Menu

Launching a adult child

I have an adult DD who did not have academic problems in school, but she never quite fit in. She was diagnosed as ADHD in elementary school. As a college student she was diagnosed with moderate anxiety and autism. She has struggled since she went to college. She left college without finishing and has been struggling ever since, struggling with finding and keeping jobs, and with finding her own place to live. On top of that we live in a rural area with not many resources or job opportunities.

Over the years, I have had to reframe my thinking many times about what it means for her to be “successful” and that did in up including learning how to navigate the system of public assistance. 

We had a major success this week. After a long waiting period, she finally got an apartment in our local income based Public Housing. (Because of where we live, public housing is not the horror that is often depicted on TV.) She now has her own place to live that she can afford and where she can continue to live even if she is “between job”. She is finally going to be able to completely move out of her parents house and be independent. She got the utilities switched over all on her own with a little assistance from the lady at the housing office. I went with her when she went to sign the lease, but I only had to give her a couple of verbal prompts when she got a little overwhelmed with the process.

This is exactly what we have both needed for a long time. I feel such a sense of relief that she finally gets to move on and move out.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

I have an adult DD who did not have academic problems in school, but she never quite fit in. She was diagnosed as ADHD in elementary school. As a college student she was diagnosed with moderate anxiety and autism. She has struggled since she went to college. She left college without finishing and has been struggling ever since, struggling with finding and keeping jobs, and with finding her own place to live. On top of that we live in a rural area with not many resources or job opportunities.

Over the years, I have had to reframe my thinking many times about what it means for her to be “successful” and that did in up including learning how to navigate the system of public assistance. 

We had a major success this week. After a long waiting period, she finally got an apartment in our local income based Public Housing. (Because of where we live, public housing is not the horror that is often depicted on TV.) She now has her own place to live that she can afford and where she can continue to live even if she is “between job”. She is finally going to be able to completely move out of her parents house and be independent. She got the utilities switched over all on her own with a little assistance from the lady at the housing office. I went with her when she went to sign the lease, but I only had to give her a couple of verbal prompts when she got a little overwhelmed with the process.

This is exactly what we have both needed for a long time. I feel such a sense of relief that she finally gets to move on and move out.

That's wonderful!

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Do you know about the social club for parents of young adults on the spectrum? It sounds like you have wisdom and experience to offer there. 🙂 

This! Your daughter has some similarities with one of mine, and I would love so much to get her to where yours is now. That didn’t used to be the goal, but I would be darn relieved if I knew we could reach that place eventually. How old is your daughter?

• Like 1