Menu

Inclusive Book Lists

Hello,

I’ll be starting the WTM curriculum next fall starting at 1st grade. I’ve been looking at the list of books that have been suggested for Literature & History; and it is very Euro-centric with few women. Has this been anyone else’s thought, and if so, is there a more “Feminist” list that someone has thoughtfully put together? 

• Like 2

The WTM is written to be based on Western Civilisation, (after all, there isn't time enough in life to study everything, as much as we might like to) but probably everyone supplements with other things. I had my daughter watch 'Mahabarat' on Youtube, for one thing. For another, I'm Australian, so I include Australian literature that isn't relevant to the rest of the world. I'm also running my daughter through a history of feminism and Indigenous Australian philosophy.

This isn't the best subforum to have your question answered, so I'll move it to the General Ed board. I've no doubt you will be provided with lists of suggestions long enough to make your eyes spin. 🙂

A Mighty Girl website lists many titles, from picture books through chapter books, through teen books, all about women. You can search by various categories, including by history. That would yield ideas of books you could add to your various history studies.

For literature by and/or about women, you can search through numerous categories, including: classics, multi-culturalaction/adventurerealistic fiction, fantasy/sci-fi, etc.

• Like 2

I also highly recommend following @amightygirl on Facebook. They post female-empowering and other fabulous book lists every day.  

Build Your Library also has excellent suggestions that are aligned to subjects and grade levels. We’ve found some excellent recommendations there. 

Does anyone have suggestion for publishers or others with a special focus on translated kids books?

I feel what is often called Western or European is really Anglo-Saxon. I also feel that translated books tend to be of higher literary value, because they require a bigger investment.

In addition to Build Your Library having excellent book suggestions in the curriculum, they’ve also curated this site:

History Book By Book

You can find diverse selections of read alouds, readers, and picture books for different time periods.

I also found the “History Hops” in History Quest to include a wider array of points of view. There are plenty of fascinating stories of women and people of color who have shaped the world’s history, including the history of western civilization.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 4:26 PM, Balletbaker said:

In addition to Build Your Library having excellent book suggestions in the curriculum, they’ve also curated this site:

History Book By Book

You can find diverse selections of read alouds, readers, and picture books for different time periods.

I also found the “History Hops” in History Quest to include a wider array of points of view. There are plenty of fascinating stories of women and people of color who have shaped the world’s history, including the history of western civilization.

This is exactly the kind of resource I have been hoping to find.  Thank you!

It's Eurocentric because, like it or not, our culture is derived from the cultures of Europe.

There are few women because, like it or not, for the vast majority of the human endeavor, women were too busy doing the work of life to make history.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EKS said:

It's Eurocentric because, like it or not, our culture is derived from the cultures of Europe.

There are few women because, like it or not, for the vast majority of the human endeavor, women were too busy doing the work of life to make history.

The work of life *IS* history.