Menu

Shooting at a Texas elementary school

Terabith

5 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Do we know the delay is because none of them wanted to risk getting shot?  Why do we jump to that reason?

I know cowards exist.  But the timeline alone does not give such insights. 

It also doesn’t make sense to me that the whole bunch of them were like that? One or two maybe but all of them? I feel like there’s more that’s not said or come to light yet- it makes no sense.

• Like 1

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

But even if they knew the kids had been shot, they couldn't know they were dead. Some could be bleeding out. No way to know without getting in there. So no, that doesn't explain anything. 

Four little boys survived by hiding under a table that was covered with a tablecloth. One of them told the others not to make a sound no matter what. He says that at one point they heard the cops yell to ask if anyone needed help and a little girl yelled "help!" — and was immediately shot by the gunman. If cops asking the kids who were still in the room with the gunman if they needed help was their way of figuring out if anyone was still alive, the level of utter stupidity and incompetence there is truly unfathomable.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 11

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It also doesn’t make sense to me that the whole bunch of them were like that? One or two maybe but all of them? I feel like there’s more that’s not said or come to light yet- it makes no sense.

I saw it suggested in an interview on TV that probably most of those 19 were frustrated that their commanding officer had ordered them to stand down. But that guy was speculating because he couldn’t believe that most would have wanted not to act.  And that the BP guys who eventually went in were not following orders. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Corraleno said:

Four little boys survived by hiding under a table that was covered with a tablecloth. One of them told the others not to make a sound no matter what. He says that at one point they heard the cops yell to ask if anyone needed help and a little girl yelled "help!" — and was immediately shot by the gunman. If cops asking the kids who were still in the room with the gunman if they needed help was their way of figuring out if anyone was still alive, the level of utter stupidity and incompetence there is truly unfathomable.

Yeah, it's beyond comprehension, at this point.   I'm not sure there's any answer that would explain that.    It's like the twilight zone right now.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I saw it suggested in an interview on TV that probably most of those 19 were frustrated that their commanding officer had ordered them to stand down. But that guy was speculating because he couldn’t believe that most would have wanted not to act.  And that the BP guys who eventually went in were not following orders. 

That makes sense. It makes more sense to me that one person made a bad decision either through misunderstanding or cowardice and the others were acting under orders than that not one of 19 adults had the courage to get in there and try to get those kids out. 

What does research say about bystander effect when dealing with emergency services personnel? Most of the ones I know are very quick to act in a situation 

• Like 1

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

That makes sense. It makes more sense to me that one person made a bad decision either through misunderstanding or cowardice and the others were acting under orders than that not one of 19 adults had the courage to get in there and try to get those kids out. 

What does research say about bystander effect when dealing with emergency services personnel? Most of the ones I know are very quick to act in a situation 

I told dh I would expect the next things we hear to be suicides from some of those officers who failed to act. I don’t know how some of them will live with this. This is just such a disaster. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 5

15 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Stand down....  in a setting where the potential victims are teachers and small children.  😞  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, teachermom2834 said:

I told dh I would expect the next things we hear to be suicides from some of those officers who failed to act. I don’t know how some of them will live with this. This is just such a disaster. 

Those 19 were probably first into the classrooms once the perp was dead and the first to see the children. Yep, that is going to be very hard to live with.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

I’m not excusing the cops.  But it’s starting more and more often to sound like being a cop or an EMT or a teacher is a suicide by thankless society job.

The same rational for why an under trained cop should have a gun and run pellmell into bullets is the same rational for why a teacher should have a gun in class and be willing to not just take a bullet for a kid but also shoot some teenager.  And none of them will get the medical benefits to cope with this daily life expectation or the inevitable failures they will face.  If the violence doesn’t get to them, the mental damage from the job will.  The rational seems to be because “it’s the job.”

If it is. Then it is.

But the hazard of that is people who want to live an emotionally stable life are going to leave in droves.

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

But many people have said teachers are also supposed to protect the children.

I don’t disagree that they are supposed to protect.  But I don’t think that looks as seen on tv either.

The job of a teacher and that of a police officer are entirely, completely different (and SWAT team was there, so even more so). I'm certain you know that, and I don't know how they would ever be lumped together. Police officers are supposed to protect people from crime while teachers are supposed to teach children. Dealing with crime is not part of a teacher's job description. Part of being a teacher is taking care of those kids, like tying shoes or sending them to the nurse when sick, but that isn't supposed to mean taking bullets for them while a violent maniac shoots them with a high powered weapon. There is no part of that that is in the normal job description of teacher. It's insanity that they would ever need to do that. Is that part of being a teacher in any other country?

