Menu

Deciding about 4th grade

Trivium Academy

I typically buy the next year's curricula right after Christmas, usually with gift money. I'm starting college in February, I'm working nights and weekends and although I do have a set amount of time during the day to homeschool 9-2:30pm, I feel I should streamline as much as possible.

I don't have many to talk to about this, esp. not anyone who knows what in the world I'm talking about when it comes to curricula so I thought I'd post this here and see if anyone can provide thoughts.

Planned for next year:

Bible- Explorer's Bible Study Discovery Level: History of Israel*

Math- Math U See Gamma/Delta with Math on the Level

(Math U See is my safety net although I do wish to do Math on the Level only)

Spelling- Simply Spelling (copywork & dictation)

LA- Intermediate Language Lessons*, Writing Aids

Poetry Memorization- The Harp and Laurel Wreath*

Informal Logic- Building Critical Thinking Skills 1*

Latin- Latina Christiana I with DVDs

History- TOG Year 4 with Evaluations and MapAids

Science- General Science (Inventions, Milestones of Science, etc.)

Art- Artistic Pursuits K-3, Book 3 Modern*

Music- 4 composers* and instrument lessons (piano)

I put a * by things I think could be dropped or substituted in some way. If I had to trim down to the essentials. It would be:

Math
- Math U See Gamma/Delta with Math on the Level

Spelling
- Simply Spelling (copywork & dictation)

LA
- Writing Aids

Latin
- Latina Christiana I with DVDs

History
- TOG Year 4 with Evaluations and MapAids

Science
- General Science (Inventions, Milestones of Science, etc.)

Music
- instrument lessons (piano)

Although I'd hate to do it, I could eliminate ILL from our LA and use Writing Aids and Simply Spelling only. ILL is a little more open and go than Writing Aids is, but Writing Aids has much more teacher helps. In fact I could milk TOG for all it's worth and cover a lot of subjects.

For poetry memorization, we could just review all the poems we've done so far and work on 1 poem a month instead of a new poem every 2-3 weeks.

I could drop Artistic Pursuits and just allow art projects with TOG be it for the year, dd could also continue with Draw Squad at her leisure.

I could drop the 4 composers and just let her have piano lessons.

I have to make a purchase decision soon so I can budget for what we'll get. I appreciate anyone's input on the curricula, the life situation will not change but I do hope by the end of 4th grade, we'll be ready to transition to a different situation.

Hi Jessica

You have a lot on your plate. I would streamline a bit--

I would drop Critical Thinking Skills, since your other curriculum can cover this, more naturally.

I would shoot for a poem a month. Perhaps record it for dd to listen to on an MP3 or cassette player, if she is at all auditory, and have her copy it the first day so she can read along with her tape. That frees you for her memory work period.

I'd just play the music of the composers you want dd to be familiar with, and maybe just read a quick blurb about them--no stress, no "product" for dd to make, just let her live with the music for a time, and plan to go deeper in the logic stage. (We did Music History as a high school elective, and it would have been nice if ds had at least a passing familiarity with the composers' works previous to his studying them in depth. )

I'd nix Artistic Pursuits since she is enjoying Draw Squad, and just pick that up at the next level. She can still get the art experience thru museum field trips, art projects related to history, and her nature journal (I assume you are still doing nature walks).

I am not familiar or comfortable with Math on the Level. I need more structure than that program offers. Adding in MUS seems like a lot, but you can judge that. At least MUS has excellent resale value, so you really can't go wrong if you change your mind.

I'd absolutely stick with Explorer's Bible Study. I have the Luke/Acts one for dd, and I'm excited to get into it with her. It doesn't seem to take long to use, and I think it's one of the perks of homeschooling, to be able to add in the spiritual element. Keep that training strong, as she's going to need a close relationship with the Lord with all the changes that may be coming in her life--and familiarity with how he's been faithful to those who love him will be a lifeline for her.

Make everything easy on yourself, Dear One.

Are you going to have Danny at home? I know you wanted him home for K, but I also know he's doing well at Monti school--can you go half-day with him, or is it all day? I also know it would cut expense to pull him. I'd love to know what you decide.

