Menu

Update: 1st post Things for a 12 y/o boy to do over the summer

Mrs Tiggywinkle

update: At the last minute, the school district received extra funding. They used it to create a summer program similar to a summer rec or day program for kids who need the socialization and routine but not necessarily academics—kids that may not qualify for ESY but can’t quite manage regular county run recreation programs.   He got a slot!!! And the school, considering the bullying issues he’s faced all year, was careful to put him in a group with a friend and the teacher/leader is a male teacher he’s had before that he’s close too and is a great role model.  This is such a burden off my Mama heart for this summer. 

I need to come up with things for my 12 year old to do this summer.  He prefers screens above all else.

He’s autistic and right now, has no local friends.  He has some cousins he enjoys but none of them live within driving distance. 
He used to enjoy riding his bike, but we moved rurally and the roads here are not safe to ride on, especially since he’s used to sidewalks.
he loves playing Dungeons and Dragons and Yu-Gi-Oh, but despite multiple attempts asking on FB sites I can’t find any teenage/pre-teen kids who play those games and he is not ready to play with a bunch of adult men. He has tried some Outschool groups on those subjects but doesn’t like the online format.
He’s also very interested in cryptids and Ancient mythology.

He does not like crafts or sports.  He already does chores.  His brother and sister are spending the summer at camp and a summer rec program, so unless we win the lottery for a summer program at his special needs school, he will be mostly alone all summer.  
Ideas? I am creating lists of things to be done before screen time is allowed during the summer, but I am coming up short for him.

so far I have:

Chores must be done
Listen to 30 minutes of an audiobook(he listens to hours while playing on screens though)
spend 30 minutes outside(he will swing and listen to music, but it rains so much here anymore that outdoor time isn’t a given)

Any other ideas? (And pray he gets into the summer program; that would be the best but they only have slots for 30% of kids this year and it usually goes to the highest need kids, which he isn’t.)

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Are there any other camps besides his school that would work for him?

Any sports or lessons that he could get involved in?

Are you home with him during the day?  Or could you hire a teen to hang with him and take him places?

Unfortunately no.  He has aged out of most day camps and his anxiety is too much for an overnight camp. There is a SN camp he has been to, but he didn’t like it and really does not want to go back. It’s only five days long anyway.

He hates sports. He tolerates PE but that’s all.  I am not sure there is much during the summer anyway.  Once you’re aged out of day camps/summer rec there is very little to do here.

He will probably be home alone or with his grandparents, who are great but will just let him be on screens all day.  DH and I are both working two jobs this summer.

• Sad 3

Any interest in learning to cook or bake or make candy or do some container gardening - maybe try out hydroponics or grow some herbs?  Get a mat and work on puzzles?  Drawing?  My older, a non-crafty kid, had to do some drawing for a fine arts credit.  Surprisingly, kid actually got into it and enjoyed it and has started doing a 'story of my life' with neat tiny scenes with stick figures - even though they've completed their required hours, they're still drawing.  Maybe some solo strategy games - things like solitaire with cards?  We've got a couple of games like IQ Fit and IQ Puzzler (travel-size versions that we found on Amazon) that each have 100+ puzzles to solve.  Learn to juggle or play a simple instrument like the recorder?  

I would be really uncomfortable for a kid this age to have unsupervised, unfettered internet access for hours on end.  So I would work on getting some secure parental controls on your internet if you don't have that set up.  

Honestly, I feel like these middle ages need some structure to their days and regular supervision.  I would dig around and find SOMETHING that would at least get him somewhere doing something for like 10-15 hours a week.  Like a swim club, hiking club, science camps, etc.  There aren't programs in your area for tweens/teens?  Like we have specialized day camp options for kids in that age, lots of options.  Either that, or I might pay a college student or grandparent to come play board games with him a couple hours a day or take him out somewhere on bike trails, hiking, museums, field trips, or something.  

I had a kid without a dx, but smart and quirky and I can't imagine any list of prioritized tasks I would have given him at that age would have gotten done with any regularlity unsuperverised with screens accessible even if his intentions were good.  I also have a nephew that got himself in some trouble over unsupervised summers in this age range.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 3

It's a shame how much stops at that age.

