Menu

Spelling Before Ready For Spelling Curriculum

Momof4sweetkids

My 4 yo got a lcd writing pad for our airplane trip and now loves to write notes. Mostly things like "I love you. How are you?".  She has letter formation down pretty well, except for some reversals. I know she's too young for spelling curriculum but do you correct spelling at this age or just let her write and wait to correct until she is older?

Edited by Momof3sweetgirls

14 minutes ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

My 4 yo got a lcd writing pad for our airplane trip and now loves to write notes. Mostly things like "I love you. How are you?".  She has letter formation down pretty well, except for some reversals. I know she's too young for spelling curriculum but do you correct spelling at this age or just let her write and wait to correct until she is older?

I would let her write and correct later when she's older. Unless she asks you.

Also, I teach children to read with Spalding, which teaches children to read by teaching them to spell--a twofer!--and simultaneously teaches penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. I start when they are 5ish. I hate to wait too much later than that, even if I don't expect them to be actually reading until they are much older, because I want to get in there before bad penmanship habits get started. 🙂

13 hours ago, Ellie said:

I would let her write and correct later when she's older. Unless she asks you.

Also, I teach children to read with Spalding, which teaches children to read by teaching them to spell--a twofer!--and simultaneously teaches penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. I start when they are 5ish. I hate to wait too much later than that, even if I don't expect them to be actually reading until they are much older, because I want to get in there before bad penmanship habits get started. 🙂

Spalding sounds interesting! I'll have to look into it for her siblings. She's towards the end of AAR 2 and reading pretty fluently.

Edited by Momof3sweetgirls

For my 5 year old, I cover spelling(ish) when we are/he is reading. So on words he needs help with or I need to correct (only during reading lessons) then I cover the phonics, and/or roots/prefix/suffixes associated with the word. I've found science time a great time to cover some of the root word/suffix/prefix principles, because science words are super clear. For example we learn about dirt or soil and I talk about "earth" words (unearth, earthquake, earthworm, earthy,...) just to show him how to construct English by meaning. 

Most of what he "writes" is still mostly phonetic made up spelling, and if he asks me for help I guide primarily using phonics unless I absolutely have to use meaning to have the word spelled correctly. If he doesn't ask me for help I don't correct what he writes. He's already using so many skills there I don't want to overload.

• Thanks 1