Menu

a question of ethics

I realize this may sound like a no-brainer, but would you let your child take unscanned gift cards from stores. No money was put on them. II am looking for some other opinions because my girlfriend and I are arguing over this. She thinks there is nothing wrong with it and has even given them to her kids. What do you think?

I realize this may sound like a no-brainer, but would you let your child take unscanned gift cards from stores. No money was put on them. II am looking for some other opinions because my girlfriend and I are arguing over this. She thinks there is nothing wrong with it and has even given them to her kids. What do you think?

Why doesn't she just put $5 bucks on them?

My theory is that if you have to sneak it out of the store and don't want a check out person to see it, then no... it's not okay.

Plus... it's just weird!

I think it's inappropriate and would not allow my children to take them.

That said, I don't think it's worth driving a wedge between you and your friend either. Agree to disagree and make sure *your* children know that *they* are not allowed to take them... They are intended as a service to the people who buy gift cards, not as souvenirs.

There are many issues large and small where I've had to tell my children, "Some families have different rules. You just have to worry about ours." I don't have to allow them to do everything their friends are allowed to do (even when there is no ethical decision involved), just like some of their friends have rules that, for whatever reason, are not major concerns in our home. (Edit: Of course, I don't mean it's okay to ignore someone else's rules when visiting that person's home. If I occasionally allow popcorn while watching a movie but their friends allow eating only at the dining table, then "when in Rome"...)

That said, I don't think it's worth driving a wedge between you and your friend either. Agree to disagree and make sure *your* children know that *they* are not allowed to take them... They are intended as a service to the people who buy gift cards, not as souvenirs.

QUOTE]

I agree.

I think it's inappropriate and would not allow my children to take them.

There are many issues large and small where I've had to tell my children, "Some families have different rules. You just have to worry about ours." I don't have to allow them to do everything their friends are allowed to do (even when there is no ethical decision involved), just like some of their friends have rules that, for whatever reason, are not major concerns in our home.

I would never let my guys take them but they know there are tons of things that "others may but we may not".

Kari

My kids aren't allowed to take anything that's not paid for- even if we find a stray ball or toy that has obviously been left by some other kid. If it's not paid for then it's not ours. My kids are not old enough to see the grey area either.

I wouldn't let my children take the gift cards b/c it sets a poor precedent. They might not understand that while there is no inherent value in that item, what about the next item they desire which appears to be worthless?

Better to not send confusing signals while parenting our children. I don't believe what she did was illegal, but not the best parenting choice.

Nope, that is stealing and I wouldn't allow it.

There is really no good reason for a child to just take an unloaded gift card and walk around with it. It isn't a toy, it is a piece of merchandise. I understand that it has no monetary value until it gets loaded, but it was put in the store to be sold.

I wouldn't continue to argue with my friend about it, either, because it doesn't sound like you're going to change her mind. And I agree with what others said regarding "ever family has its own rules." And I don't think I'd let my kids go shopping with that woman.

secret.gifSometimes I just don't understand people. What if every kid in the store who felt like playing with a gift card took one home? How many would be left? What happens when paying customers can't get the card they want because kids are playing with them? Doesn't that kid have enough toys already at home? I mean, really. Doesn't that mom ever get credit card offers in the mail that come with the fake card? Why can't her kids play with those?

Yeeeeeeeesh!

(I feel like that "Aunt Linda" character from SNL)

No, I would not let my children do that. Anything taken without paying for it is considered stealing. My child has tried to argue his way around this one before, with something he found on the floor. Like I told him, My rule still stands, unless you paid for it, then no it is not yours.

Aside from the fact that it's stealing, why open *that* can of worms? I can see the future filled with endless discussions about "if that's okay, why can't I do *this*? Kids are so adept at trying to compare apples and oranges when they're trying to justify something they know in their heart isn't right. Heck, adults are pretty good at it, too.

Besides that, there are so many better ways to handle it! It's not like she's in a tight spot and has to decide whether to feed her kids, bounce a check or just steal a box of cereal!

You don't mention why the kids even want the cards, but one that's already been used would be an easy solution. And if it's because of the cute pictures -- and some of them are really cute, aren't they?! -- it's easy enough to just get one, put a couple of bucks on it (as has already been suggested) and have done with it, avoiding any ethical dilemma from the start.

I agree that trying to change your friend's mind isn't worth the trouble -- and it's certainly not an issue that's big enough to end a friendship. But things like this always stick in the back of my mind. This, yes, could be considered little thing. But are there bigger things there, too?

Sometimes I think if I have to say, "I don't care what *they* do -- I care about what *you* do!" one more time . . .

I would email the store and ask. Then I would forward their response.

i would also add a note that I am doing it so she can avoid any problems w/ obsessive managers in the future :)

Then i would buy a gift card w/ $2 for each of my own kids and let her kids watch my dc spend it. Her kids will NEVER want an empty card again, lol!

This reminds me of that article that was linked here a few days ago about kids and honesty -- and the responsibility parents bear for setting the example for their kids' dishonesty. I wouldn't want to set my children on that slippery slope -- giving them the message that it's okay to take something that isn't theirs as long as in their judgment it's of little enough value to the rightful owner.

And I just have to ask -- why do the kids need those gift cards anyway? Why even consider taking them at all? To what purpose?

No, I will not let my kids have them, play with them in line (who wants the cardboard bent and grimy, KWIM?)

DS will pick up loose change on the ground (penny, nickel, etc) and then tell a store employee that he found it. 9/10 times they thank his honesty and tell him to add it to his piggy bank.

I haven't read any replies (no time to do so) so I am answering the OP questions:

No! But that is me. If there was a card (which I did at Christmas time) that I really wanted, I would take it up there and put $5.00 on it then use it at the next shopping trip then tell them I want to keep the card. This is what I did at Christmas time when I saw a card that I really loved.

In regards to ethics, I have no clue. For me and my family we do not feel comfortable in doing that.

HTH

Holly