1 minute ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have had the same thought today, though that would just add tragedy to tragedy. I hope they will have help to deal with what they have been a part of because it's unimaginable to have that to bear.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I found this video clip of kids protesting across from the NRA convention today to be particularly heartbreaking. I have mixed feelings about them even being there, but I know this is a reality for these kids and I guess there is no way to shield them from it at this point. Tragic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

We would all need to stand there. I really believe people need to start standing up.

I know it's normally a big no to talk politics but I think it's time to always say your opinion and not to be quiet. To start protesting and show loudly how tired we are of horrible news like that.

It just makes me so extremely angry.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yes this.

A chunk of their training was likely about following orders and protocol because in 99pc of situations acting solo is a really bad idea and causes more harm/damage. Those in command have more information so make the decisions: likely some of the guys outside would have wanted to go in but waited under the understanding that disobeying orders would result in more death and now they’re all over the media as cowards and incompetent. 

I don’t know for sure that that’s what happened. Maybe they really all were but it doesn’t seem likely. 

It seems like blaming the police might be a convenient redirection from the firearms thing for some politicians?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Honestly, I think a big part of the problem was that there were too many police officers, and too many different departments.  In an emergency, your chances of someone intervening are WAY higher if there is one person there than if there is a crowd.  The sheer number of police officers diffused responsibility.  

When I was required to take CPR classes, they would always tell us that in an emergency, especially if there was a crowd gathered, you were supposed to make direct eye contact with someone, point at them

and say loudly, "You. You call 911." Because often people in a group assume someone else took action.

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

In additon to this, a little girl smeared herself with blood from her friend's body, played dead and survived to tell the tale.

More tragically, a paramedic responding went to that girl who was rushing out and asked her if she needed help since she was bleeding and the girl told him that the blood was from her friend and the friend's name she mentioned was that paramedic's step daughter. I read this last night somewhere, it should be googlable. I am beyond upset by what the police officers did in that town. Looks like they were busy saving their own behinds in a crisis. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Lillyfee said:

I know it's normally a big no to talk politics but I think it's time to always say your opinion and not to be quiet. To start protesting and show loudly how tired we are of horrible news like that.

I don't think it's even political to say that we need to do something to stop kids from being killed in schools and that civilians, and especially 18 year old ones, have no reason or excuse for ever having high capacity semi-automatic weapons like AR-15s. It's helpful to politicians to hijack that idea for their purposes, but if the politicians didn't try to control the discourse in order to stay in power, I think the majority of Americans would agree on common sense changes to current regulations.

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It seems like blaming the police might be a convenient redirection from the firearms thing for some politicians?

I've been thinking this a lot today. There's a whole lot to be stunned and devastated about in learning about the total incompetence of the police response, and the fact that they might have been able to save lives, but I expect gun enthusiasts are very happy that that is where the focus is today, rather than on the root cause of this, which is a highly lethal weapon in the hands of someone with no business having it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KSera said:

I've been thinking this a lot today. There's a whole lot to be stunned and devastated about in learning about the total incompetence of the police response, and the fact that they might have been able to save lives, but I expect gun enthusiasts are very happy that that is where the focus is today, rather than on the root cause of this, which is a highly lethal weapon in the hands of someone with no business having it.

I see a lot of comments to effect that if a police officers didn't want to stand up against a shooter with an AR-15, the shooter shouldn't have had access to that gun.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

More tragically, a paramedic responding went to that girl who was rushing out and asked her if she needed help since she was bleeding and the girl told him that the blood was from her friend and the friend's name she mentioned was that paramedic's step daughter. I read this last night somewhere, it should be googlable. I am beyond upset by what the police officers did in that town. Looks like they were busy saving their own behinds in a crisis. 

https://www.revolt.tv/article/2022-05-26/171019/texas-paramedic-learns-daughter-was-victim-in-school-attack/

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I also have thought this. 

15 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yes this.

: likely some of the guys outside would have wanted to go in but waited under the understanding that disobeying orders would result in more death and now they’re all over the media as cowards and incompetent. 

Right. It makes sense for those outside to hold the perimeter knowing that there were nearly 20 officers already in the building. I'm sure the ones outside assumed the 19 officers inside were dealing with the situation. I doubt they realized the ones inside were just standing there, doing nothing. 

