Menu

S/O Monkeypox news & polio news

Arcadia

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

That makes it look more dire than it is... we often are highest per capita on things that hit cities harder than whole states (though, for the record, for anyone playing attention, we have a higher population than two of those states, support statehood). But... I also read that we have the highest per capita of major cities as well.

The city is advertising the vaccine like mad and a couple of people I know who are eligible have gotten the first dose. It seems like the city is managing it reasonably well... it's just... is there any push behind the scenes to produce more vaccine, you know? Because this is about to explode.

Evidently the only place that CAN make the vaccine is shut down until next year -- preplanned before monkeypox blew up like it did

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Amazing how we’ve gone from this is no big deal because we have a vaccine to we actually don’t know how well the vaccine works and we don’t have enough of it. 

Given the current vaccine situation, I don’t think we can vaccinate our way out of this. The vaccines need to happen, but there needs to be other layers to the approach. It’s Covid all over again. I’m concerned the 1/5 dose strategy with a vaccine that we don’t even know how well it works at full strength is going to lead to lots of people thinking they are protected and can proceed without any other precautions with the result of continued explosive spread. (It’s like the way I still hear people who say they’re not worried about catching Covid during various higher risk activities because they’re fully vaxed, as if that means they’re not going to catch it even if they take no other precautions.)

• Like 4

@KSera@vonfirmath@Ausmumof3

@Corraleno@kbutton
20 million doses of Jynneos expired due to shelf life.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/01/nyregion/monkeypox-vaccine-jynneos-us.html

“After 2001, the United States sought an effective smallpox vaccine with fewer side effects. In 2003 it began pumping millions of dollars into Bavarian Nordic, a small company with a promising new smallpox vaccine.

By 2013, Bavarian Nordic had delivered 20 million doses of its new smallpox vaccine to the Strategic National Stockpile, according to the company’s annual report as well as U.S. documents.

The vaccine came in vials in liquid-frozen form, with a three-year shelf life.

… In 2009, the company received a $95 million contract from the United States to begin developing a freeze-dried formulation with a shelf life of five to 10 years.

As the 20 million Jynneos doses began to expire, and with the freeze-dried version still in development, the United States ordered another eight million, which were shipped to the nation’s stockpile in 2015, according to Bavarian Nordic and the U.S. Health and Human Services.

… By 2017, all 27,993,370 doses in the national Jynneos stockpile had expired, although the United States still had a huge stockpile of its other smallpox vaccines.

“In fairness, I’m not sure anybody in their right mind would have thought we needed more smallpox vaccine,” said Dr. Nicole Lurie, who oversaw the stockpile during her eight-year tenure as assistant secretary for preparedness and response within Health and Human Services under President Barack Obama.

Both Jynneos and the older stockpiled smallpox vaccines, such as ACAM2000, are good choices as a smallpox vaccine. Federal officials expect ACAM2000 to protect against monkeypox and have shipped doses to local health authorities for use, but its harsher side effects make many doctors uncomfortable with using it for a mass monkeypox vaccination campaign.

… In early 2020, the United States placed an order for 1.4 million liquid-frozen doses from Bavarian Nordic, its first significant order for ready-to-use product in years. About 372,000 of those doses were filled by a contractor and shipped back to the United States in recent weeks. They have been the main source of doses for the country’s monkeypox vaccination program so far.

The rest were filled at Bavarian Nordic’s new fill-finish facility, which was up and running in 2021.

But the F.D.A. had not inspected the facility by the time the monkeypox outbreak began. As a result, the bulk of the 1.4 million-dose order sat in Denmark until last month, when F.D.A. inspectors arrived.

Now, the U.S. government has asked Bavarian Nordic to begin sending as many doses as quickly as possible, setting aside the goal of a freeze-dried formulation for the time being.

But it may be months before the company is able to deliver millions of more doses from the bulk vaccine supply that the United States has been paying Bavarian Nordic for years to store, U.S. officials say.

