Menu

Updates 2023 (job hunt etc)

heartlikealion

13 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

If you haven’t already, join the Nola Reddit group.  There’s an “asknola” group and a “neworleans” group and a “nola” group. 

When I was moving to this area and had a short time to research, one of the resources I used was the local Reddit group.  I found it very helpful.  I agree with Wildflower Mom.

• Like 2

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I don’t even know how to ask this. But do I sound crazy for wanting to move into a place in Nov? My dad is like what if they turn around and say hiring freeze and you’ve just signed a lease? 

I think he’s being paranoid. 

I do not have a start date but I’d rather be moving my items in early Nov than late Nov even if the job might not actually start til a few weeks from now (that’s after the drug test and background check clear). I do not want to be moving at Thanksgiving! I want to be settled. 

Please don't do a precipitous action and move before you have a contract,

Last week, there was a story in the news about a costly mistake a women's cheerleading coach made in moving from FL to VA without a contract. https://www.insider.com/camryn-spina-moved-florida-virginia-new-job-never-hired-2023-9

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Last week, there was a story in the news about a costly mistake a women's cheerleading coach made in moving from FL to VA without a contract. https://www.insider.com/camryn-spina-moved-florida-virginia-new-job-never-hired-2023-9

That’s awful! 
I think what I’ll do is ask the library for a written contract to show the future landlord but they may not be able to provide that til the background check & drug test are complete. So far they haven’t instructed me on where to go for the drug test. 
Possibly I could get my current landlords to agree to less than a month stay in Nov if I’m in limbo… since another tenant is moving in soon and will help offset the Nov rental income. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

That’s awful! 
I think what I’ll do is ask the library for a written contract to show the future landlord but they may not be able to provide that til the background check & drug test are complete. So far they haven’t instructed me on where to go for the drug test. 
Possibly I could get my current landlords to agree to less than a month stay in Nov if I’m in limbo… since another tenant is moving in soon and will help offset the Nov rental income. 

I know mortgage companies often will accept an offer letter with salary as part of the initial preapproval, so I'd think a landlord would as well. 

And I mean, it isn't like you are going to fail the drug test or background check, so that's not a real worry. 

And worst case, you look for another job, even temporary, in NOLA which will be easier than finding one where you are anyway. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

The vast majority of jobs don't have contracts. 

Most people in America have at-will employment, which means they can be fired for any reason or no reason. They can't be fired for being part of a protected class, but that's about it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I applied for the library job July 19. It seems like it would be just as much a waste of their time as mine to go this far with me only to turn around and say nevermind, we aren’t hiring. I believe they hired several candidates, too. So I feel pretty confident it will move along but I’d feel better getting a drug test date. Hope they send that soon. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, katilac said:

The vast majority of jobs don't have contracts. 

Most people in America have at-will employment, which means they can be fired for any reason or no reason. They can't be fired for being part of a protected class, but that's about it. 

I know that. But, in my view, at least with an email stating you are actually hired,  not just one saying you are hired pending drug screening and background check.  

We used to rebt out a house we owned. We had a management company handle the property.  But unless I knew a oerson well, I would never rent to someone who had a job offer contingent on drug screen and background check.My dd1 had a job at a medical clinic as an office worker and failures on drug testing were much more common than passes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I applied for the library job July 19. It seems like it would be just as much a waste of their time as mine to go this far with me only to turn around and say nevermind, we aren’t hiring. I believe they hired several candidates, too. So I feel pretty confident it will move along but I’d feel better getting a drug test date. Hope they send that soon. 

You can probably call or otherwise communicate where to go get one. Often they use a chain lab like Quest or Labcorp.

• Like 1

last night I had a candid chat with my landlady about moving mid month etc and she said she considers me a week-to-week tenant because they let me pay weekly as my unemployment money arrives that way. So it’s no problem if I have to leave mid month. 

Today I got an email from HR that their planned start date is end of November. After Thanksgiving. They said I’ll be contacted about the drug test within the next few weeks. 

So I guess I’ll just stay here a while. I started moving my stuff into the smaller room to make space for the new tenant that’s coming soon. They started running the heater here — sometimes at times that don’t seem necessary. So I have been closing my room air vent. 

I did mention to HR that at some point I think I’ll need a contract to show to a future landlord in lieu of paystubs. 

