Menu

Financial aid isn't what it once was...

Brittany1116

1 hour ago, Hoggirl said:

I will also add that she is very happy he applied as soon as he could to USF as some classmates who applied later (with better stats) were not accepted.  Her son was admitted to Summer B, not fall.  That is another tactic they use - admitting to a summer session or even for spring enrollment. Additionally, I believe all UF students are also now required to take a certain number of hours during summers at some point during their tenure there. 

I'm not in FL so I'm not well versed in all things FL but my ds who went to USF had to take 9 hours of summer credits and I was under the impression that was for all public universities in FL. It was a pain but he was able to use his scholarship and he was awarded financial aid for summer hours. (Many or most schools do not extend scholarships and financial aid to summer school courses so we felt this was generous). He was in a hurry to finish so he wanted summer school so it worked out for him. With dual enrollment transfer credit and summer school he got out in 2.5 years (even having to drop and retake a course...more than once).

My ds was a 2018 high school grad and when we visited admissions did say to apply early and that it would get harder to get in as the year went on. Another note- they took whatever was on the transcript at face value as I believe alot of these huge universities do. So if you did not weight your classes or designate them as honors it would hurt your student. One parent asked the question that her child was in a private school that didn't designate honors and the admissions official was kind of like "that's too bad, we just go by what is on the transcript. We arent taking the time to investigate." 

There was no difficulty as an out of state homeschooler. It was a very straight forward numbers game as to what the GPA was and what the ACT score was = automatic scholarship and honors college admission. For all the schools that claim holistic admissions and time people put into course descriptions, etc. this is an example of a school that you need to make sure all the numbers are clearly up front and easy to read on a quick pass read of an application. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I'm not in FL so I'm not well versed in all things FL but my ds who went to USF had to take 9 hours of summer credits and I was under the impression that was for all public universities in FL. It was a pain but he was able to use his scholarship and he was awarded financial aid for summer hours. (Many or most schools do not extend scholarships and financial aid to summer school courses so we felt this was generous). He was in a hurry to finish so he wanted summer school so it worked out for him. With dual enrollment transfer credit and summer school he got out in 2.5 years (even having to drop and retake a course...more than once).

My ds was a 2018 high school grad and when we visited admissions did say to apply early and that it would get harder to get in as the year went on. Another note- they took whatever was on the transcript at face value as I believe alot of these huge universities do. So if you did not weight your classes or designate them as honors it would hurt your student. One parent asked the question that her child was in a private school that didn't designate honors and the admissions official was kind of like "that's too bad, we just go by what is on the transcript. We arent taking the time to investigate." 

There was no difficulty as an out of state homeschooler. It was a very straight forward numbers game as to what the GPA was and what the ACT score was = automatic scholarship and honors college admission. For all the schools that claim holistic admissions and time people put into course descriptions, etc. this is an example of a school that you need to make sure all the numbers are clearly up front and easy to read on a quick pass read of an application. 

Oh, yes.  I am sorry I was unclear.  Yes, on the required summer hours, though they may be requiring even more than that now - not sure??  I just meant that one thing that sometimes happens is that students don’t necessarily get to start when they want to. My friend’s son  was admitted for Summer B.  So, he doesn’t have the option of starting in the fall even though that’s what he wanted. He’s not happy about it because he would prefer a longer summer, but a fall start was not offered to him.

Edit:  Googled. It’s still nine summer hours. 

Edited by Hoggirl

If you want a UF diploma and can't get in to the physical campus, consider going online. Their online program is not separate from the university, you get the same degree (unlike Penn State, U of MD, Purdue, etc.)

The online classes are insanely inexpensive for in-state students, too. The big negative is the limited number of majors. If your student is okay with going to school online or starting at a CC and finishing online, this is not a bad option. If your student is looking at the military, I think UF is the best online option available if they have a major you want.

ETA: If you live in the Gainesville area and pay additional fees, you can access on campus services including tickets to their football games. If you don't live in Gainesville you don't have to pay those fees, making UF online an even better bargain.

Edited by chiguirre