So the Uvalde PD is calling in reinforcements from other areas — to protect THEM and the mayor from angry parents. Unbelievable.

"The May 27 press conference came as several different law enforcement entities from across the state were called in by Uvalde police to not only assist in supplementing their police force, but to also provide extra protection to police and the mayor following heavy criticism and threats linked to their hour-long response time to the Robb Elementary School shooting, according to officials with the Texas Police Chiefs Association."

https://www.cbsnews.com/dfw/news/live-texas-dps-sharing-update-on-uvalde-school-shooting-investigation/

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, KSera said:

I found this video clip of kids protesting across from the NRA convention today to be particularly heartbreaking. I have mixed feelings about them even being there, but I know this is a reality for these kids and I guess there is no way to shield them from it at this point. Tragic.

The adults have utterly failed them in every possible way. They have to take matters into their own hands. That is where we are at. A failed state, children trying to figure out how to move forward from the ashes.

The children have more sense the adults. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

13 minutes ago, KSera said:

This is what I am worried about. I have heard/read people quip that it’s a prime example of why people need their own guns. “When seconds matter, cops are minutes away.”

1 minute ago, Corraleno said:

So the Uvalde PD is calling in reinforcements from other areas — to protect THEM and the mayor from angry parents. Unbelievable.

"The May 27 press conference came as several different law enforcement entities from across the state were called in by Uvalde police to not only assist in supplementing their police force, but to also provide extra protection to police and the mayor following heavy criticism and threats linked to their hour-long response time to the Robb Elementary School shooting, according to officials with the Texas Police Chiefs Association."

https://www.cbsnews.com/dfw/news/live-texas-dps-sharing-update-on-uvalde-school-shooting-investigation/

Why would this be outrageous?

Honestly every LEO or BP that had anything to do with this, regardless of how well they did or didn’t do their jobs, should be sent home and only be around for debriefing and counseling.

A town full of angry people full of raw devastation has been given a local target for all that anger.  I completely agree outside LEO needs to be brought in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

This is what I am worried about. I have heard/read people quip that it’s a prime example of why people need their own guns. “When seconds matter, cops are minutes away.”

Honestly every LEO or BP that had anything to do with this, regardless of how well they did or didn’t do their jobs, should be sent home and only be around for debriefing and counseling.

A town full of angry people full of raw devastation has been given a local target for all that anger.  I completely agree outside LEO needs to be brought in.

I don't think it should be other police departments. FBI, Federal Marshalls, National Guard, someone who doesn't have a vested interest in cya for this situation, and is more objective at this time. Other p.d. is not the answer. People don't even feel safe around them anymore.

• Like 7

Someone said the shooter went in through a door that a teacher had propped open. Kind of makes me wonder about covid ventilation etc? A lot of classes have inadequate ventilation here without opening a door or windows. Unless the windows have security screen on them? Are teachers having to make decisions between covid safety and classroom/school security?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

What's outrageous is that the police who denied protection to a classroom full of dying children and teachers, because they "didn't want to get shot," are demanding extra protection for themselves from parents of the children who bled to death while they stood around..

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

14 out of 19 of the kids killed are girls.  Were the classrooms just very girl heavy, or did the gunman target girls deliberately, I wonder?  Or maybe the boys were better at hiding?

I know there are 4 or 5 boys who survived because they hid under a table that was covered with a cloth.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Someone said the shooter went in through a door that a teacher had propped open. Kind of makes me wonder about covid ventilation etc? A lot of classes have inadequate ventilation here without opening a door or windows. Unless the windows have security screen on them? Are teachers having to make decisions between covid safety and classroom/school security?

There was an empty classroom with an open door through which the shooter entered and got into an adjoining room through a connecting door. Apparently that school district has a policy of keeping doors closed when class is in session.

1 minute ago, mathnerd said:

There was an empty classroom with an open door through which the shooter entered and got into an adjoining room through a connecting door. Apparently that school district has a policy of keeping doors closed when class is in session.

In one of the timeline of events, it said that a teacher propped an exterior door shortly before he crashed.  That has also kind of confused me, and I've wondered what the reasoning was for that.  I know there was an awards ceremony earlier, so maybe it was related to that?

7 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

What's outrageous is that the police who denied protection to a classroom full of dying children and teachers, because they "didn't want to get shot," are demanding extra protection for themselves from parents of the children who bled to death while they stood around..

