Menu

S/O Monkeypox news & polio news

Arcadia

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I was reading and wondering how they tested this kid when they said the child was asymptomatic.  But then later in the article it said the child was asymptomatic apart from a rash.  

Looking at other articles, it said his parents tested negative, but I wonder if the testing would pick up if they had a recent but recovered infection. The incubation period can be long, so it seems plausible he could have caught it from a parent who has since recovered. 

• Like 2

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/toddler-tests-positive-monkeypox-despite-27808160

Sorry, I know this isn’t the most reputable of sources but this case has me a bit concerned until they figure out the transmission route. I really hope fomites don’t turn out to be a thing. 

Probably parents. Third case in US of a child in New York. The case in the Mirror news was quoted from ABC13 and about a toddler in Harris County, Texas. That might be the non US resident case since the other case is in California.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/08/21/health/monkeypox-under-18-new-york-state/index.html (August 21, 2022)

“A minor in New York state has reportedly contracted monkeypox -- a first among children in the state and at least the third reported case of the disease among children in the US.

The child lives in New York but not in New York City, according to state health department data released last week. The data does not list the child's gender, city of residence nor how the minor became infected.

… Previously, at least two other children in the US have had cases of monkeypox, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

One case involved a California toddler, and the other involved an infant who is not a US resident.

The two cases are unrelated and probably the result of household transmission, the CDC said. Public health officials are investigating how the children got infected.

… In the case of children, the CDC said, this could include "holding, cuddling, feeding, as well as through shared items such as towels, bedding, cups, and utensils. 

The CDC said the Jynneos vaccine is being made available for children through special expanded use protocols.

The agency has also developed new guidance for health care providers about identifying, treating and preventing monkeypox in children and teens.“

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Probably parents. Third case in US of a child in New York. The case in the Mirror news was quoted from ABC13 and about a toddler in Harris County, Texas. That might be the non US resident case since the other case is in California.

Or maybe close family friends? Babysitter? Grandparents or relatives? All would potentially cuddle up for bottle feeding or to put a baby to sleep or read a book. Any of those situations could involve sharing hand towels in the bathroom before caring for a child. 

• Like 2

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/children-georgia-test-positive-monkeypox-officials/story?id=88821100&cid=social_fb_abcn&fbclid=IwAR2eIaTWRFgHNeCufchwTKN2w_K9HlRtOCe-z7MsEFa7G7m0qOHjsH597oA

Three cases in kids in Georgia.

I think from reading this article it looks like the Texas case was a false positive. 

Cases in NYC are apparently trending down. And possibly some part of Europe.

Authorities in Aus are becoming concerned as there have been some cases of unlinked transmission. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Was this about the Texas moneypox in a kid case?

No, it's about the "tomato flu" outbreak in India:

"A “new virus” called tomato flu has been reported in Kerala, India. According to an article in The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, the first case of this mysterious illness was reported on May 6. There have now been over 80 cases, with the disease spreading to other parts of India. 

<snip>

Scientists have been testing samples from children with tomato flu to try to identify the cause of the disease. Two children in the UK who developed suspected tomato flu symptoms after returning from a family holiday in Kerala were swabbed. The lab results revealed that they were infected with an enterovirus named coxsackie A16.

Coxsackie A16 causes hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), so-called because the patient has blisters on the palms of their hands, soles of their feet and in their mouth.

So it seems that tomato flu is actually HFMD. It is not a type of influenza, has nothing to do with tomatoes and is not a new disease at all."

• Like 3

@mommyoffive her point 4, there is a bigger increase week on week. 

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/response/2022/us-map.html

LocationSort by location in no order

CasesSort by cases in no order

Alabama 69
Alaska 3
Arizona 317
Arkansas 32
California 3,629
Colorado 198
Connecticut 91
Delaware 22
District Of Columbia 432
Florida 1,922
Georgia 1,403
Hawaii 18
Idaho 11
Illinois 1,069
Indiana 153
Iowa 18
Kansas 5
Kentucky 31
Louisiana 183
Maine 5
Maryland 484
Massachusetts 303
Michigan 186
Minnesota 123
Mississippi 32
Missouri 53
Montana 5
Nebraska 27
Nevada 141
New Hampshire 20
New Jersey 512
New Mexico 26
New York 3,310
North Carolina 318
North Dakota 5
Ohio 172
Oklahoma 22
Oregon 141
Pennsylvania 544
Puerto Rico 111
Rhode Island 43
South Carolina 113
South Dakota 2
Tennessee 181
Texas 1,664
Utah 100
Vermont 3
Virginia 339
Washington 332
West Virginia 5
Wisconsin 56
Wyoming 2