I know it seems crafty but what about painting miniatures for D&D?  If you get a book of scenes he could play out battles etc.  If he likes it then perhaps custom miniatures could be something he works towards earning.

I'll link to the scene book we have in a minute.

ETA: we have this book (but not from this site) https://www.atomicempire.com/Item/278473?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=pla_games&gclid=Cj0KCQjwheyUBhD-ARIsAHJNM-Mwwj6YX8RZC3yedlCxxTdc_cP9gUThEzjP_bM2OFHEkIrIdGWFtOEaAisWEALw_wcB

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, catz said:

I would be really uncomfortable for a kid this age to have unsupervised, unfettered internet access for hours on end.  So I would work on getting some secure parental controls on your internet if you don't have that set up.  

Honestly, I feel like these middle ages need some structure to their days and regular supervision.  I would dig around and find SOMETHING that would at least get him somewhere doing something for like 10-15 hours a week.  Like a swim club, hiking club, science camps, etc.  There aren't programs in your area for tweens/teens?  Like we have specialized day camp options for kids in that age, lots of options.  Either that, or I might pay a college student or grandparent to come play board games with him a couple hours a day or take him out somewhere on bike trails, hiking, museums, field trips, or something.  

I had a kid without a dx, but smart and quirky and I can't imagine any list of prioritized tasks I would have given him at that age would have gotten done with any regularlity unsuperverised with screens accessible even if his intentions were good.  I also have a nephew that got himself in some trouble over unsupervised summers in this age range.  

Nope.  There is nothing other than a county rec program after you’re 12.  There are weeklong summer camps for teens but sensory wise he will not be able to manage them. The other issue is that he has sensory processing disorder and that limits anything that is going to have a lot of noise.  If I could find a teen D and D group that met in a quiet, dark library, he’d adore that.  There just aren’t any. The county has a drop in program for ages 12-15 that I think would be very fun, but they are clear that they are not set up for teens/preteens with any special needs.  They also specificy that they are drop in and the young teens are welcome to leave if they wish.  His birthday is such that he could technically still slide into the summer rec program that his siblings are doing, but again it’s really just not appropriate for him.  Libraries are about perfect for him, but the teen programs start at 13 and are intermittent in the evening anyway.  

He can spend every day with his grandmother, but she will let him be on screens all day so even if he’s there, I need alternate activities. 

I had no idea that D and D miniatures were a thing.  He might really enjoy painting  and collecting those.  He will also sort his Yu-GI-Oh cards for hours,  I really really wish that we could find someone to play with him, but so far I haven’t.  

With D&D I find filling out character sheets frustrating so I always play the same character.  Some people love creating characters though.

If your ds likes creating characters that could be something to encourage.  It has a lot involved.  If writing is an issue maybe it could be a non screen thing for grandma to take dictation.

ETA: I'm kinda picturing a D&D themed summer

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

He can spend every day with his grandmother, but she will let him be on screens all day so even if he’s there, I need alternate activities. 

If he needs to be at grandmother's house, could you ask her to come up with like a list of thing she might need help with?  Cleaning, food prep, yard work, gardening, etc.  Could biking work from their house?  

The other thing, is if he likes tech, there are things like self paced programming classes he might enjoy?  That might allow him to have some screen time while learning some new stuff.  

ETA - oh, I also wonder if you could like come up like a list of documentaries on stuff he is interested in (like mythology) and get him to watch one a day and maybe you could discuss it briefly as you sit down for a meal or something?

Edited by catz
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, catz said:

If he needs to be at grandmother's house, could you ask her to come up with like a list of thing she might need help with?  Cleaning, food prep, yard work, gardening, etc.  Could biking work from their house?  

The other thing, is if he likes tech, there are things like self paced programming classes he might enjoy?  That might allow him to have some screen time while learning some new stuff.  

ETA - oh, I also wonder if you could like come up like a list of documentaries on stuff he is interested in (like mythology) and get him to watch one a day and maybe you could discuss it briefly as you sit down for a meal or something?

