Menu

Applied Mathematics

My state requires a 4th math for graduation and admission to our local state U. My ds is finishing up precalc and has no interest in taking calculus 

Applied math, and stats are both options for him and I’d love to find a homeschool curriculum to work from.  Does anyone have any suggestions for an applied math text?

Is the state university at all competitive? What does he want to study long term?

Stats will look better for college, but if he's planning on a path that doesn't require calc and your state university overwhelmingly accepts all students, then it may not matter much and you can just do whatever you like for that final credit.

• Like 1

Well, he actually says he doesn’t want to go to state U, but it is pretty competitive. We have tried to avoid closing that door, (so we were thinking about stats )but the time may be coming to do so. He says he wants to take auto mechanics at the tech school., or music, or culinary, or……Our state only recently added “applied mathematics concepts” as an approved 4th year math. The state has a list of standards for this course, but no suggested textbooks. 

If some of those programs are at your local CC, I'd do math there. Kill two birds with one stone. Most associate degrees - even the applied ones - have some sort of math requirement. Let him go do the math requirement for auto mechanics.

• Like 1

I would also suggest Dual Enrollment.   One DD used the local CC for Stats and College Algebra, then did Calc 1 once she got to 4-year. My current one is doing the ASU Universal Learner College Algebra class.  Its all online and self-paced.  Shes actually planning to finish it over the summer.