• Sad 2

@mommyoffive@YaelAldrich Looking at the data I saved for week on week, it does make me think that the numbers may be underreported. Some states has such regular increments that it seems to be more of how many tests were done?  California has a relatively large jump in cases which could be due to either more tests were done instead of assuming its STD, or more test capacity? 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/press-briefings/2022/08/30/press-briefing-by-white-house-monkeypox-response-team-and-public-health-officials-4/

“Today, I am happy to announce that we will be allocating an additional supply of the JYNNEOS vaccine vials to the Southern Decadence festival in New Orleans, Louisiana, and the Black Pride festival in Atlanta, Georgia, which will allow up to 5,000 vaccinations at each event.

We’ll also be allocating an additional supply of JYNNEOS vials to two festivals in Oakland, California: the Pride festival, which is also this weekend, and PrideFest on September 11th.  This allocation will allow up to 2,400 additional vaccinations.

In addition, we increased testing capacity from 6,000 specimens per week to up to 80,000 specimens per week.  And we made 50,000 patient courses of TPOXX available to jurisdictions.  That’s the treatment that people can use if they do have monkeypox.”

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@mommyoffive@YaelAldrich Looking at the data I saved for week on week, it does make me think that the numbers may be underreported. Some states has such regular increments that it seems to be more of how many tests were done?  California has a relatively large jump in cases which could be due to either more tests were done instead of assuming its STD, or more test capacity? 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/press-briefings/2022/08/30/press-briefing-by-white-house-monkeypox-response-team-and-public-health-officials-4/

“Today, I am happy to announce that we will be allocating an additional supply of the JYNNEOS vaccine vials to the Southern Decadence festival in New Orleans, Louisiana, and the Black Pride festival in Atlanta, Georgia, which will allow up to 5,000 vaccinations at each event.

We’ll also be allocating an additional supply of JYNNEOS vials to two festivals in Oakland, California: the Pride festival, which is also this weekend, and PrideFest on September 11th.  This allocation will allow up to 2,400 additional vaccinations.

In addition, we increased testing capacity from 6,000 specimens per week to up to 80,000 specimens per week.  And we made 50,000 patient courses of TPOXX available to jurisdictions.  That’s the treatment that people can use if they do have monkeypox.”

Ooh!  I bet you are correct about the numbers of testing that can be done!

The more we go on with these epidemics/pandemics I really start to want a tin foil hat because things never seem to add up...

• Like 1

This seems to be as good a place as any for this

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2022/09/argentina-investigates-outbreak-of-unidentified-illness/

Health authorities are investigating an outbreak of an unidentified illness that has sickened at least nine people at a private clinic in northern Argentina, officials say. Three of those infected have died.

The health ministry in Tucumán province reported three new cases at Luz Médica on Thursday, raising the total to nine, with symptoms that include pneumonia and fever. Three of those infected – a doctor, a nurse, and a patient – have died.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 7

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Scary that a nurse and a doctor were infected and died before the patient. My mom passed from pneumonia and bronchitis. It is not seen as something contagious enough to warrant nurses to use PPE. The scenario at San Miguel de Tucumán reminds me of SARS in Asia in 2003.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Scary that a nurse and a doctor were infected and died before the patient. My mom passed from pneumonia and bronchitis. It is not seen as something contagious enough to warrant nurses to use PPE. The scenario at San Miguel de Tucumán reminds me of SARS in Asia in 2003.

Yes, I was thinking that 😞 

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This seems to be as good a place as any for this

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2022/09/argentina-investigates-outbreak-of-unidentified-illness/

Health authorities are investigating an outbreak of an unidentified illness that has sickened at least nine people at a private clinic in northern Argentina, officials say. Three of those infected have died.

The health ministry in Tucumán province reported three new cases at Luz Médica on Thursday, raising the total to nine, with symptoms that include pneumonia and fever. Three of those infected – a doctor, a nurse, and a patient – have died.

I feel like we are going to constantly have a pandemic thread on here.  Oh man.   