With far too little Jynneos on hand to contain the monkeypox outbreak, federal officials are taking a fresh look at the expired doses, which it still has on hand. Health and Human Services officials have sent samples back to Bavarian Nordic for testing.

It is “very unlikely” they are still viable, officials say. But if they are, the Administration for Strategic Response and Preparedness, a division within H.H.S., said it would make them “available for the response.””

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Evidently the only place that CAN make the vaccine is shut down until next year -- preplanned before monkeypox blew up like it did

There are two places that does the final step of putting the vaccines into vials; the outsourced contractor and Bavarian Nordic. Now the vaccine is being put into vials in-house at the Bavarian Nordic facility which was FDA approved recently.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/upmc-childrens-hospital-employee-monkeypox/

Infection confirmed in children’s hospital employee.

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - A UPMC Children's Hospital employee has been diagnosed with monkeypox, though the health system said it believes there's a "very low" risk of exposure. 

The employee works at an outpatient clinic at Children's, UPMC confirmed in a statement. 

UPMC said it already had precautions in place to prevent the spread of monkeypox, and while the health system believes there's a low risk of exposure, it's still contacting patients and staff who may have had contact with the employee.

• Sad 3

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/about/press/pr2022/nysdoh-and-nycdohm-wastewater-monitoring-finds-polio-urge-to-get-vaccinated.page
August 12, 2022 — The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYCDOHMH) today updated New Yorkers on the detection of poliovirus (the virus that causes paralytic polio) in sewage, suggesting likely local circulation of the virus. Polio can lead to permanent paralysis of the arms and legs and even death in some cases. 

“For every one case of paralytic polio identified, hundreds more may be undetected,” State Health Commissioner Dr. Mary T. Bassett said. “The detection of poliovirus in wastewater samples in New York City is alarming, but not surprising. Already, the State Health Department – working with local and federal partners – is responding urgently, continuing case investigation and aggressively assessing spread. The best way to keep adults and children polio-free is through safe and effective immunization – New Yorkers’ greatest protection against the worst outcomes of polio, including permanent paralysis and even death.” 

“The risk to New Yorkers is real but the defense is so simple – get vaccinated against polio,” said Health Commissioner Dr. Ashwin Vasan. “With polio circulating in our communities there is simply nothing more essential than vaccinating our children to protect them from this virus, and if you’re an unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated adult, please choose now to get the vaccine. Polio is entirely preventable and its reappearance should be a call to action for all of us.”

These findings follow the identification of a case of paralytic polio among a Rockland County resident on July 21,and the detection of poliovirus in wastewater samples collected in May, June and July from neighboring New York City counties, Rockland and Orange County – underscoring the urgency of every adult, including pregnant New Yorkers, and children staying up to date with the polio immunization schedule, particularly those in the greater New York metropolitan area. NYSDOH and NYCDOHMH will continue its active, ongoing wastewater surveillance efforts in partnership with CDC and to ensure prevention measures, particularly immunization clinics, are in place as the best way to keep New Yorkers and children polio-free is to maintain high immunity across the population through safe and effective immunization.

Vaccine coverage for routinely recommended vaccines has fallen among children in New York City since 2019, putting us at risk for outbreaks and devastating complications of vaccine preventable diseases. Only 86.2% of NYC children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years old have received 3 doses of the polio vaccine – nearly 14% remain not fully protected. Of particular concern are neighborhoods where coverage of children aged six-months to five-years-old with three doses of polio vaccine is less than 70%, putting these children at risk of contracting polio.

As of August 1, 2022, Rockland County has a polio vaccination rate of 60.34 percent and Orange County has a polio vaccination rate of 58.68 percent, compared to the statewide average of 78.96 percent, among children who have received 3 polio immunizations before their second birthday.”

Edited by Arcadia
Formatting

9 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

As of August 1, 2022, Rockland County has a polio vaccination rate of 60.34 percent and Orange County has a polio vaccination rate of 58.68 percent, compared to the statewide average of 78.96 percent, among children who have received 3 polio immunizations before their second birthday.”

wow, that's really low. Hopefully they do a national campaign on childhood immunisation because imagine what else isn't getting done. I thought in the USA you had to be jabbed to go to school? In Australia I think it's to go to preschool, but school is open to all. 