So when he’s on screens, he’s not really playing games as he doesn’t like them.  He watches History channel documentaries or YouTube on stuff that interests him, researches things using google(we have restrictions but it’s mostly history stuff and card games and cryptids), and creates Minecraft worlds(at the moment it’s all about the Odyssey and The Hobbit) based on his audiobooks.  He used to play Fortnite but lost interest. So he isn’t gaming for hours on end, I just want to come up with other things for him to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

So when he’s on screens, he’s not really playing games as he doesn’t like them.  He watches History channel documentaries or YouTube on stuff that interests him, researches things using google(we have restrictions but it’s mostly history stuff and card games and cryptids), and creates Minecraft worlds(at the moment it’s all about the Odyssey and The Hobbit) based on his audiobooks.  He used to play Fortnite but lost interest. So he isn’t gaming for hours on end, I just want to come up with other things for him to do.

It wouldn't be age appropriate gaming that concerns me at all.  I actually don't find moderate gaming super problematic.  My sensory quirky kid has always played some games.  Both my kids STILL like minecraft as a older teen and young adult. 

I do think kids going into adolescence are more likely to go off course with unfettered access to the internet.  More that he'd try connecting to randos online or finding inappropriate things to watch, etc.  But like I said, I would definitely have parental controls in place for a situation like this.  

I absolutely think it's ridiculous parents aren't offered a year round option for kids that qualify for small ratio educational situations that can't be mainstreamed into typical summer programming.  We really have a range of things available here for kids up to high school seniors.  I'm sorry.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, catz said:

It wouldn't be age appropriate gaming that concerns me at all.  I actually don't find moderate gaming super problematic.  My sensory quirky kid has always played some games.  Both my kids STILL like minecraft as a older teen and young adult. 

I do think kids going into adolescence are more likely to go off course with unfettered access to the internet.  More that he'd try connecting to randos online or finding inappropriate things to watch, etc.  But like I said, I would definitely have parental controls in place for a situation like this.  

I absolutely think it's ridiculous parents aren't offered a year round option for kids that qualify for small ratio educational situations that can't be mainstreamed into typical summer programming.  We really have a range of things available here for kids up to high school seniors.  I'm sorry.  

My BIL who’s in IT security set up our internet restrictions using google link.  I know I had to override it for DS to look at a Bigfoot website, so it filters pretty good.  

Im still crossing my fingers he gets into the school summer program, but usually it’s saved for kids with severe needs. His teacher has submitted paperwork demonstrating need, so maybe.  She said not to get my hopes up but I’m still daring to hope.

• Like 2

Programs at the public library, or even volunteering at the library 

Oops, I see you already said that the teen program starts at 13.

Are there any historical sites that he might like to visit? Maybe grandma would be willing to take him on a few outings.

Edited by City Mouse

27 minutes ago, saraha said:

Would he like a remote control car? Ds11 spent all afternoon yesterday building an obstacle course to drive his rc car through.

He would like a drone with a camera to fly around the area forest and search for cryptids lol.

Grandma needs a new hip that she’s putting off and driving exacerbates that, so I can’t really ask her to drive him places.

• Like 1

Would your son enjoy making scrapbooks (electronic, paper, or other format) for some of his interests? They wouldn't have to be crafty--they can be copy and paste pictures, lists, visual representations of how he categorizes things within his interests (mindmap with visuals), or even like he's making a professional portfolio for a job, except that it's about his expertise or conceptualization of a particular interest (or overlap in interests).

Would he enjoy making podcasts about his interests to share with his cousins? 

Music lessons?

Photography--either artsy or more documentarian? My ASD kiddo isn't interested in photography as art, but he likes to document things with pictures. 

Does he enjoy odd jobs? My son with ASD likes to work with his hands and do practical things. If he were not working and not coming up with jobs on his own, something I might ask him to do would be to document what major things we have in the house for insurance purposes. We're way behind on that, and we've re-organized/lightened our load enough that it's time to update. My ASD kiddo would enjoy that kind of practical task, but he's really sensitive to having control over his environment and intensely practical. 

