Menu

Should DD send her AP score report...?

DD ended up taking the AP Chem this past May. Long story and not part of the original plan, but basically for validation, as she was considering brick and mortar school at the time.  Is there any reason why DD should send her Ap score report somewhere? It seems to me she just shouldn't send it, but the website says a student should send it to indicate interest in a college.  She has no idea where she wants to go to college at this point.

If she intend to start dual enrollment in fall, the community college would give credit for a good AP Chem score so its worth using the free score reports. I would however do the student registration at those community colleges first before activating the free score reports so that they have a student to match to the AP score report that they are receiving.

I believe sending AP score reports to colleges to show interest is when she in a high school junior and going to apply soon. 

• Like 1

Never send the score report before you know the score. Even if you have a kid who aces all tests... you just do not know what will happen with that score. If she took AP chem this year, she doesn't have the score yet. So the answer is no, don't send it.

I think the send to show interest thing is absurd. It's a CB marketing thing. There's only one school that needs the score report - the school where she's committed once she's a graduating senior. Or, if she takes dual enrollment and needs to place out. But otherwise, just that school where she's going to enroll.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Did we ever sort out whether we can choose which AP scores we send? Is it an all or nothing proposition?

OP, for reference, I’ve yet to send the AP score report to the college that DS is enrolling in. 

You can. There's a form to withhold. They just charge you. But, you know, they charge everyone for everything, so that's not a shock. I would usually not bother withholding a score for a college a student is already enrolled in though. I mean, if there's a pattern of lots of 2's, maybe. But if we're talking about a single 2 or 3 - especially if it was for the first online exam that crazy pandemic year - then it's not even worth the $10, IMHO.

https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/score-reporting-services/withhold-scores

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Farrar said:

. There's only one school that needs the score report - the school where she's committed once she's a graduating senior.

Forgive my ignorance— I should know from my own experience but it was so long ago….. so you don’t need to send score reports to the schools you apply to? Will they (the school you apply to) take the transcript at face value and not require documentation from the CB? 

There is no need to send the score. Most schools use AP for placement and not the score but the class for rigor in admissions. I have my dd send hers to a school she is doing DE with but she is not applying to the school for college freshman admissions 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Farrar said:

You can. There's a form to withhold. They just charge you. But, you know, they charge everyone for everything, so that's not a shock. I would usually not bother withholding a score for a college a student is already enrolled in though. I mean, if there's a pattern of lots of 2's, maybe. But if we're talking about a single 2 or 3 - especially if it was for the first online exam that crazy pandemic year - then it's not even worth the $10, IMHO.

https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/score-reporting-services/withhold-scores

Mm, the withhold form seems to be only for that year’s APs. Looks like you lose the ability to withhold earlier scores of not by June 15 of that year?

6 hours ago, WTM said:

Forgive my ignorance— I should know from my own experience but it was so long ago….. so you don’t need to send score reports to the schools you apply to? Will they (the school you apply to) take the transcript at face value and not require documentation from the CB? 

You can self-report the scores on the application. They do take it at value, but they also sometimes audit what students tell them, so there's a pretty big penalty for lying.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Mm, the withhold form seems to be only for that year’s APs. Looks like you lose the ability to withhold earlier scores of not by June 15 of that year?

No, you can withhold at any time. The June 15th thing only applies if a student indicated already that they wanted the scores sent. If your son hasn't sent the scores, it should be fine.

You can also cancel at any time. That should also have the same June 15 deadline though - but again, it only applies to stopping a score report from being sent this year.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WTM said:

CSU does require. DS17 had to send his SAT/ACT/AP scores asap after submitting his application 

UC does not require.

https://help.liaisonedu.com/Cal_State_Apply_Applicant_Help_Center/Sending_Your_Official_Test_Scores_to_Cal_State_Apply/Sending_Official_Test_Scores_to_Cal_State_Apply/Official_AP_Scores
“This section only applies to the 2022-2023 application cycle.

Overview

Official AP scores are submitted electronically to Cal State Apply directly from College Board using the CSU system-wide code #3594. Scores sent to this code are available to all campuses you apply to. Paper copies are not accepted.

Official AP scores from College Board can be received by Cal State Apply at any point during the application cycle, even after your application is submitted; however, some campuses may have a deadline by which they want your scores posted. Once your official AP scores are attached to your application, they cannot be removed”

• Thanks 1