Australia's monkeypox levels have remained low, last number I heard was 66. So that's good. 

@bookbard @Ausmumof3@kbutton I don’t know what to make of this

https://www.cdc.gov/cpr/polioviruscontainment/diseaseandvirus.htm

“Inactivated poliovirus vaccine

Inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) protects people against all three types of poliovirus. IPV does not contain live virus, so people who receive this vaccine do not shed the virus and cannot infect others, and the vaccine cannot cause disease. IPV does not stop transmission of the virus.  OPV is used wherever a polio outbreak needs to be contained, even in countries which rely exclusively on IPV for their routine immunization program. Once polio has been eradicated, use of all OPV will need to be stopped to prevent re-establishment of transmission due to VDPVs. Countries that use bOPV have added a single dose of IPV to protect against WPV2.”

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

With polio circulating in our communities there is simply nothing more essential than vaccinating our children to protect them from this virus, and if you’re an unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated adult, please choose now to get the vaccine.

I found this about adults at risk. I am happy to see that oral polio vaccination is actually more robust since that is what I had. 

https://doh.wa.gov/you-and-your-family/immunization/diseases-and-vaccines-can-prevent-them/polio-0/when-should-you-get-polio-vaccination

There are two types of polio vaccine:

Inactivated Poliovirus (IPV)

IPV is a shot given in the leg or the arm, depending on age. IPV is the vaccine recommended in the United States today.

Oral Poliovirus (OPV)

OPV is a live oral vaccine that is swallowed.

Before January 1, 2000, OPV was recommended for most kids in the United States. OPV helped rid the country of polio and is still used in many parts of the world. Since January 1, 2000, IPV has been adopted as the standard United States vaccine. Both vaccines give immunity to polio, but OPV is better at keeping the disease from spreading to other people. However, for a few people (about 1 in 2.4 million), OPV actually causes polio. Since the risk of getting polio in the United States is now extremely low, experts believe that using oral polio vaccine is no longer worth the slight risk, except in limited circumstances, which your doctor can describe. The polio shot (IPV) does not cause polio.

The polio vaccine may be given at the same time as other vaccines.

Most people should get polio vaccine when they are kids. Kids get four doses of IPV at age:

• Two months.
  • Four months.
  • Six to eighteen months.
  • Four to six years (booster dose).

Most adults don't need polio vaccine because they were already vaccinated as kids, but three groups of adults are at higher risk and should consider polio vaccination:

• People who travel to areas of the world where polio is common.
  • Lab workers who might handle poliovirus.
  • Health care workers who treat patients who could have polio.

Adults in these three groups who have never been vaccinated against polio should get three doses of IPV:

• The first dose: at any time.
  • The second dose: one to two months after the first dose.
  • The third dose: 6 to 12 months after the second dose.

Adults in these three groups who have had one or two doses of polio vaccine in the past should get the remaining one or two doses. It doesn't matter how long it has been since the earlier dose(s).

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

OPV is used wherever a polio outbreak needs to be contained, even in countries which rely exclusively on IPV for their routine immunization program. Once polio has been eradicated, use of all OPV will need to be stopped to prevent re-establishment of transmission due to VDPVs.

I think the link that I found and posted before seeing your latest post suggests this is due to greater effectiveness of the oral vaccine. When polio is tamped down, the OPV is too risky. 

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Countries that use bOPV have added a single dose of IPV to protect against WPV2.”

Okay, I thought there was something about another strain that is in the IPV and not in the oral vaccine.

This is frustrating to wade through! 

I am thinking I want a dose of IPV. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I think the link that I found and posted before seeing your latest post suggests this is due to greater effectiveness of the oral vaccine. When polio is tamped down, the OPV is too risky. 

Okay, I thought there was something about another strain that is in the IPV and not in the oral vaccine.

This is frustrating to wade through! 