I understand the difficulty of being to old and too functional for certain supports and yet still needing something. Been there many times. 

• Like 1

How independently functioning is he? Does he have the ability to self-govern? Because, honestly, my boys did not at 12. I'd be lucky if they remembered to switch loads of laundry, flip the dishwasher, and run the vacuum.

FWIW, I'd try to include something educational in the mix if possible besides listening to an audio book: 30 min on khan academy, or an assigned thread from Crash Course Videos or something. Mine have all needed some overflow structure into summer, and some retention work or preview of future material.

Beyond that, there are some great videos on DIY projects on youtube.  If you have the time to help facilitate getting materials, great....but if you don't.....I just wanted to say that working 2 jobs all summer long---both of you---do what you need to do. 80-100 days of screen time isn't a hill worth fighting over necessarily when you are in survival mode.

My boy had a blast raising chickens one summer. He did two "batches." We bought a couple chicks and raised them for about two months before they went to join a friend's egg-laying flock. We made a point of cuddling and handling the chicks daily so that they would be socialized to humans and easy to help with health or other needs.

• Like 2

The dearth of camp and activity options for autistic tweens is something I definitely understand.  At that age, my oldest couldn’t handle basically any drop off programs.  And the programs from neurodiverse kids specifically tend to cost an arm and a leg and a kidney.  

What interests him outside of games?  I would lean into whatever that was.  I would also try and get someone for at least part of the time who can drive him and go out and do stuff.  

Last year, we went ahead and had our younger son try two week long day camps and one overnight camp.  It worked out, but the camps were selected for *very high interest to him* and we spent a lot of time helping him practice skills he would need to make it work.  And we gave him a back up plan and then a backup to the backup.  He’s very into outdoorsy things- one camp was making a bow, one was horse camp and the overnight was a small group of middle school boys with two leaders on a canoe trip.  This summer he’s basically doing the same things (wilderness survival instead of archery/bow making) plus a volunteer trip with the middle school youth group at our parish.  He’s 13 this year.

Would he enjoy writing some fiction?

Field trips to any local places where cryptid sightings have been reported?

If you don't mind sharing, can you remind me what part of the country you are in? I only ask because DD13 likes D&D and Pokemon.

There are a couple books with great ideas for this age group: authors are Conn and Hal Iggulden. “The Dangerous book for boys” and “The Double Dangerous book for boys”.  Learning how padlocks worked was a big hit.

https://www.theanimcourse.com/session-landing-page    My ds completed all the courses and really liked it. It is online and the students are active in talking with each other. It starts tomorrow? So for the summer you’d have to decide fast. Besides computer work they also learn storyboarding as well as animation history etc. I can’t say enough positives about this program, it’s excellent.

My parenting view is that dirt washes off, buy thrift store clothes that can be destroyed, and as long as no bones are protruding and no vital structures burned down all is good.

With that said, would you be able to find an older teen or college student to act as a mentor and engage and guide him in (mostly) harmless shenanigans a few hours a week? One example, since he used to like riding his bike but no sidewalks currently, they could design and build a sail for his bike and test it out. Or if person is driving age and you are comfortable maybe they could go to beginer mountain bike trails to ride. Most beginner trails are not very steep, usually just dirt paths in the woods, and basic mountain bikes are cheap if his bike cannot handle even basic trails.

The difficulty may be finding someone who doesn't view it as glorified babysitting and is really able to see it as more of a mentor type thing to engage him in a way to help him go from idea to finished project. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 5:28 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

How independently functioning is he? Does he have the ability to self-govern? Because, honestly, my boys did not at 12. I'd be lucky if they remembered to switch loads of laundry, flip the dishwasher, and run the vacuum.

FWIW, I'd try to include something educational in the mix if possible besides listening to an audio book: 30 min on khan academy, or an assigned thread from Crash Course Videos or something. Mine have all needed some overflow structure into summer, and some retention work or preview of future material.

