Menu

Could we get a short "editing window?"

Spy Car

Perhaps a half-hour? Or less if need be, where a user gets a chance to fix typos or make minor edits w/o getting the post tagged as "edited just now."

I hate getting those myself, but I don't love leaving typos either. And I'm a poor typist. I fix errors when possible.

A little grace? 10 minutes would be better than nothing.

Please. 

Bill

ETA: And to prove the point, I typed "where I user" instead of "where a user" above so I suspect it might get tagged. Although as it has not yet "posted" (as new threads in this sub-forum require Mod approval, I wonder what will happens?

Maybe I will escape the dreaded "edited by" tag? We will see. 

Edited by Spy Car

1 minute ago, Rosie_0801 said:

You don't have the option if you click on the three dots in the top right hand corner of your post?

Of course I do.

Then the post gets tagged at the bottom as  having been edited.

I'm ordinary someone who would not be bothered by trivialities, "Who cares?" 

But, for whatever reason, it is one of those things that bugs me. I suspect I'm not alone.

Maybe I am alone? I can live with that.

I'd settle for 5  minutes w/o being "tagged."

Bill

Just now, Rosie_0801 said:

I suspect it is one of those annoying things we're stuck with; too small a problem to pay to fix, but I don't know. 

No. I'm pretty sure it is a simple Admin setting, as other forum that run this software allow a grace period.

Just a matter of checking a different box.

This forum was set of that way for a very long time. This feature/bug is fairly recent.

It would require someone with admin privileges, such as @Helpdesk but a very simple fix I would think

Bill

• Like 2

Wait. This could be a trap.

If I can successfully edit while my posts are being "moderated" and w/o having them "tagged," then maybe the "solution" I'll be offered is to have all my posts moderated from now on :tongue:

Oh dear. That would be even worse.

3 minutes and that's my last offer.

Bill

Hi, Bill-- 

I snooped around the administrative controls and don't see a switch to flip that will create an editing window.

Is the reason you ask for this that you find it annoying to see "post edited" when all you did was correct typos? or is there another reason?

I can ask the software developer if this is a feature in the system (I might have missed it in the controls list...) and let them know that it was a customer request. 

--Helpdesk

3 minutes ago, Helpdesk said:

Hi, Bill-- 

I snooped around the administrative controls and don't see a switch to flip that will create an editing window.

Is the reason you ask for this that you find it annoying to see "post edited" when all you did was correct typos? or is there another reason?

I can ask the software developer if this is a feature in the system (I might have missed it in the controls list...) and let them know that it was a customer request. 

--Helpdesk?, 

First, thanks for looking.

I guess the "post edited" tag looks large and intrusive to my eyes.

Most forums, perhaps they use different software?, have windows where one can edit w/o getting an "edited" tag.

I try to fix typos and other mistakes. I'd prefer to have a window to do that. Older software used by TWTM forum had this feature.

Thank you for your efforts with the developer.

Bill

I think (and I may be wrong) that the editing window wasn't for a particular amount of time, but was instead until someone read the post.

I absolutely remember that this was a thing at one point on these boards.

Edited by EKS

Here is what I found out:

This particular forum vendor's software does not include a "timed" or "until read" editing window.

As an administrator, I could flip a switch to make it so the field that shows "edited" either shows up (like it does now) or does not show up.  I'm going to leave it as it is, and bear with The Wrath of Bill (channeling Star Trek II, also revealing too much about my age in so doing). Maybe we can put "typos" in that field to indicate minor edits, and "content" (or something else) to show that it was a meaningful change.

If you want to know why I am going to leave it as it is, read on. Some people like to know backstory; others need to get back to making the peanut butter sandwiches for lunch.

I'm going to leave the note that a post has been edited because over the past 20 years, I've seen plenty of cases where Aamelia makes a post, and Bbobby responds, as does Cclarice and Ddoris...and then Aamelia goes back and edits to add the word "not" to the initial post, completely changing the meaning of the initial post, and making B, C, and D's posts look idiotic or mean. (Then the moderators start getting emails...)  It's a bit helpful to have the note that the initial post was edited.  Bbobby, Cclarice, and Ddoris can modify their posts if they wish (or have time to do so between the peanut butter sandwich of lunch and the spaghetti for dinner)...and so can the people who have responded to them.  

It's sort of a trade-off: a minor irritant in exchange for peace and harmony. 

Thanks for making the request. If the software had the feature, I'd be all in favor of using it - especially the one where it could be edited until it is read. Between my own screwy typing and auto-correct, I myself would be a major beneficiary of the feature. 

3 hours ago, Helpdesk said:

Here is what I found out:

This particular forum vendor's software does not include a "timed" or "until read" editing window.

As an administrator, I could flip a switch to make it so the field that shows "edited" either shows up (like it does now) or does not show up.  I'm going to leave it as it is, and bear with The Wrath of Bill (channeling Star Trek II, also revealing too much about my age in so doing). Maybe we can put "typos" in that field to indicate minor edits, and "content" (or something else) to show that it was a meaningful change.

If you want to know why I am going to leave it as it is, read on. Some people like to know backstory; others need to get back to making the peanut butter sandwiches for lunch.

I'm going to leave the note that a post has been edited because over the past 20 years, I've seen plenty of cases where Aamelia makes a post, and Bbobby responds, as does Cclarice and Ddoris...and then Aamelia goes back and edits to add the word "not" to the initial post, completely changing the meaning of the initial post, and making B, C, and D's posts look idiotic or mean. (Then the moderators start getting emails...)  It's a bit helpful to have the note that the initial post was edited.  Bbobby, Cclarice, and Ddoris can modify their posts if they wish (or have time to do so between the peanut butter sandwich of lunch and the spaghetti for dinner)...and so can the people who have responded to them.  

It's sort of a trade-off: a minor irritant in exchange for peace and harmony. 

Thanks for making the request. If the software had the feature, I'd be all in favor of using it - especially the one where it could be edited until it is read. Between my own screwy typing and auto-correct, I myself would be a major beneficiary of the feature. 

I appreciate you spending the time it took to look into it.

Bill

8 hours ago, Helpdesk said:

And I thank you for your understanding (especially my humor-attempt). Some things just are what they are.  --Helpdesk

Since you very empathetically showed an understanding of my internal rage, I decided to go easy on you  :tongue:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car