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://afludiary.blogspot.com/2022/09/argentina-moh-briefing-on-unidentified.html?m=1

More detail on what’s been tested for so far here.

https://batimes.com.ar/news/argentina/bilateral-pneumonia-of-unknown-origin-kills-two-infects-six-in-tucuman.phtml

“"What these patients have in common is a severe respiratory condition with bilateral pneumonia and imaging [on x-rays] very similar to Covid, but this has been ruled out," said Medina Ruiz.

The official said that the patients had been tested for Covid-19, flu, influenza types A+ and B+, Hantavirus and 25 other viruses and that the mystery pneumonia had yet to be identified.

"Among the possible causes are, of course, infectious [viruses] and others that are toxic or environmental, which is why we are analysing the water, discharges from air conditioning, that is, other situations that generate similar episodes," he added.

The samples of the "cases of pneumonia of unknown origin" are being investigated by the ANLIS-Malbrán Institute laboratory, the main research laboratory in the country, Argentina's National Health Ministry said in a statement.

The third victim was a 70-year-old patient admitted to the same clinic where staff have been infected, ahead of a surgical procedure.

Medina said the woman could have been "patient zero, but that is being evaluated."”

Just wanted to post this here to 

Considerations for your fall booster - by Katelyn Jetelina (substack.com)

The CDC recommends spacing the COVID-19 booster with Jynneos (monkeypox vaccine), especially in young men, 4 weeks apart. If there is need for Jynneos in terms of an outbreak, don’t wait! But consider delaying the booster after Jynneos. This is based on the fact that myocarditis is higher among the second generation monkeypox vaccine (called ACAM2000), and we don’t know why. We haven’t seen these safety signals with Jynneos (third generation monkeypox vaccine), but we are proceeding with caution.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bookbard said:

New Argentina case, sounds like from another hospital. 

That 10th case was previously hospitalized in the first hospital. https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/09/argentine-officials-probe-deadly-unexplained-pneumonia-outbreak But this is not good: We may be seeing further spread in that new hospital. Also, so many hospital workers being infected is worrisome. I hope they are quarantining close contacts. Given the lethality, more rigorous measures might also be wise before this takes off/while they figure out what it is.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, bookbard said:

Oh interesting. So there's no chance it's a kind of environmental Legionnaire's disease? 

They tested for legionnaires I think, but I wondered the same if it was some kind of mould or toxin or environmental thing rather than infectious. 

One of the virologists was speculating about leptospiroses which came up somewhere else earlier.

ETA looks like they only tested some strains of legionella so could still be possible 

“Last night and this morning we had information from the Malbrán Institute and so far all the studies that we had as negative -for Covid, Hantavirus and some strains of Legionella- are also giving negative results there. We continue to carry out the research protocol for blood cultures, sputum cultures, urine cultures and all the viruses and bacteria that we have available in the province

Edited by Ausmumof3

Argentina pneumonia case

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-62764402.amp
“Their close contacts are under follow-up but none have developed symptoms to date.

Hector Sale, president of the Tucuman provincial medical college, told local reporters: "We are not dealing with a disease that causes person-to-person transmission" as no cases have been identified among close contacts of any of the patients.

He said experts should have more answers within days thanks to the rapid speed that checks and tests can give results. 

Prof Beate Kampmann from The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine said: "It is too early to comment on whether this represents a threat to a wider population or remains restricted to the institution, or whether it might be caused by a new pathogen or one we already know about."

Prof Sir Peter Horby from Oxford University said there were echoes of how the Covid outbreak began with infections in healthcare workers involving severe pneumonia. 

But he added: "People shouldn't be overly alarmed. There are other potential explanations.

"At the moment I'm not overly concerned but I'll be watching it like a Hawk."”

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Just saw that the Argentina outbreak is Legionella:

3 out of 10 cases has passed. That’s a higher than usual fatality rate even for a healthcare facility. At least now they know what they are dealing with.

https://www.cdc.gov/legionella/about/diagnosis.html
About 1 out of every 10 people who gets sick with Legionnaires’ disease will die due to complications from their illness.1  For those who get Legionnaires’ disease during a stay in a healthcare facility, about 1 out of every 4 will die.2

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

3 out of 10 cases has passed. That’s a higher than usual fatality rate even for a healthcare facility. At least now they know what they are dealing with.

https://www.cdc.gov/legionella/about/diagnosis.html
About 1 out of every 10 people who gets sick with Legionnaires’ disease will die due to complications from their illness.1  For those who get Legionnaires’ disease during a stay in a healthcare facility, about 1 out of every 4 will die.2

It does seem like a higher rate, especially given that some of those who caught it were healthcare staff. If it was patients who were already ill dying, it would be more understandable. At least it’s not something that will spread I guess.