Beyond that, there are some great videos on DIY projects on youtube.  If you have the time to help facilitate getting materials, great....but if you don't.....I just wanted to say that working 2 jobs all summer long---both of you---do what you need to do. 80-100 days of screen time isn't a hill worth fighting over necessarily when you are in survival mode.

He’s honestly independently functioning enough that if I dropped off the earth for two weeks he wouldn’t notice.  😂. He wouldn’t ever take a shower, but he’d put himself to sleep at 9pm, wash his clothes when he needed some, take care of the dogs, order grocery delivery and live off sandwiches, cereal and pizza bagel bites.  If I leave a checklist, it will be done.  Even if it’s stuff like “paint some D and D miniatures.”

He still has three more weeks before school is out(we end late in New York) so  I have some time to keep working on things.  I’ve been advertising for someone since April, but not really any interest.  I can’t compete with the marina and factory wages that scoop up the young men over summer break. We just did an intake with an integrated services program that is going to do a few referrals, but I’m not getting my hopes up. DS falls into this space where he’s high IQ and has great grades, so doesn’t qualify for summer programs based on academic need; too high of an income to qualify for SN programs based on financial need; and is functional enough that he doesn’t meet functional need, but yet the regular teen summer programs I’ve found would not be a good fit and he’d probably be asked to leave.

It’s a very frustrating place to be. His teacher is playing up the social needs angle for a summer school slot; he needs his routine, structure and continued access to peers and daily therapies.  It’s usually reserved for kids with significant academic or developmental delays, and his grade average last quarter was overall 96%.  But his teacher is hopeful she’ll get him a slot.

i took a second job because I can get insurance through there even at part time that is better than our insurance now and will pay for youngest son’s OT, PT and speech therapies that we are doing privately.  It’s not worlds best place to work though and I don’t want to go full time there, but I can get benefits working 48 hours a month.

• Like 2

I’ve always heard the criteria for ESY is regression, and the mandate for ESY is to prevent regression (aka the goal is not progress, it’s to prevent regression).

I was told that in Kansas and New York.  

Has he had a rough transition back after Winter Break or Spring Break?  Or does he have a hard time at the beginning of the year after summer break?  Does he have social skills on his IEP that he has to recover some after breaks?  

If the answer is yes — I would start sending some emails saying you’re concerned about regression because of “the thing that happened” and not sit back and leave it to the teacher.

If it’s a tough case to make then I would consider leaving it to the teacher.  But I would more likely say it doesn’t hurt and try to contact whoever it is who determines the slots, and mention concern that they are not offering ESY to all kids who qualify and there’s a teacher saying they only have enough slots for a limited number of kids — because that is messed up.  There’s a big difference between saying about 30% of kids usually qualify, and that they have slots for 30% of kids.  I think that’s messed up and I would write a polite letter.  You never know, your teacher might love it if a parent would express concern about this.  

I haven’t read pps to know if this has already come up.  

• Like 1

https://www.wrightslaw.com/info/esy.index.htm

This is probably better.

I just skimmed but I think I would request an IEP meeting and let someone besides the teacher come tell you to your face why he doesn’t meet criteria and write down everything they say.  And then next year document more and be prepared for next summer.  Or hopefully get it this summer!  It’s worth a shot and probably not too big of a deal.  

It’s really not too big of a deal to put something in writing or request a meeting.  It’s something people do.  

• Like 1

I would also say — here is what his schedule is going to be, because of reality.  He will not have structured activities or even interaction through the day.  I think that is worth them being aware of.  Again — beyond the teacher.  

Just my thoughts.  To me this is pretty low-key parent stuff, not difficult parent stuff, especially if everything is polite.  

Would something like https://diy.org/ work for him?

My kids and all of their friends were very into diy.org. It’s been a while (years), so I no longer know the costs but it was worth every penny here. They can earn badges for things they already enjoy doing, but also choose new skills to learn. So many options! There are classes and workshops — some free, some extra. The moderators are great, and give feedback. My DS used to get excellent feedback on his art and photography from moderators, and it made him so happy. The kids can interact a bit with admiring each other’s work, too. And if your son is the type to prefer tangible badges, you can order actual patches as he earns badges. 