Ya. I don't have any sympathy. I don't think the answer is more Wild Wild West on top of Wild Wild West and am not supportive of that. But, on the other hand, they made their bed....chickens come home to roost and all that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Terabith said:

14 out of 19 of the kids killed are girls.  Were the classrooms just very girl heavy, or did the gunman target girls deliberately, I wonder?  Or maybe the boys were better at hiding?

I've also been wondering this and came to a similar conclusion as Correlano that maybe it was just because they clustered by gender in their efforts to hide (which totally seems like it's something kids that age would do - jump together with their friends) and the girls were the clusters who got unlucky.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

It reeks of double standards, which is why this has been brought up in the media. If a parent in tears trying to confront a shooter, unarmed, due to police inaction can be handcuffed or tasered, and those are the standards of policing in that city, are we now saying that this is unacceptable when the victim profile changes to people in power? These policemen were called Heroes yesterday by the governor.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

In one of the timeline of events, it said that a teacher propped an exterior door shortly before he crashed.  That has also kind of confused me, and I've wondered what the reasoning was for that.  I know there was an awards ceremony earlier, so maybe it was related to that?

It sounded to me like the door may have been propped open because the teacher was doing something outside? One of the timelines I read said that the SRO was driving nearby and returned to the school immediately when he was notified about a gunman, and he drove to the back of the school parking lot, but missed seeing the gunman who was hiding behind a car. Then he confronted the teacher mistakenly thinking that was the shooter, and by the time that was sorted out, the gunman had gotten into the building. 

If that story is true it would explain all the garbled stories about the SRO being there/not being there, confronting the shooter/not confronting the shooter, etc.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

It reeks of double standards, which is why this has been brought up in the media. If a parent in tears trying to confront a shooter, unarmed, due to police inaction can be handcuffed or tasered, and those are the standards of policing in that city, are we now saying that this is unacceptable when the victim profile changes to people in power? These policemen were called Heroes yesterday by the governor.

Yes, this. I don't actually think that the parents should go vent their grief on law enforcement violently any more than I think the shooter should have committed violence on the school. Or any more than I think any of those officers should commit suicide (which I know people weren't suggesting they DO, just that they might consider it in light of everything). But that they should get it together to protect the LEO's when they couldn't protect the kids... it just makes everyone ache.

I hope they're bringing in good mental health support for everyone. Even the LEO's, who I'm incredibly angry with.

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Terabith said:

My daughter has been in a public school classroom with 20 boys and 8 girls at that age -- so it is possible at least.  

Also regarding the 19 officers outside the door -- I think one of the points above about following orders got somehow applied by some in this thread to only to those officers outside the school -- but those 19 officers could also have been following orders (rather than too afraid to enter).   And this would also explain the people who did enter -- since they were not in that 'command chain'.     

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I don't think it should be other police departments. FBI, Federal Marshalls, National Guard, someone who doesn't have a vested interest in cya for this situation, and is more objective at this time. Other p.d. is not the answer. People don't even feel safe around them anymore.

Okay. That’s be fine by me too. 

52 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Again. The timeline does not tell us anything about intention. And there’s a lot of garbled stuff everywhere right now. I don’t know enough facts yet to make an ethical statement about the cops.

The only fact I have that’s undeniably clear at this moment is that 18 yr old should not have had those guns and ammo. And no matter who all did it didn’t do what after the fact, all the shooting deaths are the fault of the shooter. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

In additon to this, a little girl smeared herself with blood from her friend's body, played dead and survived to tell the tale.

warning: don't read it if you are trying to avoid the agonizing details

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/27/us/robb-shooting-survivor-miah-cerrillo/index.html

• Sad 3

From comments I have read here, it seems like some are blaming the lack of response on the town of Uvalde police department. 

An article I just read (I wish I had saved the link) said that the commander in scene was the chief of the Uvalde School District police department, and he was the one who would not let the other officers do anything. It is not unusual in Texas for school districts in Texas to have their own police departments completely separate from the local town or county agencies. 
Not that that changes the lack of response, but I just wanted to clarify that point of who was responsible for the lack of response.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

warning: don't read it if you are trying to avoid the agonizing details

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/27/us/robb-shooting-survivor-miah-cerrillo/index.html

I didn’t read it but I have a tangentially related question:

WTH?!  Why are people who aren’t mental healthcare workers interviewing these children immediately after their trauma?  It’s not that I think they should be silenced it’s that I can’t imagine press conferences do anything but add to their trauma?  If they were my children I’d circle my wagons around my house and my kid like ft Knox.  

