Menu

Hair color review - Madison Reed. Fabulous!

Ginevra

I don’t know if anyone here *needs* a hair color review, but I’ve  got one for ya. A few years ago (yes, years), a friend and member here, @Nicholas_mom, recommended I try Madison Reed hair color. I hesitated mostly because it takes 2-3 kits of regular hair color to do my hair, and MR is expensive. (Not as expensive as professional salon, though. I think it’s $20ish per box. I bought two kits a couple months ago and I have forgotten exactly.) 

Well, I tried it today. And I LOVE this hair color! For home use, it’s outstanding. The past few times I’ve colored my hair at home, some greys popped right back in a week or two. But the coverage of MR is *really* good. The consistency is thicker, too, so it stays where I put it. 

Very happy with Madison Reed! 

06E9C3C3-37F0-4D00-BA8F-50C68C833C31.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eos said:

Great hair color yes, but can you also tell us your skin care secrets?? Or are you really just 25 and your kids are actually toddlers?

Wow, it looks gorgeous!  Love the color and the style.  I agree about your skin, too.  I want hair and skin tips, please!  

Great job! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eos said:

Great hair color yes, but can you also tell us your skin care secrets?? Or are you really just 25 and your kids are actually toddlers?

Aww, shucks! Thank you. I don’t really have any skincare secrets. I never liked “laying out” in the sun like other women did in the 70s and 80s. It always made me feel sick and dizzy to roast in the sun. And I have worn a simple moisturizer with SPF for decades. I think protection from the sun is the main thing. I also wear sunglasses, so, not so much squinting. I have fit-over sunglasses because I wear glasses daily. 
🙂

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Wow, it looks gorgeous!  Love the color and the style.  I agree about your skin, too.  I want hair and skin tips, please!  

Great job! 

Thank you. I don’t think I have hair tips either. I don’t use very expensive shampoo. I use HASK, which you can get anywhere. The Madison Reed hair color, as I mentioned, is expensive, comparatively speaking. It’s clearly superior, though. 

i only wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week; I only do the third if I get sweaty or something. Mid-week, I wash it at night, wrap it in a head turban and go to bed with it damp. I think this helps reduce exposure to a hot hair dryer. On thé week-end, I will also wrap it in a turban unless I have to style it to go somewhere. (Although I truthfully *have* driven to Chick-Fil-A in a turban to pick my son up from work. If you can’t embarrass your teens once in a while, are you even a mom?) 

• Haha 4

It looks beautiful! Did you do a color consult with them or send pics, or did you choose your own color?

I’ve been eyeing them lately. I have not had my natural hair color as an adult, ever, till now. However, I have also never colored it myself! Salon girl here. I have no idea how to go about choosing a color. (My last pre-Covid color was platinum, and that’s not something I will attempt at home! I need to go darker, but not too dark.) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spryte said:

It looks beautiful! Did you do a color consult with them or send pics, or did you choose your own color?

I’ve been eyeing them lately. I have not had my natural hair color as an adult, ever, till now. However, I have also never colored it myself! Salon girl here. I have no idea how to go about choosing a color. (My last pre-Covid color was platinum, and that’s not something I will attempt at home! I need to go darker, but not too dark.) 

I didn’t. I have colored it before with grocery store color, so I just picked something in the same color tone. I was pretty scared to try a different one, though. Consulting would not be a bad idea. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

What color is that? That looks very close to my natural color (aside from the grays!) I’ve never had a desire to color my hair but after some recent stressful events, I’m feeling the need for a spruce-up!

DF171891-319F-4083-B314-D65A921B654E.jpeg

• Like 2

I think they do have their own website and you can probably order it there, but I got it at Ulta beauty. I don’t know if they sell it on Amazon or not. 

• Thanks 1

What spf  moisturizer do you use? I recently started to use an spf every day. Wish I had started sooner. 

I’ve tried several and can’t use them for one reason or other. One gave me hives. Most are so slippery and don’t dry down, so it slides into my eyes during the day. I finally found one that I can actually use (and like). It’s Badger in the tin, which, of course, is not an spf moisturizer. It’s actually just a sunblock. 

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

What spf  moisturizer do you use? I recently started to use an spf every day. Wish I had started sooner. 

I’ve tried several and can’t use them for one reason or other. One gave me hives. Most are so slippery and don’t dry down, so it slides into my eyes during the day. I finally found one that I can actually use (and like). It’s Badger in the tin, which, of course, is not an spf moisturizer. It’s actually just a sunblock. 

Mineral sunscreen is my favorite. It dries to a nice powdery, non-greasy finish.

Bare Republic Mineral Face Sunscreen is my favorite brand, but most mineral sunscreens would work. 

• Thanks 1