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I did mention to HR that at some point I think I’ll need a contract to show to a future landlord in lieu of paystubs. 

Re all the discussion on contracts to show for lease: I'm finding that an official offer letter, while not a contract, is usually sufficient for most landlords during the application process, so long as it has monthly wage and/or hourly rate + expected hours/we, and a start date. That, plus ability to pay the security deposit, seems to be the bar I'm being held to as I'm looking for housing under a similar situation of job offer + move. YMMV where you are, but the offer letter (that you signed, or will sign) is probably good enough, especially if it comes from a government entity. 

• Like 2

Yes, I’m sure they will deduce something from my request such as an official offer letter if that’s what they think works. The offer email does not look like something I’d want to print, though. 

And they said the drug test needs to be completed within 30 days of start so it implies to me that you could start work without it complete - however a landlord may want a letter that makes no reference to pending drug test etc. I’ll do the drug test as soon as possible. 

• Like 3

Oh I’m so glad you got the job offer!!!!! I just read about it now! I keep this thread open on my tabs because I’m invested! But I haven’t had a chance to be online since earlier last week.

What a relief. I feel so much tension reading this thread and think, “Surely, she has to get a job offer eventually! Surely!!” I’m so glad that it finally happened.

You have been amazingly strong. I can’t even imagine how hard this has been. You are an inspiration.

And 1.5 hours is a pain, but is absolutely doable. Four hours was basically impossible.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know if it’s premature but I’m going to attend an open house tomorrow for one place I have my eye on. Dd will tag along depending on babysitting options. My dad is busy and I’m not sure if I’ll burden my aunt. 

I emailed the listing contact a few days ago — unfortunately they ignored my questions (like pet policy) and said attend the open house if you’re still interested. 

I don’t want to waste a trip so I’ll drive by other properties as well. 

I’ve hit it off with that old guy friend — of course when I’m moving. Universe 🙄😆 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I don’t know if it’s premature but I’m going to attend an open house tomorrow for one place I have my eye on. Dd will tag along depending on babysitting options. My dad is busy and I’m not sure if I’ll burden my aunt.  

Good luck with it.

It's good for dd to tag along. One day she'll be wanting to go house hunting herself. 

I have 2 showings lined up (open house + a viewing) with dd. I didn’t hear back yet from most landlords and one said the place has been claimed. 

I invited ds but he passed and asked to see pics. 

Depending on timing we’ll meet up with my friend. We were invited to Oktoberfest but that might be too late in the day. I am trying to get us back in time for a trunk or treat. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Since I have to keep job hunting I saw a posting for a Learning Resource Coordinator at a small college and applied. The pay and location is better than the NOLA job. But don’t know if they will interview me. 

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looked at a few places. The last one is the only real contender. Dd HATES stairs/heights. One unit had lots of steep stairs to go up to the front door. But the staircase wasn’t so bad on the last unit. She’d have to get over it.

It has a designated parking lot and others cannot park there. It’s in walking distance to the French quarter but not blocked by parades. It has a gate to get to the unit. Inside is nice, remodeled a few years ago. 

Dd has been a pill but at least I saw how adamantly she hates stairs lol 

the beginning of the trip was awful. The place that I thought I loved online was disappointing in person. We were greeted by crappy roads, sketchy area, overpass at the end of the road, a nearby homeless man and to top it off a registered sex offender had just moved in next door so it was automatically a no all around. A random chicken was walking down the street too Lol 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Looked at a few places. The last one is the only real contender. Dd HATES stairs/heights. One unit had lots of steep stairs to go up to the front door. But the staircase wasn’t so bad on the last unit. She’d have to get over it.

It has a designated parking lot and others cannot park there. It’s in walking distance to the French quarter but not blocked by parades. It has a gate to get to the unit. Inside is nice, remodeled a few years ago. 

Dd has been a pill but at least I saw how adamantly she hates stairs lol 

the beginning of the trip was awful. The place that I thought I loved online was disappointing in person. We were greeted by crappy roads, sketchy area, overpass at the end of the road, a nearby homeless man and to top it off a registered sex offender had just moved in next door so it was automatically a no all around. A random chicken was walking down the street too Lol 

So did you get the one you liked?

