Menu

When touring a house you might buy...

Innisfree

Is it acceptable to take pictures? The ones posted online don't show some significant things, and dh won't be able to be there. If we're seriously interested, we'll go back so he can see it. It would be nice to be able to show him things, but I don't want to put people on the spot if it's Just Not Done. The house is still occupied.

4 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

The family that purchased our last house were FaceTiming the realtor (family was in NY and realtor in TX!).

Our house was still occupied (but we had it 'staged' so nothing personal was left out to view).

Based on the posted photos, I think there's a lot of personal stuff there still. Not that we're interested in that...

Staging it is a very sound decision!

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yes, and fwiw, the sellers may be taking audio or video of you if you are in a single consent state. 

This is what I was thinking. More and more people are doing this so I definitely think you taking photos or video as the shoppers is fine.

It is a little weird but the whole process is weird and intrusive. Someone is coming into your home. The inside of your home is posted online for anyone to look at. Yes, it is a bit weird but it is part of the process. 

• Like 3

I think it kind of stops being your home when you put it on the market. Yes, ownership is yours, but access isn't solely yours any longer. All family photos, personal items, and such should be removed off of the premises. You're selling something at that point, and as much as you can stage your home and allow other people to insert themselves mentally into it, the better. 

• Like 4

It is not only acceptable, it is essential.   They can't swap out stuff that needs to stay with the house for cheaper stuff.   If you don't have photos of how it looked, you can't prove that they did.   

My #1 tip of house buying, always talk with the neighbors.   One, you can get an idea of how the neighborhood is.   Two, they know more stuff about the house than you'll be told.   They'll tell the straight scoop.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shawthorne44 said:

It is not only acceptable, it is essential.   They can't swap out stuff that needs to stay with the house for cheaper stuff.   If you don't have photos of how it looked, you can't prove that they did.   

My #1 tip of house buying, always talk with the neighbors.   One, you can get an idea of how the neighborhood is.   Two, they know more stuff about the house than you'll be told.   They'll tell the straight scoop.  

Thanks for this tip. We are contemplating moving closer to my parents and I was wondering about the noise level and safety of the various neighborhoods we are looking at so speaking to neighbors is probably the smart and essential thing to do.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 11:41 AM, Jann in TX said:

The family that purchased our last house were FaceTiming the realtor (family was in NY and realtor in TX!

We bought a house from out of state based on a FaceTime walk through with realtor. (We had been to area previously and looked at other houses, so we knew the area… just not this house.)

• Like 1