There seems to have been a few outbreaks of this hitting the news. I wonder if it’s becoming more common, or just that I’m noticing more.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1038/s41426-018-0051-z

This study from 2017 was shared by Raina McIntyre which was interesting. (She’s one of the OzSAGE people and used to work for WHO).

“Legionella is transmitted to humans through inhalation of contaminated aerosols–common environmental sources of these aerosols include drinking water, whirlpool spas, cooling towers and decorative fountains. Other reported sources include humidifiers and produce misters. Human to human transmission generally does not occur but was reported in a LD outbreak in Portugal. The outbreak started on November 2014 and 334 confirmed cases were reported within 1 month. The source of the outbreak was a wet cooling system, but person to person transmission was reported in one case.”

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

There seems to have been a few outbreaks of this hitting the news. I wonder if it’s becoming more common, or just that I’m noticing more.

Buildings being closed or partially closed during the pandemic would probably lead to higher risk of legionnaires disease. 
https://www.barrons.com/amp/news/argentine-ministry-links-four-deaths-to-legionnaires-disease-01662246307

“Argentine health officials said Saturday that four people in a clinic in northwestern Tucuman province had died of Legionnaires' disease, a relatively rare bacterial infection of the lungs.

Health Minister Carla Vizzotti told reporters that Legionnaires' had been identified as the underlying cause of double pneumonia in the four, who had suffered high fevers, body aches and trouble breathing.

The deaths, all since Monday, occurred in a single clinic in the city of San Miguel de Tucuman.

….

Seven other symptomatic cases have been identified, all from the same establishment and nearly all involving clinic personnel, provincial officials said.

Of those seven, "four remain hospitalized, three of them under respiratory assistance, and three are under home surveillance, with less complicated clinical symptoms," said provincial health minister Luis Medina Ruiz on Saturday.

….

Samples were then sent to the prestigious Malbran Institute in Buenos Aires. Tests there pointed to Legionnaires'.

On Wednesday, Medina Ruiz had said that "toxic and environmental causes" could not be ruled out. He noted that the clinic's climate-control systems were being checked.

Vizzotti said authorities are working to ensure the clinic is safe for patients and staff.“

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Buildings being closed or partially closed during the pandemic would probably lead to higher risk of legionnaires disease. 
https://www.barrons.com/amp/news/argentine-ministry-links-four-deaths-to-legionnaires-disease-01662246307

“Argentine health officials said Saturday that four people in a clinic in northwestern Tucuman province had died of Legionnaires' disease, a relatively rare bacterial infection of the lungs.

Health Minister Carla Vizzotti told reporters that Legionnaires' had been identified as the underlying cause of double pneumonia in the four, who had suffered high fevers, body aches and trouble breathing.

The deaths, all since Monday, occurred in a single clinic in the city of San Miguel de Tucuman.

….

Seven other symptomatic cases have been identified, all from the same establishment and nearly all involving clinic personnel, provincial officials said.

Of those seven, "four remain hospitalized, three of them under respiratory assistance, and three are under home surveillance, with less complicated clinical symptoms," said provincial health minister Luis Medina Ruiz on Saturday.

….

Samples were then sent to the prestigious Malbran Institute in Buenos Aires. Tests there pointed to Legionnaires'.

On Wednesday, Medina Ruiz had said that "toxic and environmental causes" could not be ruled out. He noted that the clinic's climate-control systems were being checked.

Vizzotti said authorities are working to ensure the clinic is safe for patients and staff.“

Yes that would make sense. I think the study above suggested that non sufficiently cleaned/purified potable water is the most common cause. I guess the longer it sits the more it can get amplified as well. Is it the thing you can get from potting mix as well? Or am I mixing that up? 

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yes that would make sense. I think the study above suggested that non sufficiently cleaned/purified potable water is the most common cause. I guess the longer it sits the more it can get amplified as well. Is it the thing you can get from potting mix as well? Or am I mixing that up? 

