Menu

7th Grade Realistic Adventure Books

hjffkj

I'm planning my upcoming 7th graders school year and it will be focused on realistic adventure books, as opposed to fantasy adventures, at her request. So, if anyone would like to help me compile a long list of books to present to her when we sit down to narrow things down that would greatly be appreciated.

She doesn't want nonfiction but is willing to give some a chance if they're well written stories.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, caffeineandbooks said:

Can realistic adventure include adventurous historical fiction? 

* My Side of the Mountain

* Tom Sawyer

* The Sign of the Beaver

* Call it Courage (Armstrong Sperry)

* Banner in the Sky (Ullman)

* Johnny Tremain

* Hatchet

I think so.  It can even include things in the story that are fantastical. She just doesn't want the setting to be a fantasy world a la olkein or Lewis.

16 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

Can realistic adventure include adventurous historical fiction? 

* My Side of the Mountain

* Tom Sawyer

* The Sign of the Beaver

* Call it Courage (Armstrong Sperry)

* Banner in the Sky (Ullman)

* Johnny Tremain

* Hatchet

I wondered the same thing. Some of the ones you have listed were big hits for Oldest DS11.

More ideas:

Swiss Family Robinson

Carry On, Mr Bowditch

The Captains Dog

The Chestry Oak

The Switherby Pilgrims

Eagle of the Ninth trilogy

Heart of a Samarai

The King's Fifth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all.  I will look into all of these books and let her look at them as well. Any other suggestions are welcome.  This child has me baffled this year.  She truly resists all things school related even when it's tailored entirely to her interests.  But at least this year she started tried participating in the school planning conversation hence the need to find realistic books that are adventures. 

survival realistic adventure
The Cay (Taylor)
A Long Walk to Water (Park)
The Incredible Journey (Burnford)
My Side of the Mountain (George)

realistic "small adventures"
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (Kelly)
Because of Winn Dixie (DiCamillo)
Maniac Magee (Spinelli)

historical adventure
The Nerviest Girl in the World (Wiley) -- early 1900s silent movie student woman
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (Avi) - 1800s, sea voyage
The Midwife's Apprentice (Cushman) -- Medieval

nonfiction adventure
Bomb: The Race to Build and Steal the World's Most Dangerous Weapon (Sheinkin)
Lincoln's Grave Robbers (Sheinkin)

biographies (realistic adventure of real life/character)
"Over 25 Biographies That Will Inspire Your Middle School Student"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

"The adventure of the speckled band" is a great book. It was one of my favs during teenhood. You can check some info about this book on this source https://paperap.com/free-papers/the-adventure-of-the-speckled-band/ (it's an educational site, students often use it to get a new eye on the topics of their abstracts) if you want. I hope she'll enjoy it!

We just learned about the Superstition Mountain Mysteries series. It's shaping up to be pretty fun but we haven't finished it yet. It's listed up to grade 7. The Superstition Mountain is a real place and the story is about fictional, modern day kids. 

Edited by SilverMoon

On 6/25/2022 at 4:09 PM, hjffkj said:

Thank you all.  I will look into all of these books and let her look at them as well. Any other suggestions are welcome.  This child has me baffled this year.  She truly resists all things school related even when it's tailored entirely to her interests.  But at least this year she started tried participating in the school planning conversation hence the need to find realistic books that are adventures. 

What about some non fiction survival type manuals? Les Stroud's Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere - Alive might be good, and watch a bunch of episodes of his show Survivor Man. It's pretty educational! 

On 6/23/2022 at 4:06 PM, hjffkj said:

realistic adventure books

Did you try googling for "teen adventure books for junior high"? You're getting lots of classics here, but she might also enjoy newer things. This could lean biography (teen biographies) also. You might be able to stretch it a bit. 🙂

https://www.readbrightly.com/middle-grade-adventures-for-tweens-not-ready-for-ya/  My dd enjoyed the Alex Rider books. 

If someone is pushing against fiction, might be good to explore their social thinking and narrative language to see if there are any issues there. 

My daughter has gotten into historical fiction adventure books by Jennifer Nielsen. She loved Words on Fire, which is about a girl who starts working with the Lithuanian resistance fighters against the Russian occupation at the end of the 19th century. She also liked Resistance, about a girl Jewish Polish resistance teenager during WWII who helps smuggle weapons in for the Warsaw Uprising. Books are well researched and accurate, the second one especially has some very sad parts but they are also inspiring. Nielsen also has a few others we haven't read yet, but they are on birthday lists 🙂I personally really like how the books show girls that they really can make a difference without ringing false, if that makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Is Holes appropriate here? The text itself shouldn't be challenging for a 7th grader, but the story and characters are pretty deep (pun intended) and have a lot of room for close reading, predicting foreshadowing, and character analysis. (All during the book, as a lot becomes obvious in hindsight)