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lecka said:

I would also say — here is what his schedule is going to be, because of reality.  He will not have structured activities or even interaction through the day.  I think that is worth them being aware of.  Again — beyond the teacher.  

Just my thoughts.  To me this is pretty low-key parent stuff, not difficult parent stuff, especially if everything is polite.  

He has never regressed over breaks, either academically or socially.  Other years they’ve been able to offer summer programs beyond ESY but funding was cut this year.

The lack of regression is why they think ESY is a hard sell, but both his teacher and social worker are working on it. They’ve requested a variance at this point because he really doesn’t qualify according to his data.  The issue, I think, is that he usually comes back from breaks socially the same and academically ahead according to the data.  So if it’s between him and a similar child with documented regression over breaks, my kid isn’t going to get it. He has had exactly one documented behavior issue all year and it wasn’t after a break, and academically he’s high 90s average, so the data argues no need.  It’s just an area wide(probably a nation wide) lack of community resources for kids on the spectrum who don’t qualify for ARC type activity or ESY, but will be completely overwhelmed by typical tween summer group activities.

He can go to his grandma’s or even to contracting sites with his dad, but in either situation he’s still just going to be on screens unless I can come up with something else he is interested in.  He can’t help his dad on the job sites, even though DH owns the contracting company, due to the restrictions of the liability insurance.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Would something like https://diy.org/ work for him?

My kids and all of their friends were very into diy.org. It’s been a while (years), so I no longer know the costs but it was worth every penny here. They can earn badges for things they already enjoy doing, but also choose new skills to learn. So many options! There are classes and workshops — some free, some extra. The moderators are great, and give feedback. My DS used to get excellent feedback on his art and photography from moderators, and it made him so happy. The kids can interact a bit with admiring each other’s work, too. And if your son is the type to prefer tangible badges, you can order actual patches as he earns badges. 

This looks perfect!! I will show him tonight.  He loves the tangible type of badge collecting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

This looks perfect!! I will show him tonight.  He loves the tangible type of badge collecting.

I hope he likes it! Our kids loved it for years, and still look back fondly at the projects they did. I think it was great encouragement for them to expand their interests, and try new projects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I'd also be concerned, but I appreciate that you have limited options. I wonder if you can remotely cut the internet for a set period each day.

We can and do.  A lot of his screen usage doesn’t really need the internet though.  He has downloaded movies and TV shows, and most of the games he plays don’t require internet.  Minecraft isn’t on a server.  So we can cut it, but all it will stop is his google research on cryptids lol.

• Like 2

• Mrs Tiggywinkle changed the title to Update: 1st post Things for a 12 y/o boy to do over the summer
On 6/4/2022 at 10:11 AM, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

update: At the last minute, the school district received extra funding. They used it to create a summer program similar to a summer rec or day program for kids who need the socialization and routine but not necessarily academics—kids that may not qualify for ESY but can’t quite manage regular county run recreation programs.   He got a slot!!! And the school, considering the bullying issues he’s faced all year, was careful to put him in a group with a friend and the teacher/leader is a male teacher he’s had before that he’s close too and is a great role model.  This is such a burden off my Mama heart for this summer. 

What an awesome update! My DS (autism, low functioning) has a summer program. It is shorter days with lots of days and weeks off entirely, but it is still a lifesaver. So I understand what a gift a structured program is. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 10:11 AM, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Yay! That is so awesome!!!!

• Like 1

They’re doing swimming, hiking, fishing and other outdoor activities along with some minimal schoolwork.  He starts tomorrow and is so excited.  Apparently this teacher is also a Dungeon Master and emailed his summer class, including DS12, that they’d be playing Dungeons and Dragons as a “summer camp elective” this summer.  The school is trying hard to make this like a summer day camp for kids who just can’t manage camp, and I am so appreciative of them doing that.  So many SN summer programs are either babysitting or academic focused, so this warms my heart. DS needs the routine/structure but he also really needs to feel like a regular kid, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2