I am thinking I want a dose of IPV. 

I saw your reply on the other thread and think your husband and you should get the booster. I would probably get the booster too before my next trip back to Asia. 

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@bookbard @Ausmumof3@kbutton I don’t know what to make of this

https://www.cdc.gov/cpr/polioviruscontainment/diseaseandvirus.htm

“Inactivated poliovirus vaccine

Inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) protects people against all three types of poliovirus. IPV does not contain live virus, so people who receive this vaccine do not shed the virus and cannot infect others, and the vaccine cannot cause disease. IPV does not stop transmission of the virus.  OPV is used wherever a polio outbreak needs to be contained, even in countries which rely exclusively on IPV for their routine immunization program. Once polio has been eradicated, use of all OPV will need to be stopped to prevent re-establishment of transmission due to VDPVs. Countries that use bOPV have added a single dose of IPV to protect against WPV2.”

Pretty sure youngest had the oral one as it was in a syringe by mouth? I’ll have to double check. It sounds like the live one is more effective so when there’s an urgent need to maximise effectiveness they switch to that one? 

“IPV does not stop transmission of the virus.”

this is what stood out to me. Does that mean that fully vaccinated people could be asymptotically spreading polio if it came in from overseas? 

I know we had similar issues with whooping cough where they switched to less effective vaccines due to anti vax fears over the preservatives used but it didn’t work well against all strains and one of these strains took off. Booster campaigns seemed to slow it down.

I’m assuming VDPV stands for vaccine derived polio virus?

So if I understand correctly it’s saying that there’s three strains of polio, one is extinct as far as we know so countries only vaccinate against the other two with the live virus vaccine? The inactivated virus vaccine that’s used in most Western countries doesn’t actually prevent transmission only disease so when there’s an outbreak you need the original one. But then the original one carries the risk of spillover so as soon as an outbreak is controlled you want to switch back?

Does that sound right? It’s much more complicated than I thought, that’s for sure. 

If my understanding is correct, anyone travelling to countries with wild polio should be required to have the OPV before they go? 

Edited by Ausmumof3

I thought that the problem with IPV is that you need several doses, whereas with the OPV you only need one. So when doing a big polio campaign in a developing country, you need something that's once and done, because the follow up is just too difficult. 

I was part of a polio campaign in a developing country in the late 90s. It was oral. I was given a polio booster before leaving Australia, I think it was injected though. I am fairly sure my kids' polio shot was injected. 

OK, looking up wikipedia it's a bit more complex with the IPV vs OPV. Oral is easier than needles for a mass campaign, but actually they want multiple doses (one oral dose is about 50% effective, but 3 doses is 95%). And it has to be kept cold. 

Edited by bookbard
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Does that sound right? It’s much more complicated than I thought, that’s for sure. 

I agree - it is quite complex, and I'm amazed we've come so close to wiping it out, esp when you read about a lot of the conspiracy theories which have hampered efforts in Pakistan etc.

• Like 1

https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/contents/vaccine-preventable-diseases/poliomyelitis

This info is a bit more detailed and relevant to Australia. Polio can spread 7-10 days before symptoms appear if they appear at all and 7-10 days afterwards. Transmission is faecal oral (so all that hand washing might be helpful for something!) 

Immunocompromised people can shed the oral vaccine virus for several years.

Oral vaccine strains that are shed for many years or that infect people who are immunocompromised may mutate into neurovirulent strains.

• Like 1

https://polioeradication.org/polio-today/polio-prevention/the-vaccines/ipv/

Disadvantages

• IPV induces very low levels of immunity in the intestine. As a result, when a person immunized with IPV is infected with wild poliovirus, the virus can still multiply inside the intestines and be shed in the faeces, risking continued circulation.
  • IPV is over five times more expensive than OPV. Administering the vaccine requires trained health workers, as well as sterile injection equipment and procedures.

Recommended use

An increasing number of industrialized, polio-free countries are using IPV as the vaccine of choice. This is because the risk of paralytic polio associated with continued routine use of OPV is deemed greater than the risk of imported wild virus.