Hang in there. I'm still praying for you, and for circumstances to change for you. You are dear to me.

I think your schedule is very well thought out, but it sounds like you would like to try *not* to make those cuts. I have no experience under my belt, but if I were faced with a tight schedule like that I would look into setting up her schedule so a small portion of it could be completed while I was at work/school, just so we would have more time together during the day to have fun as a family/get out of the house.

Things like the bible study (she could read on her own and pick a couple questions to answer and discuss with you the next day) and science (some independent reading and use videos to teach this - it seems like a subject that could rely heavily on videos) - although I know you really enjoy doing the science part. Also, have you seen these composer cds (scroll down a bit on the page)? They tell a story about the composer and his/her music, and then play a selection. This could also be done independently. Even if you could free up just an hour a day while you're home I think it could make a big difference.

:grouphug: Sounds like it's going to be a wild year, but if anyone can do it, you can. I'll be praying for you as you make all of these decisions.

Jessica,

I wouldn't change a thing as for as curriculum. I definitely agree with doing MUS. We are using that also instead of my Living Math tweaking deal. I needed the guidance and open/go format of MUS for our new schedule. I would also do the Bible Study orally if you're not already. I have successfully used EBS with my oldest for several years and tried to use it with my younger dc last year without the same success, unfortunately. It took too much time from our days. We have Bible lessons incorporated with our MFW curriculum now so it's much easier but I would definitely go with MUS and do the Bible orally.

We have had changes to our schedule also and things are being finalized in the upcoming week but I have now an open and go format. I need things that are less prep and more open and go without taking away from our educational goals at the same time.

I pray you find what works for you.:grouphug:

I think using MUS along with MOTL could work well for you. It gives you some structured no-prep math time that Camille can work with on her own. I have been using MUS with my boys and it does not fill a school year so I think it would work well alongside MOTL where you are adding in other topics.

The rest of the schedule looks fairly doable to me in the time frame you give, depending on how much time Camille works independently and how much time Danny will require of you. I balance kids that are the same age as Danny and Camille with one in between that age group and a 2yo and I"m done most days by 2 as well (although my oldest frequently continues working on projects on his own after that time).

If I were to cut anything it would be to go down to a poem per month and reduce the LA since you're duplicating between TOG LA and ILL.

Jessica, I'm saying this with the idea of keeping it as simple for you as possible, keeping time wasting to a bare minimum.

With that in mind... 4th grade is a good time to encourage more independence in learning. That's our goal for this year (we're in 4th now). If ILL is more "open and go," then that's what I'd lean towards. Also, if you can streamline subjects that are duplicated elsewhere, then I'd also lean towards that. And, if I had something comprehensive like TOG on hand, I would DEFINITELY "milk it for all its worth." :D That would be a big money and time saver for you.

I'm not familiar with TOG, but if it has teacher helps/prompts, it might be worth your while to show your dd how she can use those herself. If her reading is fairly strong, it shouldn't be a problem. We use Oak Meadow 4, which is written more to the teacher, but I have ds read the lesson material, read the activities, and choose the ones he wants. I only step in if I feel he's trying to shirk off of any challenging activities/assignments. Generally, though, I find that because I expect a fair work ethic from him, that is what he gives me (generally -- because we all have our 'off' days).

Math -- is Math on the Level a video instructed program? I know that MUS is, and that can be a good (somewhat)independent subject. I don't know about doubling math programs, though. I'm not a big fan of it, but if you feel that is what you prefer and need, then keep both.

Art -- we use AP as a family, but there have been many times that I could not be there, and ds had done lessons by himself. If the interest was also there, I would keep it just for that factor alone. Does your dd really enjoy the art lessons? If so, think about keeping that.

Music -- my piano teachers always made us learn a bit about the composers we were playing. Does your teacher do that, too? If so, then I'd drop composer study.

That's just my perspective, but I hope it was somewhat helpful.

I've no comments on curriculum, but given your limited time, an idea.

