Menu

CC and State College concurrent enrollment

Aloha2U

From those with this experience... besides cost, what were the pros and cons to doing this as a degree seeking student, especially when both offer the same AAS, but just do it a little differently? 

Also, If the SC accepts a math CLEP (though the CC does not), then (in your experience) will that math credit transfer from the SC (transcript) to the CC?

One possible con—If your student is eligible for financial aid, enrolling at multiple institutions in the same semester will mess that up. My dd needed classes at two different schools one semester, and you can only accept the Pell Grant at one school, and it will only apply to the hours your student takes at that school. 

The school at which the student is classified as degree-seeking (the SC, I presume), and the CC, should each have policies on their websites regarding transient students. Well, that is the term in Georgia anyway; maybe not everywhere. The SC typically has to give permission for the student to take a class at another school as a condition of credit's being granted, and the CC will require that permission. Transient students do not have to go through the regular admission process.

When one of my daughters did it, she was eligible at the in-state school for our state-funded scholarship (HOPE in Georgia) because she was not using it anywhere else.

As for whether the CC will accept CLEP, I assume you mean for placement purposes? If so, probably. CCs around here don't have much in the way of restrictions on who can take what, especially for transient students. If your sending school okays it, and you are willing to pay for it, you can take anything.

Just realized I did not actually answer the pros/cons part of the question. One of my kids was a transient student at a local 4-year school one summer that she spent at home from her out-of-state 4-year school. She just needed to knock out a class to make room in her schedule for practice (she was an athlete). A lot of colleges actively solicit transient students for summer classes, so it was easy to arrange with the receiving school. One tip we received was that the process at the sending college can take a while. She was advised to start the ball rolling in January. One modest "con" is that when she applied to grad school, she needed transcripts from 3 different colleges. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things.

Does the student plan to be a degree-seeking student at the CC or at the State College?

The pros/cons will vary greatly depending upon the exact situation.  Is it one class taken at the CC and a full-time workload at State College?  Some things that may come into play:  student needs to pay for parking at both campuses; student fees (in addition to tuition) at two schools; school calendars may not coincide as far as days of breaks/holidays; will have to check emails and a learning management system from two schools; final exam calendars could be such that even though class meeting times do not overlap during the semester, final exams overlap; travel time between campuses must be considered; if the course at the non-degree seeking school is needed as a pre-req for a class the following semester at State College student may not be able to register for the class until a transcript is received.