Menu

LOE Foundations: How'd it go if you used A-D (or B-D)?

alpinegrace

Hey there, specifically looking for families that have used Logic of English Foundations through level D in particular.

How has your experience been in terms of their reading and spelling capabilities? Were your kids capable of spelling most all of the words in level D by the end? Were they fluent readers? And what grade did you finish level D? 

Thanks!

LOE Foundations was an excellent experience for us. We especially appreciated how hands-on it was & how each aspect (reading, handwriting, etc) could be customized to the child you were working with. My son was a very motivated early reader; he finished the series just before turning 6. 

The approach to spelling was the one aspect I was not fond of; we moved to AAS after completing Foundations & that has suited my son much better. Because both programs teach all phonogram sounds, the transition was very smooth.

• Like 1

Thank you for the response!

I did email their customer service as I was curious about the expectations for the student in regards to spelling. I did feel that the spelling was very advanced for the grade level most people would use this program with. Which would probably mean the average student wouldn’t retain that info. They did clarify that students are not expected to remember how to spell all of the spelling words by the end of the books, but should just be attempting to spell words phonetically. 

I’ve used AAS with my oldest and I agree, that seems to work well. I was curious if Foundations would sort of knock everything out in one fell swoop for my younger kiddos, but the spelling part is giving me pause.

Logic of English Foundations was one of the BEST programs I have ever come across.   (I say this as a long time homeschooler, with three dyslexic children....who has used or is at least very familiar with just about every language arts program known to mankind.).  We used A-C and then stopped because my son was reading so well.   (After C, every phonogram in English will be well mastered!)  Spelling mastery is not the goal of LOE foundations:  Your child will learn how to spell (in general) with LOE foundations.  However, they don't suggest you insist on spelling mastery until the child has been reading for at least a year or two.   So in foundations, they will learn many spelling words and how to segment any word into its individual phonograms.     They will not necessarily memorize which words with the long /ē/ spelled ee or ea or e_e or I or y, etc. etc.  That comes with LOE Essentials.

Speaking of LOE essentials, we moved on to that after finishing LOE A-C.....and I just could not make it work for some reason. (I can't even articulate what I don't like about it, but it just doesn't work well for my personality.).   I've picked it up and tried to use it three different times this year alone, but then I quit because I can't bring myself to use it for more than 4-5 weeks. 

Edited by TheAttachedMama

• 1 year later...

Ok! So TheAttachedMama - what did you switch to?  We, too, have loved LOE Foundations. But going to LOE Essentials for 3rd looks too complicated!  I don’t know that LA should be that complex and time consuming yet?!  

We finished D at the beginning of 1st and went straight to reading chapter books. He did previously have Montessori experience with phonics. We did D a little weird based on when I could get the books from the library. We also used the AAR readers for extra reading. His spelling is mostly on point and keeps improving, from what I remember he did well with the spelling, though I wasn’t expecting mastery. He loved LOE, it was a fun program.

We have worked all the way from Level A through the middle of Level D. The first three levels have worked fantastically for us. I am convinced my little one (auditory working memory differences, possibly APD?) wouldn’t be reading if it wasn’t for this stellar curriculum. We made it to the middle of Level D in first grade, that’s however when I decided to stop and switch since the spelling seemed way advanced and I would rather focus on the basics first. My friends with the same age group had similar feelings. Since a lot of people go through Level D in second grade, I decided to wait. We will finish the readers mentioned but will probably skip the spelling and grammar. I don’t plan to continue with LoE but can highly recommend Foundations Level A-C

On 6/22/2023 at 7:30 AM, Elle said:

Ok! So TheAttachedMama - what did you switch to?  We, too, have loved LOE Foundations. But going to LOE Essentials for 3rd looks too complicated!  I don’t know that LA should be that complex and time consuming yet?!  

Sorry! I am just now seeing this!

So---Funny you should ask about what I ended up switching too.  It is sort of a long story.   😉

We used a lot of different things:   I used AAS for a bit that year.   I used "How to Teach Spelling" for a bit.    For grammar and composition,  I used FLL and WWE for a bit.  I also used English Lesson through Literature for a bit.  (I am a long time homeschooling mama, so I have a lot of these books sitting on my shelves.  I am very familiar with them because I used them with previous children.  So I would often pick them up and try them for a few weeks when language arts wasn't going well thinking that I just needed to find "the right" curriculum).  I was basically floundering, and I was feeling very frustrating because we were working hard but not making much progress because I wasn't sticking with anything!  I knew I was making a rookie homeschooling mistake.  

Then, one day, I was posting on LOE Facebook page about how much I loved LOE foundations but I didn't like LOE Essentials.   One of the lovely mother's there asked me what specifically I didn't like about LOE Essentials.   I wasn't able to articulate what it was that I didn't like.   I just had this vague feeling that I didn't like teaching it.    She gently encouraged me to give it a try and get further in the book before I decided that I didn't like it.   She said that there was a pretty steep learning curve for the parent when it comes to the switch between foundations and essentials.   So I decided to follow her advice:  I picked up Essentials and promised myself I would do one section a day for 7 weeks straight (so basically make it through the entire first book) and then I would re-evalutate.     The result?   I decided that I love LOE essentials.   Is it perfect?  No, I dislike how it combines levels A, B, and C into one book.    I think that makes the teacher's manual too long and overly complicated.    I also skip most of the composition activities because I do not like those.    I plan to supplement with IEW or another composition program once my student is spelling easier.   I also find that I sometimes have to add in some extra review/spelling practice for memorizing things where there aren't rules in English.  (Like is the long E sound spelled with "ee" or "ea" or e with a silent e, etc.)   I do this very naturally by giving my son hints when he is writing in his own time.  (He likes to keep a diary and write stories/books for enjoyment.)