Menu

Favorite musical soundtracks

Teaching3bears

I admit it...I love the Annie soundtrack with Aileen Quinn as Annie. Not every day, you know, but once in a while it does me good to belt out, "The sun will come out, tomorrow..." ☀️ 

The Sound of Music, of course. "Do, a deer, a female deer..."

• Like 6

Hamilton
The Book of Mormon
Come From Away
Mamma Mia
Les Mis
Phantom of the Opera
Camelot
West Side Story
Fiddler on the Roof

Before we moved to Florida we lived in NJ about 15 minutes from NYC. My mother and her friends used to go to Broadway plays often back when they were affordable. Musicals were her favorite. The oldest ones on my list (the last three) are there because she bought the soundtrack albums and I grew up listening to them.

Sound of Music
Oliver
Lion King
Les Mis
Mary Poppins

Greatest Showman (is this a musical or just a movie?)

I enjoy watching Hamilton, but don’t find it sing-along-y.

Lots of shows have a couple of standout songs while the others are just good.

What does the Hive think of Dear Evan Hansen and Hadestown? We will likely see the latter this fall. 

Edited by ScoutTN

Once More With Feeling (musical espisode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) I listen to it anytime I'm angry cleaning, which has been a lot recently.

@ScoutTNWe just saw Hadestown a few weeks ago.  I liked the music a lot, minus one song which sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Joseph by Andrew Lloyd Webber 👍

These songs get into my head so often - just reading this post I'm hearing JACOB, JACOB AND SONS

Edited by Eos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Once More With Feeling (musical espisode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) I listen to it anytime I'm angry cleaning, which has been a lot recently.

@ScoutTNWe just saw Hadestown a few weeks ago.  I liked the music a lot, minus one song which sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Once More With Feeling was the album that always quieted my oldest when they were fussy as a baby.  

• Like 1

The Secret Garden musical is a nice one (Marsha Norman), with some good songs.

Paris by Jon English, might be hard for you guys to find as it was an Australian/UK effort, but a brilliant rock opera about the Trojan war. 

War of the Worlds (Jeff Wayne), it's really exciting. 

I worked on a college dorm production of The Fantasticks, so I like to sing those songs. I don't know the titles, but I sing When the Moon Was Young and Hear How the Wind Begins to Whisper to my disabled dd (no one appreciates my singing like she does!) I can also do a bit of Sound of Music (Edelweiss and 16 going on 17). I've had a bit of Jesus Christ Superstar going through my head so far this Lent. I like the older stuff best I guess.

• Like 1

I listened to the 1957 original Broadway cast recording of West Side Story for the first time last night. Really good.

Always liked the original WSS film and we re-watched it recently. And we also streamed Spielberg's new one this week, which I think is spectacular.

Also Jesus Christ Superstar (I prefer the Original Concept Album cast).

When I was a kid my maternal grandmother, who knew I liked listening to music, gave me the soundtrack recording of Oklahoma!, which she loved. I must admit when I opened the present my heart sunk. Not my thing. But I owned it and played it, and I came around.

Bill 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like a lot of the ones listed here, but Mean Girls is the one show where I like every song from beginning to end almost equally. It’s not necessarily my all time favorite show (though it is really good and funny) but it’s my go-to for cleaning and driving since I don’t feel the need to skip songs. 

Hadestown

Come from Away

City of Angels (big band jazz sound)

Jesus Christ Superstar

Miss Saigon (sad)

Jekyll and Hyde

American Idiot (Green Day music)

Lizzie (musical about Lizzie Borden; rock and roll style)

Beautiful The Carol King Musical

Waitress

Bonnie and Clyde

Dogfight

Chess

We are primarily a musical soundtrack family.  I love so many.  I keep adding but I will stop here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dd and I listen on long drives and we have mostly listened to ones we’ve seen over the last couple years:

Joseph

Finding Neverland

Cats

Godspell

Jesus Christ Superstar

Newsies (I don’t know why this one is my favorite. It is stupid how much I love this show. I can’t even explain it.)