In the effort to "get it all done" daily and tick of a full schedue, we were not giving some subjects the time they deserve. What has worked is to go onto a rotating schedule, taking as much time as a task may do to finish it properly before moving onto the next thing. We start the day with whatever comes next in the rotation. I think some call it loop scheduling. By doing this, you don't have to cut back on anything.

My personal opinion, from the limited amount I know about your situation, is to go with the "less is more" idea. Even your streamlined list covers quite a lot of ground, so I would go with that. You seem to be in a place of huge transition right now, and it will affect both you and your kids, so I'd say keep it as simple as possible.

Tara

Firts, hugs. It sounds like there are so many difficulat decisions to make and things to juggle. I'll be praying for extra energy reserves for you!

Your plan for C sounds good, it is Danny that concerns me. Before this year, my younger DS was at preschool part time, and I got lots of uninterrupted time with my older DS, who thrives on one-on-one teacher time. This year, DS5 is home with us, and he is a fireball (sound like anyone you know? :)). He actually does great with his own schoolwork, very focused, but unfortuantely is done long before DS8, who still needs a lot of my time. I continue struggling to keep DS5 constuctively engaged while DS8 and I work on our teacher-intensive stuff. I guess I would say, be ready for a lot more interruptions.

Very best wishes!

Are you going to have Danny at home? I know you wanted him home for K, but I also know he's doing well at Monti school--can you go half-day with him, or is it all day? I also know it would cut expense to pull him. I'd love to know what you decide.

He's at Montessori which we don't pay for, FIL does so it's not a drain on us. Sending him to public school K is another decision I have to make. A lot is doing to depend on some testing he's recently undergone, when I get the results, I'll be better able to decide. I'm going to hold off on that decision as long as possible. D's gone from 9-3 Mon-Thurs and it's been a blessing, the house is clean, lessons get done and then he comes home and we can all have a little bit of fun (unless I have to work).

I'm okay and taking care of myself. You're so sweet Chris, you're dear to me too.

If you and your DD will enjoy the streamlined schedule then do that one. Don't drop down to the bare minimum and cause all schooolwork to be drudgery-- for either of you. I dropped Geography for a while b/c we just didn't have time (so I thought). It was a big mistake. Neither of us were enjoying homeschool, we were just drudging through it.

After all your thoughtful posts and insights, I think I have something that will work for us and keep the joy without feeling like I'm cutting us too short.

Math- Math U See Gamma/Delta with Math on the Level (30 min)

Spelling- Simply Spelling (15 min)

LA- ILL with Writing Aids' support (up to 30 min)

Latin- Latina Christiana I with DVDs (up to 30 min)

History- TOG Year 4 with Evaluations and MapAids (up to 30 min daily)

Science- General Science (Inventions, Milestones of Science, etc.) (up to 30 min daily)

Music- instrument lessons (piano) (1 lesson a week and 15 min of practice daily)

Poetry Memorization- cutting down to one poem a month (5-10 min daily)

Time spent total approx. 2-3 hrs.

If ds4 will be at home for K:

ABeCeDarian (only thing I need to buy)

Math on the Level

Handwriting

Galloping the Globe

To be limited to 1-1.5 hour of work each day

So homeschooling can be done with both of them in about 4 hours a day, dd8 will have independent work to do while I work with ds4 (they will be a year older next year) and she can do art, informal logic and other things as she pleases or in her free time. It would be nice if I could teach them simultaneously but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

I'll probably have to do phonics with ds then do Latin with dd, giving him a play break.

Math together, possibly if not I can do math with ds while dd does her independent reading or piano practice.

Handwriting with ds while dd completes her ILL lesson

Galloping the Globe as a family type activity after dd's history and science work has been completed.

Somehow it seems more manageable but I am just thinking aloud as I type. If I did put ds in public school for K, I would have more uninterrupted time for my college work. With him home, I don't know how I'd get that time. If he did go to school, we could still do Galloping the Globe as a family, with bedtime readings.

I think his maturity level at the end of the year, in June or July will be a major determining factor. Let's be honest, it's also dependent on how I can juggle college, homeschooling and part-time work with just dd8 plus maintaining consistent discipline.

Thanks for letting me talk about this! :)