Idk. Anyone else find this icky?  Months from now after they have have counseling and such?  *maybe*

I’m always horrified that anyone would want to be on tv/media or put their kids through that.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

WTH?!  Why are people who aren’t mental healthcare workers interviewing these children immediately after their trauma?  It’s not that I think they should be silenced it’s that I can’t imagine press conferences do anything but add to their trauma?  If they were my children I’d circle my wagons around my house and my kid like ft Knox.  

Idk. Anyone else find this icky?  Months from now after they have have counseling and such?  *maybe*

I’m always horrified that anyone would want to be on tv/media or put their kids through that.

I had the same response when I saw this morning that she had been interviewed by the media. I guess some people process better by talking about things, but surely it will be better to do that with a professional and not a TV reporter. I did see that the parents had put up a go fund me that was linked in order to help cover her therapy bills, which I imagine will be important. It’s hard enough to find run of the mill mental health care for kids. How on earth does a parent find someone with the experience and qualifications to help their child through this kind of trauma?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

I had the same response when I saw this morning that she had been interviewed by the media. I guess some people process better by talking about things, but surely it will be better to do that with a professional and not a TV reporter. I did see that the parents had put up a go fund me that was linked in order to help cover her therapy bills, which I imagine will be important. It’s hard enough to find run of the mill mental health care for kids. How on earth does a parent find someone with the experience and qualifications to help their child through this kind of trauma?

I just read the horrible article. I regret it not because of what she said (which is awful) but because I wish I hadn’t ever clicked on it and given them more views.  The description of the poor child during the interview sounds like any minute she’s going to go into shock.  But hey the car needs cleaned and we have an interview to do so oh well.

Just. No. That interview was unethical to the child imnsho.  I wonder if they paid her mother to get the interview at the price of further trauma to the child.  I feel nasty for clicking that link.

As for how do they find mental health care?  There’s not much for anyone in that town. But I think the state should pay for it 100%. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Okay. That’s be fine by me too. 

Again. The timeline does not tell us anything about intention. And there’s a lot of garbled stuff everywhere right now. I don’t know enough facts yet to make an ethical statement about the cops.

The only fact I have that’s undeniably clear at this moment is that 18 yr old should not have had those guns and ammo. And no matter who all did it didn’t do what after the fact, all the shooting deaths are the fault of the shooter. 

The press conference with a person from the Department of Public Safety quotes him as directly saying the bit about retreating and not going in  because they could get shot. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I just read the horrible article. I regret it not because of what she said (which is awful) but because I wish I hadn’t ever clicked on it and given them more views.  The description of the poor child during the interview sounds like any minute she’s going to go into shock.  But hey the car needs cleaned and we have an interview to do so oh well.

Just. No. That interview was unethical to the child imnsho.  I wonder if they paid her mother to get the interview at the price of further trauma to the child.  I feel nasty for clicking that link.

As for how do they find mental health care?  There’s not much for anyone in that town. But I think the state should pay for it 100%. 

Wow what a nasty thing to accuse this mother of.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Looking at the timeline of things, I am struck by the fact that a teacher who had only worked there a month propped the door open right before he crashed.  I hope and pray it was a coincidence and an oversight, but the thought crossed my mind to wonder if it was part of the attack. 

Probably not, right?  Just a horrific coincidence?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I got the feeling from the interview with the paramedic that some people feel that laying out exactly what they’re going through may help make change. I think if I thought my kid interviewing in that situation could help prevent anyone else go through it I might allow it.

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

The press conference with a person from the Department of Public Safety quotes him as directly saying the bit about retreating and not going in  because they could get shot. 

That doesn’t mean they were cowards.  It’s a legit tactical issue to avoid getting shot if at all possible. 

20 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Wow what a nasty thing to accuse this mother of.

Actually it’s a nasty thing to accuse the reporter of.

If presumably the mother is in dire need of funds, it speaks more poorly of the reporter for taking advantage of her.

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I got the feeling from the interview with the paramedic that some people feel that laying out exactly what they’re going through may help make change. I think if I thought my kid interviewing in that situation could help prevent anyone else go through it I might allow it.

Possibly.  I doubt I would bc I generally really hate spot lights but who knows I suppose. And adults doing it doesn’t make sense to me given my personality but adults pulling traumatized kids into interviews squigs me.

The kids in front of the NRA conference didn’t bother me at all though. I thought that was well done and good. 

• Sad 1