I toured the inside of 3 places. The second was on a whim because the property manager said she had other properties and I followed her to the second (the stairs dd hated and no designated parking. Security/safety of that street felt questionable). I didn’t read the listing details til much later and it says no pets. I’m seeing a pattern where I will have to sacrifice security (don’t want to do that) or get a property manager to make exceptions (income requirements or pets). 😬

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I toured the inside of 3 places. The second was on a whim because the property manager said she had other properties and I followed her to the second (the stairs dd hated and no designated parking. Security/safety of that street felt questionable). I didn’t read the listing details til much later and it says no pets. I’m seeing a pattern where I will have to sacrifice security (don’t want to do that) or get a property manager to make exceptions (income requirements or pets). 😬

That really stinks!    

• Like 1

I’m applying to more jobs again. I’m worried that I just can’t do the NOLA move. $1200 rent is common and I won’t make 3x that. 

If they bent on the rent it would be because I have a decent credit score and have 2 former landlords that would speak highly of me. 

I actually have a friend that fudged their income to get into their rental. They can pay their rent/bills but didn’t meet the salary requirements. I won’t do that. But that’s just to show what an obstacle this kind of thing is. 

Some landlords are cool with a cat vs dog. It really just depends. But the no pet place isn’t highly desirable to me, anyway. 

In a city of that size, I would expect there to be companies that owned multiple properties, at least that's the way it is around here. I would try to speak to a property manager in person, tell them my needs, credit score proof, and recs from previous landlords, then ask which of their apartments would they suggest. They may have a stated rule about income but can tweak it if they want. They most likely won't waver on a pet policy unless you were renting an individual house. And honestly, if there was an apartment that fit my needs but had stairs I would not think twice about telling my daughter that she can survive walking up them on her days with you, guess there was a true physical reason she couldn't navigate them.

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Idalou said:

In a city of that size, I would expect there to be companies that owned multiple properties, at least that's the way it is around here. I would try to speak to a property manager in person, tell them my needs, credit score proof, and recs from previous landlords, then ask which of their apartments would they suggest. They may have a stated rule about income but can tweak it if they want. They most likely won't waver on a pet policy unless you were renting an individual house. And honestly, if there was an apartment that fit my needs but had stairs I would not think twice about telling my daughter that she can survive walking up them on her days with you, guess there was a true physical reason she couldn't navigate them.

She took forever to go up one set because of her fears. Stairs are not ideal to me with moving furniture and groceries but I’d do it. The unit with a shorter set of stairs includes a stackable washer/dryer so I wouldn’t have to move my set. I’d sell mine. 

I’m just so torn now, I’m scrambling to find something else. That drive will be awful wear & tear on my car. 

I got an email from the AL job saying they might reach out again. So who knows. That would be way closer and even though I’m nervous about the physical demands on event days I’d highly consider it now. 45 min to kids and pay is better than library. 

Just gonna do my best to figure out something soon. 

As far as property managers - well I did meet with 2 in person. The guy that owns the safer unit seems like a great landlord, expanded the parking lot when he bought the property and said he and his family live real close and will call the number if they see people parked there that should not be. I don’t think he owns more (that property houses 4 homes. 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs). 

The first property manager might own more but given my concern for safety I think she took me to her best one already… and it was so-so. One of those streets with horrible roads and no designated parking. But the same price as the nicer place. 

19 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Will it affect your unemployment if you are offered a job but turn it down? 
I think you’re probably going to wind up having to pick the least bad choice in everything for the time being—job, housing, all of it. And I know that sucks.

I’m going to talk to my case worker (or whatever they are called) Monday about the situation. But I do know you don’t lose unemployment if you turn down something for a legit reason. Like if I can’t find a safe property to rent in my budget that seems like a reasonable excuse. But I also might just take it if nothing else happens between then and now and I’d settle for the home with stairs dd hates if absolutely necessary? Well I’d drive by it at night first. And come to think of it the washer and dryer are on the back entrance in a room so I wouldn’t have to lug mine up there. 