Hamilton (we only saw the recording on Disney+ but we have tickets for July so we’ll be playing this one more and more). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, teachermom2834 said:

Newsies (I don’t know why this one is my favorite. It is stupid how much I love this show. I can’t even explain it.)

ME TOO! I've decided it's the fact that I came of age with Little Mermaid and Aladdin, so Alan Menken music just feels so right to my soul. Plus the pro shot version is so well done, I feel like I 'know' the show better than a lot of others.

• Like 2

Haven’t see it mentioned yet - Miss Saigon is one of my favorite soundtracks. Also one of my favorite shows, possibly because it was one of my first trips to Broadway and I had no idea how much I was about to be impacted.

I have a special fondness for The Lion King because my kids were in what I consider a TERRIFIC production for our little co-op. Still don’t know how they pulled it off with our small group.  But I hate the live action soundtrack.

Rock of Ages gets a lot of play here. It was better in person.  I don’t listen to the American Idiot soundtrack as much as the album, but I deeply regret not getting to see the show.

Gosh, it depends on my mood. So I rotate. 

Les Mis & Phantom for the drama

Godspell for inspiration (this is one of my favorite full shows)

Dear Evan Hansen for the feels

Hairspray and Come From Away for fun

Hamilton for energy 

Hadestown for a change of pace 

I think West Side Story has beautiful music, but the story is overwhelmingly sad to me, the tragedy overwhelms me.

Now if you are including movie soundtracks I’ll have to think a lot harder. 😂

17 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

What about movie musicals? Do they count?

10 hours ago, Ellie said:

Of course. Why wouldn't they? 🙂

Well then, I'll add:

The Blues Brothers
White Christmas
Singin' in the Rain
Tommy
Fame

More recently:

Bohemian Rhapsody
Rocketman

11 hours ago, littlebug42 said:

I'd love to see this one. I'm hoping it will come to Orlando once Broadway tours start up again. 

An aside - A high school graduation present from my mother was a cassette tape player (they were new and exciting!). Along with the player was my first cassette tape ever - Carole King's Tapestry.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, littlebug42 said:

Hadestown

Come from Away

City of Angels (big band jazz sound)

Jesus Christ Superstar

Miss Saigon (sad)

Jekyll and Hyde

American Idiot (Green Day music)

Lizzie (musical about Lizzie Borden; rock and roll style)

Waitress

Bonnie and Clyde

Dogfight

Chess

We are primarily a musical soundtrack family.  I love so many.  I keep adding but I will stop here. 

Lizzie!

How did I not know about this.  Listening to the soundtrack now.  My dd will love this.  Going to check out a few more of your recommendations.  Thanks for sharing.  Love soundtracks.  

Our favorites have mostly been mentioned:  Hamilton, Oliver, Cats, etc.

One I haven't seen mentioned is one Once Upon a Mattress (the original recording with Carol Burnett). 

11 hours ago, CindyH in NC said:

Lizzie!

How did I not know about this.  Listening to the soundtrack now.  My dd will love this.  Going to check out a few more of your recommendations.  Thanks for sharing.  Love soundtracks.  

Our favorites have mostly been mentioned:  Hamilton, Oliver, Cats, etc.

One I haven't seen mentioned is one Once Upon a Mattress (the original recording with Carol Burnett). 

Glad you like it.  I had the great fortune to see Lizzie done here at a regional theatre a few years ago.  It was so good.  I love sharing my musical theatre love with others.  

I mostly like the musicals I was in as a kid or that my kids have been in. Otherwise I don't care too much about musicals. 

Anne of Green Gables

Brigadoon

Oliver

Aladdin (Broadway version)

Spamalot  (Love this one!!)

I will sing a few songs from musicals but watching the entire show is out 😉 

Jesus Christ Superstar

Les Mis

Chess

Edited by wintermom