Menu

Is apologia biology honors?

This new apologia biology book has been a huge time commitment and my two oldest have found it to be a very difficult class. I’m not sure if I should call this an honors class or not. It seems to be more than the biology class I took I high school but that was ages ago. 

Any thoughts? Thanks! 

FWIW, I had a mom in my co-op with her high school son doing Apologia Biology while her younger 8th grade son was studying Shepherd Life Science with my son. Shepherd Life Science taught as a Honors class was more challenging than Apologia was in her opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2022 at 12:51 AM, thewellerman said:

I just stumbled on this question and wanted to double check what you mean by "new" apologia biology.  Is there a new high school biology from them that is substantially more difficult than a previous version? 

I believe this edition came out last year. 

This is our first time doing biology so I am not sure if it is more difficult personally. Other parents who have used the older edition said this one was substantially more difficult. 

I was just looking for some additional options. 

Edited by Jenkins
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I should clarify that my point is more that perhaps the old Apologia biology scope and sequence was perhaps not quite up there in rigor. So asking if it should be honors seems like the question should be whether or not it is has sufficient rigor for that level as compared to other honors level type bio coursework. However, that is just a wondering aloud.