I think I’d take the job if it were me and just stay put for a few weeks to see what else opens up apartment wise if you really don’t like anything that was available.  Definitely keep looking for a better fit, but I would really hesitate to turn down a job when it’s been such a slog to get one in the first place.  I’m pretty risk adverse though.  
Do you know how many weeks you have left on unemployment? The last I remember was it having a limit of 13 weeks, but I don’t know if that changed post Covid.    I think I would be surprised if not being able to find a rental was considered a good reason by unemployment, I would think they had a pretty narrow concept of a good reason.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I think I’d take the job if it were me and just stay put for a few weeks to see what else opens up apartment wise if you really don’t like anything that was available.  Definitely keep looking for a better fit, but I would really hesitate to turn down a job when it’s been such a slog to get one in the first place.  I’m pretty risk adverse though.  
Do you know how many weeks you have left on unemployment? The last I remember was it having a limit of 13 weeks, but I don’t know if that changed post Covid.    I think I would be surprised if not being able to find a rental was considered a good reason by unemployment, I would think they had a pretty narrow concept of a good reason.  

I agree. I know how much Heart wants to be in her own place for the holidays, but it would also be good, if possible, to stay in the rental room and try to save a bit, especially since she'll be buying the kids presents. Plus, some apartments want first, last month and a security deposit and that gets to be such a huge amount! 

• Like 3

I’m so torn. 😩

my current plan is to just stall and if nothing else comes through just move there but some places require a 12 month lease and I’m scared to commit unless I find something safe. 

One thing that might work in my favor is maybe other people won’t be eager to move in November? 

A lot of places have a $1200 deposit. I’d probably also have to pay utility connection fees etc. Some places have a pet deposit and/or pet rent. I outruled a gated apartment complex because they require the 3x rent thing. I could have maybe overlooked the pet rent because it has a fitness center. 

Man what a mess!! 

• Like 1

Just had a fight with my dad. I need to come up with a way to save money and pay my own expenses if possible because taking money from him has strings attached. I can’t get a loan. I can’t up my cc limit. I’m so screwed.

and no, staying in my room rental doesn’t allow me to save up because I get $800/mo and $650 goes to rent and $150 goes to child support. It would only help me save if I was working. 

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Can you accept the job and stay at the current place for just a bit?  I am thinking once you start work your co workers might have suggestions for reasonable places to rent in safe area. 

And drive 3 hrs round trip daily? The gas $$. And wear & tear. 

My friend that has a cottage can only help me for like a week and I would have to drive back to check on my cat and sure my current landlords will remind me she’s sad and making noises 🙄

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

And drive 3 hrs round trip daily? The gas $$. And wear & tear. 

My friend that has a cottage can only help me for like a week and I would have to drive back to check on my cat and sure my current landlords will remind me she’s sad and making noises 🙄

I know the cat is very special. I had cats growing up that I was incredibly close to. But it may be time to consider re-homing the cat. Do you have any friends or relatives that you would trust to take good care of her?

• Like 6

Ok I have a new temp plan. I’m desperate. I asked my gf if I can move in the guest room with my cat as previously discussed (the one that has a daughter that is friends with dd. The dog is a threat to cats but I’ll keep my cat in the room and have to be vigilant about opening doors). 

We’re discussing details now. I know it may be chaotic but it will allow me to save money. She lives by the interstate too so if I had to commute short-term it would shave off a little time. 

And I’ll ask my bank if an offer of employment would allow me to increase my cc limit. This month I didn’t have enough cc points to make a payment but I did make a payment using birthday money. The cc keeps going back up since my storage unit, cell phone bill & auto/renters’ ins are all tied to the card. 

• Like 3

Just now, freesia said:

I know you wanted a two bedroom. Are you looking at one bedrooms and studios? I know that’s sub obtimal but I really think you need to take this job. 

I was contemplating the one bedrooms tonight actually. The thing is will it trip me up from hosting my kids… in court xh tried to force all visits to take place at my dad’s. I don’t want to give up my power to host kids at my own home. Host isn’t the right word but you know what I mean. Legally each child needs a bedroom. So the plan was dd sleeps in my room & ds sleeps in the other over holiday visits and their summer visits. I don’t know if I’ll be denied having them over if I have a one bedroom. 🤔☹️

9 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I was contemplating the one bedrooms tonight actually. The thing is will it trip me up from hosting my kids… in court xh tried to force all visits to take place at my dad’s. I don’t want to give up my power to host kids at my own home. Host isn’t the right word but you know what I mean. Legally each child needs a bedroom. So the plan was dd sleeps in my room & ds sleeps in the other over holiday visits and their summer visits. I don’t know if I’ll be denied having them over if I have a one bedroom. 🤔☹️

Oh, that is too bad. 

• Like 2