Jump to content

Menu

Do we believe this person actually graduated from Stanford U?


Recommended Posts

I was just looking for a Rover dog sitter, and I came across this gem. Either this person absolutely did NOT graduate from Stanford, or he wasted his money and learned nothing about writing. Not trying to be unkind or vilify him, but, boy howdy does my 12-year old with an SLD in written expression write better than that! 😅

F02261F9-2838-432A-B018-B44144149F69.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Attending Stanford is more about money than anything else.  🤷‍♀️  I'm not saying there aren't very bright and deserving students there.  There are also plenty of wealthy and connected students there.  17% of students at Stanford are from families with annual income over $630K a year (the 1%), and 66% are from the top 20%.  I know top 20 grads working for people who went to directional state schools, so I don't find this super odd at all.  I mean they may be lying too, who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.   The grammar on this ad is quite poor lol!  But it also reads like a young person typing on a phone.  

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/stanford-university

The thing I do find funny about this is the inclusion on  rover.com ad.  Looking for Stanford loyalists?  I'm sure there is some percentage of the population that would find this a draw actually (oh, must come from a GOOD family).  But I can't imagine Stanford actually prepares you for pet care better than most other educational or employment settings.  😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, catz said:

The thing I do find funny about this is the inclusion on  rover.com ad.  Looking for Stanford loyalists?  I'm sure there is some percentage of the population that would find this a draw actually (oh, must come from a GOOD family).  But I can't imagine Stanford actually prepares you for pet care better than most other educational or employment settings.  😂

I totally agree! All I care about is whether you will let my 15-year old Chiwenie sleep in bed with you and tell him what a smart, pretty boy he is about 20 times a day! 

005348D3-0E7E-42C1-8D18-B295FB98AB3E.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know someone with a PhD who is an amazing award-winning writer who can absolutely format anything correctly... who would totally write like this if posting a quick ad on social media. So... I don't make any assumptions. Context and writing. This person understands it fine.

That said, the name dropping of Stanford in a "I'm bumming around and just want to watch pets for now" ad is utterly absurd.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, fourisenough said:

I totally agree! All I care about is whether you will let my 15-year old Chiwenie sleep in bed with you and tell him what a smart, pretty boy he is about 20 times a day! 

005348D3-0E7E-42C1-8D18-B295FB98AB3E.jpeg

Ermagerd, SO CUTE!  I'm totally qualified, BTW.  "Who's a good boy??"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a similar vein, I was watching a livestream on collegevine. It was a live essay review, and the essay was so bad I couldn't believe it.

After a few sentences, and the reviewer admirably offering corrections, I thought this couldn't possilby be real.  It had to be some sort of prank.

It was funny in a sad kind of way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, JD1 said:

In a similar vein, I was watching a livestream on collegevine. It was a live essay review, and the essay was so bad I couldn't believe it.

After a few sentences, and the reviewer admirably offering corrections, I thought this couldn't possilby be real.  It had to be some sort of prank.

It was funny in a sad kind of way.

I’ve seen a few essays like that— one recently from a friend’s daughter who just graduated from undergrad and needed me to edit her personal statement for her 2nd degree BSN application to the same school. When reading it, I looked around for the candid camera like I was being ‘punked’. It was that bad. And she got into the program, so what do I know?! 

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In college a place I worked had someone apply for a sales job that said he graduated from one of the big Kansas schools.    Something seemed odd during the interview and he was asked to read the newspaper.  He couldn't.    They looked into it and he really did get a BA.   He was an athlete.    And he couldn't read!     
He needed to be able to read the scripts they'd prepared and do simple addition and subtraction and fill out an order form.   Yet a BA from Kansas didn't prepare him for that.   The manager really wouldn't have cared if someone didn't have more than that.   He grew up on the streets in a war-torn country and didn't even take even the standard deduction on his income taxes because he was grateful for the chances the America gave him.   I don't think he had the equivalent of a HS degree.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...