However, as IPV does not stop transmission of the virus, OPV is used wherever a polio outbreak needs to be contained, even in countries which rely exclusively on IPV for their routine immunization programme.
Once polio has been eradicated, use of all OPV will need to be stopped to prevent re-establishment of transmission due to VDPVs.

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Disadvantages

• IPV induces very low levels of immunity in the intestine. As a result, when a person immunized with IPV is infected with wild poliovirus, the virus can still multiply inside the intestines and be shed in the faeces, risking continued circulation.
  • IPV is over five times more expensive than OPV. Administering the vaccine requires trained health workers, as well as sterile injection equipment and procedures.

EKS reply about serum immunity versus local immunity. Quoting from her reply, and I bolded the scary part

” Natural infection and vaccination with oral polioviruses vaccine (OPV) produce local immunity in the intestine and the nasopharynx in about 70-80% of individuals. In contrast, inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) produces local intestinal immunity in only 20-30% of the individuals. With either vaccine, however, a substantial proportion of the immunized population can transmit the wild virus.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

EKS reply about serum immunity versus local immunity. Quoting from her reply, and I bolded the scary part

” Natural infection and vaccination with oral polioviruses vaccine (OPV) produce local immunity in the intestine and the nasopharynx in about 70-80% of individuals. In contrast, inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) produces local intestinal immunity in only 20-30% of the individuals. With either vaccine, however, a substantial proportion of the immunized population can transmit the wild virus.

I guess the positive thing is that protection against disease is good, just not good for the unvaccinated? Or anyone for whom the vaccines don’t take effectively? 

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Administering the vaccine requires trained health workers, as well as sterile injection equipment and procedures.

The thing is, though, surely admin of measles, tentanus vaccine etc needs the above. I'm assuming there are campaigns for those - so why not do polio at the same time?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bookbard said:

The thing is, though, surely admin of measles, tentanus vaccine etc needs the above. I'm assuming there are campaigns for those - so why not do polio at the same time?

I’m assuming this is more of an issue for less developed countries (sorry if that’s the wrong term. I can never remember the right way to say it but hopefully that’s not offensive )

7 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m assuming this is more of an issue for less developed countries (sorry if that’s the wrong term. I can never remember the right way to say it but hopefully that’s not offensive 

Yes, but developing countries still have to wipe out measles (and covid, which is via needles). I guess it's probably down to economics though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bookbard said:

Yes, but developing countries still have to wipe out measles (and covid, which is via needles). I guess it's probably down to economics though.

I imagine they are having similar challenges with all those things? Plus refrigeration, transport etc? 

@Ausmumof3@bookbard

Poliovirus Infection Outbreak Response Plan for Australia (January 2019) https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2022/05/poliovirus-infection-outbreak-response-plan-for-australia.pdf (47 pages)

Triggers for Activation of the Plan

A single confirmed or probable case of WPV or cVDPV poliovirus infection (as defined by the national notifiable diseases surveillance case definition) is considered an outbreak.

There are several possible scenarios for an outbreak of poliovirus infection to occur in Australia that would trigger activation of the Plan. These include:
Scenario 1 - Importation of a WPV case from an endemic country or a country with recently imported poliovirus. This is the most likely scenario as occurred in Australia in 20074; or
Scenario 2 - Importation of cVDPV from a country where cVDPV has been detected; or
Scenario 3 - Human acquisition of a WPV or cVDPV from a laboratory containment incident.

Any case of WPV or cVDPV in Australia will require epidemiological investigation to determine the likely source of infection.
The Operational Matrix on pages 8-9 (Table 1) guides the activation steps.

Scenarios that will not activate this plan

A case of vaccine associated paralytic poliomyelitis (VAPP) from a country that is still using OPV will be investigated, but is not likely to result in secondary cases and therefore would not lead to activation of this Plan.
Notifications concerning viruses with a genetic sequence indicative of having been shed from iVDPV, or virus classified as a VDPV, will not activate this Plan. With detection of an iVDPV, a rapid risk assessment will occur and a specific sub-plan for iVDPVs is being developed for Australia.”

