Menu

Forgot about preschool

alysee

My fifth child is 4. She has been wanting real "school books" for the entire school year so in January I brought out the wipe clean tracing and letters books we have. It's made her so happy. Of course though, while planning for our 2022/2023 year I forgot about her since it's been so long since I've had that level so I sat down this afternoon to think through what she would like and what I can manage with a newborn coming at the end of August. Knowing that I wont be able to do everything everyday. 

Kate Snow Preschool Math at Home

All About Reading Prereading

Letter and Number Wipe Clean books

2 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

That sounds perfect!  Maybe add a few games?  I also highly recommend HWT uppercase letter book and the wooden pieces set.  My 4 year old calls them letter puzzles.  

What she said.

Enjoy that new baby!

Edited by Green Bean

4 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

That sounds perfect!  Maybe add a few games?  I also highly recommend HWT uppercase letter book and the wooden pieces set.  My 4 year old calls them letter puzzles.  

Games will definitely be a part of it too! I wasn't sure if HWT had a book for her age but I will add that too. 

My second is going to turn 4 next month. She is my 2nd, I don't have a lot planned for her either. 

HWT My First School Book. I think we'll go through letters as we go through them in this book. I have AAR pre-reading from her older brother, I may use that, but do the letter sequence according to HWT. 

My current plan for math is exploratory Montessori based/inspired. If I have to say we may cover golden beads (fetching), tens/teens, some 10-frame work (recognizing numbers on 10-frame), and we'll pursue whatever interests she has as well.

She loves "writing", narrating and story-telling. I'll try to incorporate some Jot It Down activities in our lessons plans. (Both kids are in the Jot It Down phase.)

I didn’t plan anything for my fifth for prek either and then he asked when he was going to start his own school…so off to plan here too!  We’re going to keep it simple with FIAR and a letter of the week type of thing.  I’ll just follow his lead and see what he expects school to be like. 

3 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Check out the Gakken toddler "workbooks".

Also the Kumon workbooks. The cutting, folding, tracing, mazes ones are good, the sticker ones are nice but it's hard to justify the price ( paper and stickers are high quality but there aren't a lot of pages). 

• Thanks 1

R&S has very inexpensive pre K - K workbooks.  You can see samples here... https://www.milestonebooks.com/list/Rod_and_Staff_Preschool/

I use them at the child's pace as a large part of pre-K and K work.  I add in a simple math program (beginning with MEP Reception -a great talking about numbers/game oriented program for 4 or 5 year olds) and a phonics program (like Phonics Pathways)  when the child is ready. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, Brittany1116 said:

Check out the Gakken toddler "workbooks".

Yes, my little miss wants to do school LOVED the Gakken workbooks this past year.  She felt very important doing a few pages with me each day.  That plus Kate Snow's Preschool Math and AAR pre-read was more than enough.  She hangs out with the big kids all day and gets plenty of read alouds that way.  Also, each of my older kids is assigned 10 minutes with her for school time; this takes a lot of crafts, puzzles, games, and read aloud practice (for the bigs) off my plate.

• 3 weeks later...

Also check out Kitchen Table Math and Marshmallow math books. Livingmath has a bunch of math readers, and naturalmath has a few as well. MEP has a free math curriculum starting with reception (prek).

Logic of English has the doodling dragons, whistling whales, and knitting knights series

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, Malam said:

Also check out Kitchen Table Math and Marshmallow math books. Livingmath has a bunch of math readers, and naturalmath has a few as well. MEP has a free math curriculum starting with reception (prek).

Logic of English has the doodling dragons, whistling whales, and knitting knights series

We have used this. It is a lovely math program for littles, and it's only scheduled a few days a week.