There is Legionella longbeachae in potting mix and Legionella pneumophila in cooling towers/potable water.

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/health-advisories/health-warning-to-gardeners-using-potting-mix

“Legionella longbeachae bacteria can cause Legionnaires’ disease, a form of pneumonia.

The Department of Health has been notified of 34 cases of Legionella longbeachae infection from 1 January to 6 October 2021.  There were 44 cases reported in 2020, and 38 cases in 2019. 

While Legionella longbeachae is found in tiny quantities in the general environment (including soil), it is not normally a health hazard. However, the ingredients and dampness of potting mix make it the ideal breeding ground for the bacteria.

Legionella longbeachae is different to Legionella pneumophila, the more common cause of Legionnaires' disease found in poorly maintained cooling towers and spas.“

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Simply horrific: measles outbreak in Zimbabwe. Mostly unvaccinated children due to their families' religious beliefs.

This just breaks my heart! So preventable. I am not a supporter of religious freedom to this extent at all. A parent's right to believe does not trump a child's right to live.

Measles will likely make it here sooner or later. The stats for my county indicate there will be carnage and casualties when it does. My local elementary school has 12% of students there unvaxed on religious waivers. Though there are a couple of schools with 0% waivers, and a few with just a very small percentage 3-4%, there are religious schools with unforgiveably ridiculous waiver rates. And it should be noted the covid vaccine is NOT a required childhood vaccine. We are talking about DTaP, Polio, Chicken Pox, MMR, and HIB being the required ones for school enrollment. Here are the rates for three parochial schools within a 30 minute drive of my house, these are the waiver rates thus the percentage of UNvaxed students. 87%, 66.7%, and 72.5%. 😭.The one around the corner from us refuses to report to the state. From talking with the pastor of the church that runs it - someone whose children are vaxed fully to protect their little brother with an immune disorder - I can make a pretty solid, educated guess that 75% of the students have had no childhood immunizations. He homeschools his kids, but that isn't going to protect them long living on the same property as that school, and people walk across tp the parsonage all the time to try to speak to him or his wife. His kids play on the playground equipment. He may have to put them into a total lockdown if it or polio hits Michigan.

The stats just kill me. The public elementary near me is bad enough but still a fairly good, protective herd immunity. But those parochial schools are just going to be super spreaders, and these are diseases with frightening maim/kill rates. Every community will know children who have died or been immune compromised from measles, left with devastated health and disabilities.

I weep for Zimbabwe's children, and I weep for the children here. So many parents blinded by dangerous conspiracy theories and religious fervor. 😢😢😢

• Sad 6

14 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It is half the dosage (1/10th) they are doing currently for intradermal injections. My county has been doing the 1/5th dosage intradermal injections.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/clinical-trial-evaluating-monkeypox-vaccine-begins

“Adults ages 18 to 50 years who have not been vaccinated against smallpox or monkeypox previously are eligible to enroll in the NIAID trial. Investigators aim to include a demographically diverse group of volunteers that represents those affected by monkeypox. All trial participants will receive the JYNNEOS vaccine in some form. Participants will be assigned at random to one of three study arms:

• One arm will receive the standard, licensed regimen of 1x108 infectious virus particles administered subcutaneously.
  • Another arm will receive 2x107 infectious virus particles (one-fifth of the standard regimen) administered intradermally, the regimen recently authorized by the FDA.
  • A third arm will receive one-tenth (1x107infectious virus particles) of the standard regimen of JYNNEOS administered intradermally.

Investigators will assess whether the peak immune responses induced in recipients receiving the vaccine intradermally are at least as good as those induced by the licensed subcutaneous regimen and will compare the relative safety and tolerability of the different regimens.

Volunteers will be asked to participate in eight study visits over the course of a year where they will undergo physical examinations and provide blood samples for laboratory evaluations. An independent Data and Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) will monitor participant safety throughout the duration of the study.

The trial will enroll volunteers at the following sites:

• Saint Louis University in Missouri
  • Baylor College of Medicine in Houston
  • Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston
  • The NIH Clinical Center in Bethesda, Maryland
  • George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
  • Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee
  • The Hope Clinic at Emory University in Decatur, Georgia
  • The University of California, San Diego

Investigators anticipate the trial will take 15 months to complete; however, initial results could be available in early 2023. For more information, please visit clincialtrials.gov and search identifier NCT05512949.”

• Like 1