@Ausmumof3 page 8 & 9 of 15 from the 2020 report in pdf has the surveillance tables (table 3 & 4)

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/cda-pubs-annlrpt-polioanrep.htm

“2020: Annual report of the Australian Enterovirus Poliovirus Reference Laboratory | https://doi.org/10.33321/cdi.2021.45.56
Full Text: (Word 417.14 KB) (PDF 3.09 MB)”

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Ausmumof3 page 8 & 9 of 15 from the 2020 report in pdf has the surveillance tables (table 3 & 4)

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/cda-pubs-annlrpt-polioanrep.htm

“2020: Annual report of the Australian Enterovirus Poliovirus Reference Laboratory | https://doi.org/10.33321/cdi.2021.45.56
Full Text: (Word 417.14 KB) (PDF 3.09 MB)”

I just skim-read because I need to get some stuff done now but this sounds promising

Given the urgent need to address recurrent cVDPV2 outbreaks, two novel OPV2 (nOPV2) vaccine candidates were developed that are more genetically stable and thus less capable of reversion to neurovirulence compared to the original Sabin OPV2 strain on which they were based. Clinical trial data demonstrated both nOPV2 candidate strains to be well tolerated with no serious adverse events, while provid- ing comparable protection against poliovirus type 2.27 Emergency Use Listing of nOPV2 vaccine has been granted and is expected to be used in response to cVDPV2 outbreaks from 2021. In anticipation of the use of nOPV2 in the field, WHO released an updated version of the ITD assay to enable detection and differ- entiation of wild, Sabin-like and nOPV type 2 poliovirus strains.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bookbard said:

wow, that's really low. Hopefully they do a national campaign on childhood immunisation because imagine what else isn't getting done. I thought in the USA you had to be jabbed to go to school? In Australia I think it's to go to preschool, but school is open to all. 

Australia's monkeypox levels have remained low, last number I heard was 66. So that's good. 

Public schools in the USA are for all. They ask for records of shots in certain grades, but there is no "You can't come" if you don't have immunization

18 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Public schools in the USA are for all. They ask for records of shots in certain grades, but there is no "You can't come" if you don't have immunization

To add to this, different states have different rules regarding exceptions. All allow them only for medical reasons, some also for religious or philosophical reasons. In the case of an outbreak of a disease someone has a vaccine exemption for, the child must be kept home from school and can't attend until the outbreak is over.

35 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

CT requires childhood immunizations as a condition of entry. Medical exemptions (almost impossible to get) but no religious exemptions. 

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES
RESPONDING TO A POLIOVIRUS EVENT OR OUTBREAK
 Version 4
March 2022

https://polioeradication.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Standard-Operating-Procedures-For-Responding-to-a-Poliovirus-Event-Or-Outbreak-20220807-EN-Final.pdf
Page 25

84D077CF-8815-4102-AAAB-15BDA49C3CC7.thumb.jpeg.572f2b1a3ed5a35dd7ba1d1022dbf1c0.jpeg

page 33

56917D99-AB12-4EE3-8CDC-DA39F6C2C669.thumb.jpeg.f2add16ecccdfdffd37114dc5579325b.jpeg

page 39

“INACTIVATED POLIO VACCINE (IPV)

IPV provides a high-level of individual immunity and protection against paralysis. IPV does not induce the necessary intestinal mucosal immunity in persons without prior OPV immunization for the corresponding serotype In children without previous OPV vaccination, IPV does not stop transmission of the virus. The Strategic Advisory
Group of Experts (SAGE) on Immunization recommends that IPV should not be used for outbreak response because evidence demonstrates that IPV campaigns are unlikely to reach children not reached
with OPV campaigns, have limited impact on stopping transmission and have a high programmatic cost. The priority of
outbreak response is to stop transmission; therefore, activities should focus on rapidly achieving high coverage with OPV. SAGE also recommended that vigorous efforts be made to improve routine IPV coverage in locations at risk of cVDPV2 outbreaks
to reduce the number of susceptible children before transmission or outbreaks can occur, especially in the context of reduced coverage caused by the COVID-19 pandemic”

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

1 hour ago, KSera said:

the child must be kept home from school and can't attend until the outbreak is over.

