Menu

College options available to still apply for next fall

Farrar posted this in her Facebook group:

https://www.nacacnet.org/news--publications/Research/openings/?fbclid=IwAR34GaZDj_3JteFVKMhhvVJDOWt--21JGShovgB042cziXTwsvZKb_-59kk

There are some decent options in my state (at least one with automatic merit).

ETA. The university I work for is not on this list and I know they are still taking applications. All the big scholarships have been awarded, but I know financial aid still has some options for good students. So I guess if there's a school a student is interested in, it would be worth a phone call.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I looked at my state and there are only four listed and I have a strong feeling that some others I’m familiar with are still taking students. If I had a child who still was looking wouldn’t hesitate to ask if there was someplace we thought might work. 

• Like 3

The list is always changing. It doesn't include schools that are rolling applications or have really late deadlines anyway, which is already a lot of schools. If a school doesn't inform NACAC it won't be listed, so it's only as good as communication with NACAC.

• Like 1

So, there's literally like 200 schools on that list. Some are amazing, others less so. I'm not really sure what to say to this. I'm hardly endorsing the whole list. It's like any other list. Do your research. If a school has issues with crime, then often their Clery report can help you understand the context.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One of the things that I think people don't understand about colleges is just how many wonderful schools there are out there that give great aid and are really accessible. Just scrolling through the that list, some that stand out to me are App State, Goucher, Hampshire, UNCA, Redlands... I know that for students who are using this list because none of their original schools worked out, they may have applied to ivy league or super selective flagships and this may seem disappointing. But there are schools and options out there.

• Like 4

I think it serves as a reminder that as often as we hear about and discuss all the highly rejective schools and the big names in great locations and all the exhausting and expensive applications and hoops to be jumped through- the fact remains that there are many schools that will be happy to take your student and will provide a nice experience and a usable degree. And for as many students and parents spend months (years!) fretting over and planning college selection and applications, there are thousands of students that wake up one day, apply to a school that afternoon, and are enrolled within a few days. 

It is not the way my family did it but it is a way and there are many success stories that start that way too. 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I looked at my state and there are only four listed and I have a strong feeling that some others I’m familiar with are still taking students. If I had a child who still was looking wouldn’t hesitate to ask if there was someplace we thought might work. 

I would agree. Just based on the schools listed, I can think of about a dozen more that probably are. 

Having said that, there's also one on the list in my state where I would be shocked if an application now led to any significant aid unless you're Pell grant eligible. I can see them taking late apps to try to get some of the kids who have been turned down by big names, but they're pretty clear about most of their merit aid going in ED/EA 1. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

I would agree. Just based on the schools listed, I can think of about a dozen more that probably are. 

Having said that, there's also one on the list in my state where I would be shocked if an application now led to any significant aid unless you're Pell grant eligible. I can see them taking late apps to try to get some of the kids who have been turned down by big names, but they're pretty clear about most of their merit aid going in ED/EA 1. 

Agreed! They are definitely looking to pick up full pay kids disappointed by the bigger names. Hang around long enough you learn the game 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2