Menu

TT Geometry as Pre-Geometry?

Has anyone used Teaching Textbooks Geometry as a Pre-Geometry course for a mathematically strong middle schooler? 

DS9 will wrap up BA 5 & begin AOPS PreAlgebra next school year. I presume that will continue through 5th, lining him up for AOPS Intro to Algebra in 6th. My concern is getting to AOPS Geometry in 7th. I’ve heard it’s the most difficult in the Intro series & DS is a very algebraic thinker… Geometry may not come as easily to him.

TT Geometry seems very approachable. I’m thinking that it, in conjunction with Patty Paper Geometry. could form a fun middle school level introduction. Is the material solid? Is there any reason it shouldn’t be used? 

ETA: We would still plan to use a more rigorous geometry curriculum at the high school level. 

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax

I haven't used TT Geometry, but I teach Holt Geometry. I've always heard TT's Geometry course is their best one. 

Have you looked at the placement test? How would your son do on it? I took a look at it and don't see anything testing over radicals. Being able to work with those would be a necessary skill for most Geometry courses. 

Have you looked at Critical Thinking Company's Understanding Geometry? It's meant to be a middle school course and might be more colorful and fun. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Have you looked at the placement test? How would your son do on it?

Currently he would probably get 6/15 on the first section & 9/15 on the second. We’ll definitely be completing PreAlgebra & Intro to Algebra before getting to Geometry so he has 2-3yrs to pick up more of the algebraic background. He is familiar with radicals.

14 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Have you looked at Critical Thinking Company's Understanding Geometry? It's meant to be a middle school course and might be more colorful and fun. 

I like the puzzles, but it feels workbooky - like something intended to be completed independently, whereas we generally use a more Socratic method. (We would be reading from & discussing the physical TT book, not using their online platform). I can see him being very resistant to the CTC geometric constructions, which is what has me leaning toward Patty Paper for that particular element. PPG looks easier physically & the explorations look similar to the CTC puzzles. 

Mostly I just want him to be comfortable with vocabulary & two-column proofs prior to tackling AOPS Geometry in high school. 

• Like 1