1 hour ago, whitestavern said:

Medical exemptions (almost impossible to get) but no religious exemptions. 

Cool, sounds the same as Australia then. And I agree that school should be for all, otherwise you're punishing the child for what the parents do/don't do. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 10:26 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

Disadvantages

And yet people said Covid vaccines were not "real" vaccines if they didn't prevent transmission because "all vaccines prevent transmission". When the reality is that lots of vaccines prevent serious illness more than they do infection and transmission. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 6

On 8/13/2022 at 1:12 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

"Monkeypox is not generally spread in the classroom setting. The virus spreads from person to person through close physical contact with infectious monkeypox sores, bodily fluids, contact with objects or fabrics used by someone who has monkeypox, or prolonged face-to-face contact."

It sounds like they're trying to suggest that the risk of mpx spreading in schools is very low, but then they list activities that are actually quite common in schools. Do they think high school kids don't hug their friends, or even just physically bump into each other in crowded hallways? Do students not have conversations close together, or touch the same desks/chairs/doors/water fountains/bathroom fixtures/etc as dozens of other students every day? Do they not borrow books and pens from each other, share food, etc? Is the school cancelling PE?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

"Monkeypox is not generally spread in the classroom setting. The virus spreads from person to person through close physical contact with infectious monkeypox sores, bodily fluids, contact with objects or fabrics used by someone who has monkeypox, or prolonged face-to-face contact."

It sounds like they're trying to suggest that the risk of mpx spreading in schools is very low, but then they list activities that are actually quite common in schools. Do they think high school kids don't hug their friends, or even just physically bump into each other in crowded hallways? Do students not have conversations close together, or touch the same desks/chairs/doors/water fountains/bathroom fixtures/etc as dozens of other students every day? Do they not borrow books and pens from each other, share food, etc? Is the school cancelling PE?

We just recently let our older kids go back to wrestling.  I'm so upset that we will probably have to pull back again. 

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I’m wondering about public restrooms…. I’ve mastered the art of the hover squat, but I know my kids aren’t as conscientious about it as I am…

I am not going to worry myself over restrooms. I use toilet liners but my main worry would be the toilet doors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Right. I mean, the desks alone have 5-7 kids in them per day. If someone with an open sore is leaning their arm on the desk, that exposes other kids. 

"Don't worry! It's only an issue if they do XYZ!" (quietly pretends that XYZ are not happening)

Same as the new Covid guidlines that have buried in them, "except in high transmission areas" which is of course, pretty much all areas. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

From your link, 4 weeks of isolation recommended if positive. That’s going to be hard on the student.

”However, for those who do test positive, isolation is recommended until the monkeypox lesions have completely healed with a new layer of skin which can take up to four weeks — significantly longer than what is currently recommended for those who are COVID-19 positive.

“Some universities had isolation housing for COVID, but most of those have sort of relinquished that inventory so that we can have more students living on campus, and so making sure we have the space for those students to stay safely is going to be very important,” Silvera said.”

• Sad 1

On 8/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, Arcadia said:

From your link, 4 weeks of isolation recommended if positive. That’s going to be hard on the student.

”However, for those who do test positive, isolation is recommended until the monkeypox lesions have completely healed with a new layer of skin which can take up to four weeks — significantly longer than what is currently recommended for those who are COVID-19 positive.

“Some universities had isolation housing for COVID, but most of those have sort of relinquished that inventory so that we can have more students living on campus, and so making sure we have the space for those students to stay safely is going to be very important,” Silvera said.”

We can’t even manage the 10 days for Covid I can’t imagine managing four weeks!

i did read today that although the scabs have viable virus they think it’s mostly only the fluid that’s super infectious so maybe that will cut isolation time a bit?

• Like 1