time.  Approximately.  I think dogs run warmer.  We are in s.e. and even though we headed north on rt. 77, it's end of June and getting hot.  I set her temp to reach coldest temperature.  In our suv it reads numerically down to 65 and notch below that idk what that would be considered.   Still, 65 is cool a/c and it's below the 65 but the number doesn't read below that.  The speed of fan was on highest.  We do have a/c vents for the rear as well.  Yes, my sister, you and maybe another pp suggest ice.  I will make a note to do this.  I found a soft side foldable carrier for her on FB Marketplace.  It's used and priced well but it's BIG and will decrease capacity of luggage space significantly.  We would still have room to add luggage and misc but it would be packed.

Would any of you advise this soft-side carrier or do any of you think it's not necessary?

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 1

Right, above!  Maybe, but dogs "like" to be crated.  That's pretty typical for dogs.  This is vented all around with multiple openings.  IDK, I may look for the right kind of dog bed.  We had her on one but it always slipped.  Just brainstorming!  

33 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Right, above!  Maybe, but dogs "like" to be crated.  That's pretty typical for dogs.  This is vented all around with multiple openings.  IDK, I may look for the right kind of dog bed.  We had her on one but it always slipped.  Just brainstorming!  

Some dogs like crates. Some dogs hate crates. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Chill out. Put the fist back in your pocket.

Um, right back at you? I made a very short, lighthearted comment about not liking to make frequent stops, complete with "lol" at the end and you respond that I don't have to follow your safety tips. I mean, obviously? so it had to be a joke? and I made a joking response in return, complete with corresponding emojis. I promise that my fists are never accompanied by laughing emojis. 

If you said that in all seriousness, I have no response to that. 

4 hours ago, sheryl said:

Shiloh pants on/off for half the time.  Approximately.  I think dogs run warmer.  We are in s.e. and even though we headed north on rt. 77, it's end of June and getting hot.  I set her temp to reach coldest temperature.  In our suv it reads numerically down to 65 and notch below that idk what that would be considered.   Still, 65 is cool a/c and it's below the 65 but the number doesn't read below that.  The speed of fan was on highest.  We do have a/c vents for the rear as well.  Yes, my sister, you and maybe another pp suggest ice.  I will make a note to do this.  I found a soft side foldable carrier for her on FB Marketplace.  It's used and priced well but it's BIG and will decrease capacity of luggage space significantly.  We would still have room to add luggage and misc but it would be packed.

Would any of you advise this soft-side carrier or do any of you think it's not necessary?

Panting can mean other things in dogs than being hot. It can be a signal that they are stressed or uncomfortable with the situation. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, katilac said:

Um, right back at you? I made a very short, lighthearted comment about not liking to make frequent stops, complete with "lol" at the end and you respond that I don't have to follow your safety tips. I mean, obviously? so it had to be a joke? and I made a joking response in return, complete with corresponding emojis. I promise that my fists are never accompanied by laughing emojis. 

If you said that in all seriousness, I have no response to that. 

You can't hide rudeness with emojis. 

25 minutes ago, katilac said:

Ok. if you think your initial response is polite when stated seriously, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

I have no idea why you quoted me in the first place. Just remember that. Something I posted ticked you off, but that's on you. 

On 6/25/2022 at 10:26 PM, wintermom said:

I don't know why putting one's head out a window is desirable? Maybe I'm missing something?

21 hours ago, katilac said:

I just have to say that @katilac’s response was exactly what I was thinking.  But it was not anything to be so defensive and then frankly aggressive about. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤔

• Like 2

katilac and wintermom, 

thank you for input from you both.  see, texting/replies - the written word conveys much but lacks in emotional cues.  i said something to my cousin's daughter (grown adult) the other day.  to the untrained ear it would seem i was signaling her out but i wasn't.  i called to "further" explain that I was not signaling her out. (i was right and she admitted she was wrong but i called because i was not signaling her out which in the words i used could have across that way).   

please - i'm not shaming either one of you.  🙂  input is welcomed from both of you!  surely it's just a misunderstanding.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Have you talked to your vet? You might be able to give her some Valerian or something natural to relax her. It sounds like anxiety. My dog used to pant and blow fur in the car, but her was an overall weird bundle of nerves. 

right, i need to pick up some nexgard this week and will discuss with them.  thanks for the idea!  

i found a soft-side carrier but as catwoman said it may make things worse.  i'll consider all options and discuss with vet.  dh and i are going to take turns sitting with her in the back - well, middle row of our suv.  we'll just have to try through process of elimination figure it out and hopefully something will work.  there may not be an easy answer. as you mention I may need to consider a homeopathic remedy.  Will try the other options first and reserve natural remedy as the card up the sleeve.

1 hour ago, Jaybee said:

Yes, our dog pants when he is anxious.

I've been a Puppy Walker for Guide Dogs for the Blind for several years, and our 'puppies' of ages 10 months to 2 years, can start panting when we introduce them to new things, like going inside a store, office, elevator, etc.  The panting is so subtle and doesn't really come across as stressed behaviour, but my Puppy Walker Supervisor, who sees hundreds of dogs, picked up on it and pointed it out right away.

• Like 3

Dogs can pant for many reasons besides being hot. Chief among them are fear, anxiety, stress, pain or otherwise not feeling well. Some diseases and some medications can cause/contribute to panting. If @sheryl's vehicle's temperature was around 65 then I don't think it's likely at all that Shiloh was panting due to being hot.

• Like 2

Some unsolicited advice--if you DO decide to try an anti-anxiety med, make sure you give it a trial run prior to any trips. My dog had a paradoxical reaction to one of his anti-anxiety meds--it actually made him more antsy. It happens. It would be better not to find out while you are driving.  😃

I hope you can figure it out! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a GSD that wouldn't pee when we were travelling. We would stop every 4-6 hours, take her out, walk her around, try to get her to pee. Never worked. Some of our drive days were 12 hours long, but she wouldn't pee. We joked about needing to train her to pee on command. Eventually, when we stopped for the night, she would pee for a very long time. She never had UTI problems, so we figured as long as she could hold it and we were giving her opportunities, we wouldn't worry about it.

I wonder if this might be similar to the Shiloh drinking. When she's thirsty, she'll drink. Unless it causes problems, I probably wouldn't worry about it. If you're frequently travelling in an RV, she'll most likely figure out the routine and settle down. 

Our other GSD loved riding with the windows down. We realized we had a problem, though, when we were stopped at a stoplight in the middle of the city and she jumped out of the window to get a rock. Thankfully she returned right away after getting the rock, but we caused a bit of a traffic jam that afternoon. I don't open the windows all the way anymore.  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1