Menu

Algebra Help!!

KBadd

I'm trying to figure out Algebra 1 for my 2 boys next year:

Both have completed Singapore Math up through 6B, and I feel like we've been floundering since finishing that a year ago.

We tried AOPS Pre-algebra.  It felt like we were slogging through.  Neither one liked it and really don't want to return to it.  I felt like it was too difficult for them to do simple equations like  (-4) x 3 = -12.  It didn't seem to be sinking in.  Based on friends' recommendations we stopped AOPS about 1/3 of the way through the book I think? and we did CTC Math Pre-algebra.  This they liked better, but I didn't like how there was no mathematical thinking/reasoning, no explaining WHY this is what you do.  But it did help them get faster and more proficient with basic equations!  Neither boy "loves math." They just do it 🙂

Now I'm looking for a good option for them for Algebra 1.

Boy #1: Age 13 - more emotional and prone to get frustrated with math, and take shortcuts if he can, but his ability is actually there.  He has liked more help in the past but has gotten more independent and capable as he gets older.  He is much more literary, well-rounded.

Boy #2: Age 11 - typically outperforms his older brother in math.  Is like a machine with math - just does the work, no drama.  He's really good at math! But he didn't like AOPS because it felt too slow, and honestly he doesn't like to have to work that long LOL. But I do think a part of it was me trying to teach it.  I love algebra but it wasn't scheduled and planned out enough for me.  Now he doesn't want to do AOPS again.  I'd like something challenging enough for him though, but without killing any interest he has in math. 

Where do we go from here?

18 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

I really Foerster's alg books.  I think you can now get the solutions manual through Math Without Borders.

Is Foerster's pretty straight forward to teach?  I'm wondering if my oldest would benefit from videos or any other supplement.

19 hours ago, KBadd said:

Is Foerster's pretty straight forward to teach?

I have not seen the Foerster Algebra 1 book.

However, if you're concerned about your ability to teach high school math, the absolute best thing you can do is to run through the material yourself ahead of time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 5:06 PM, 8filltheheart said:

I have found it very thorough and straight forward.  We don't use videos.

Do you think a student who took a pre-algebra course that I'd describe as "adequate" is prepared for Foerster, or would you recommend they do MUS algebra or geometry as further preparation?  I'm deciding between Derek Owens and Foerster for both students but wondering if MUS would be helpful first. 

My kids complete 6th grade Horizons followed by MUS alg as pre-alg and then Foersters for alg.  I don't think that MUS alg is much above a standard pre-alg course, so from my perspective going from pre-alg to Foersters should be fine.  But, I have strong math students, so keep that in mind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

My kids complete 6th grade Horizons followed by MUS alg as pre-alg and then Foersters for alg.  I don't think that MUS alg is much above a standard pre-alg course, so from my perspective going from pre-alg to Foersters should be fine.  But, I have strong math students, so keep that in mind.

Thank you so much for all your input!  I'd say my students are pretty strong in math as well; it's never been a struggle for them.  One more question - about how much time do you spend sitting with your student and teaching them the concepts or working with them when you use Foersters? 

Teaching?  Depends on the day.  Maybe 10 mins avg?  I tend to grade math as they go along, but I am working with someone else or doing other things while they complete problems.  Then, if they are lacking understanding, I can step in immediately.  Some days that means that my teaching time is longer bc I am having to examine what they didn't comprehend and work through the misunderstandings.

• Like 1