Menu

Dad- The Sequel

DawnM

8 hours in the ER yesterday.   OY!

Hospice nurse told us Fri to get him to the ER for scans.   We went Saturday morning.   

CAT scan.   Kidneys are OK!   No reoccurrence of cancer.  That is good news.

However, he is a lumbar fracture!   No wonder he was in such pain!   

They gave him a brace, not sure if he will wear it more than a day, told him to put lidocaine patches on the area, take Tylenol, and sent him home.

I am looking for a lift recliner to buy today and hoping that will help with getting in and out of the chair.   It won't help with accidents as that lift chair takes a while to lift, but we will try it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 19

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

8 hours in the ER yesterday.   OY!

Hospice nurse told us Fri to get him to the ER for scans.   We went Saturday morning.   

CAT scan.   Kidneys are OK!   No reoccurrence of cancer.  That is good news.

However, he is a lumbar fracture!   No wonder he was in such pain!   

They gave him a brace, not sure if he will wear it more than a day, told him to put lidocaine patches on the area, take Tylenol, and sent him home.

I am looking for a lift recliner to buy today and hoping that will help with getting in and out of the chair.   It won't help with accidents as that lift chair takes a while to lift, but we will try it.

We had a lift chair for pur son after the car accident. It was wonderful. But the insurance wouldn't pay for it even though the doctor wrote a script for it. We bought one off Amazon. No kidding! It came in less time than ordering one locally.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

We had a lift chair for pur son after the car accident. It was wonderful. But the insurance wouldn't pay for it even though the doctor wrote a script for it. We bought one off Amazon. No kidding! It came in less time than ordering one locally.

Well, I was thinking FB Marketplace or Next Door sales, not a store.   Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

That sounds like a really good idea. I never thought of FB Marketplace.

Can I ask how much the one you found was?   And how comfortable it was?   My dad sleeps in his recliner so I want a comfy one.

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Can I ask how much the one you found was?   And how comfortable it was?   My dad sleeps in his recliner so I want a comfy one.

It was very comfortable for ds. And he spent about three months in it before being able to fully recline and sleep in his bed.  This is the one we bought. This would have been in 2014, and we paid $969.00 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K72V4MY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Locally the same thing was $2500.00 and not in stock so they had to order it, and then deliver it. Mark ordered the chair on the recommendation of the ortho surgeon after ds came out of surgery. He talked with an insurance rep for both medical and car insurance, and despite the script from the surgeon, there was no way in heck they were going to be forced to provide one. 😠 Ds was in the hospital for ten days so the chair arrived before he got home. I have no idea what anything comparable will cost now. We also then passed it on to my folks when my dad was dying of cancer. He spent the last year of his life in it, and it was a god send to caregivers because no one had to lift him to get him up and to the bathroom or commode.

• Thanks 1

Golden Technologies has a good reputation. I have one here. I don’t think it’s as comfortable as my wheelchair so I never use it, but DH has used it extensively since having major back surgery. 

ETA: This might be TMI but perhaps check into a condom cath? It’s what a lot of male ALS patients use. Potentially, it is not the slow get up that is causing accidents. He may be having neurological impairment which often comes with urinary urgency. It is the bane of my existence, unbelievably humiliating, and utterly out of controlling - and just plain weird. You don’t have to go until you have to GO! Then good luck. 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Golden Technologies has a good reputation. I have one here. I don’t think it’s as comfortable as my wheelchair so I never use it, but DH has used it extensively since having major back surgery. 

ETA: This might be TMI but perhaps check into a condom cath? It’s what a lot of male ALS patients use. Potentially, it is not the slow get up that is causing accidents. He may be having neurological impairment which often comes with urinary urgency. It is the bane of my existence, unbelievably humiliating, and utterly out of controlling - and just plain weird. You don’t have to go until you have to GO! Then good luck. 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

He has had prostate issues and prostate surgery, I forgot the wording, but it was pre-cancerous.   That has caused a lot of his urinary issues.

• Like 1

He is now saying AGAIN that he wants to go into a nursing home facility, but he thinks I can take him there today.   I can't.   But I have some calls in and will investigate this week.

He is in a lot of pain and keeps saying the same things over and over.

• Sad 14

9 minutes ago, DawnM said:

He is now saying AGAIN that he wants to go into a nursing home facility, but he thinks I can take him there today.   I can't.   But I have some calls in and will investigate this week.

I am so sorry. Pain can do that to any of us, but in the elderly it just takes over. I hope.he can get some relief soon!

• Like 2

So sorry Dawn! 

We just got my dad a motorized chair.  We did pay more and bought it from a medical supply store we like about 45 minutes away.  I took DH so he could sit it in and make sure it was big enough.  He also spends all day in his chair.  We got a faux leather one and we spent over $2K though.  He didn't like it at first, but he is doing well with it now.  We bought an extra pad (it matches his chair) to put down for if he had any accidents that is washable.

As for condom catheters, you should give it a try.  We have been pushing for my dad to get one since September.  He was a no go, but he just recently agreed to try it.  Me and a caregiver had to try the various size "condoms" on him and that was not a good experience for any of us 🤪.  No daughter should have to try a condom on her dad!  Anyway, we are on hold for that at the moment.  At a minimum, your dad needs to be wearing an adult diaper so he doesn't mess his pants and everywhere else.  The Depends will go on like underwear (that he is wearing anyway) and they have tear away sides to them to make it easy to get off.    

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

He has had prostate issues and prostate surgery, I forgot the wording, but it was pre-cancerous.   That has caused a lot of his urinary issues.

This is very common for men his age. 

I hope he (all of you!) is relieved to know the cancer has not returned. Hopefully you can get his pain under control. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

Something to keep in mind, that may or may not be a factor here - hospital delirium versus dementia. These are two different things. The experience of being treated in the hospital and pain/pain management can generate a lot of confusion for an elder that is not necessarily permanent dementia. I do hope he’s able to get settled comfortably somewhere before too long. 

Hugs to you, Dawn, caring for another like this is not for sissies. You’re doing a good job. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Resilient said:

We got one off Craigslist for $250. The owner was continent and just needed it to recover from back surgery. It was ver comfortable snd supportive. It was a lot better than the one we bought new for $1200.  

Awesome, what kind was it?

9 hours ago, mlktwins said:

So sorry Dawn! 

We just got my dad a motorized chair.  We did pay more and bought it from a medical supply store we like about 45 minutes away.  I took DH so he could sit it in and make sure it was big enough.  He also spends all day in his chair.  We got a faux leather one and we spent over $2K though.  He didn't like it at first, but he is doing well with it now.  We bought an extra pad (it matches his chair) to put down for if he had any accidents that is washable.

As for condom catheters, you should give it a try.  We have been pushing for my dad to get one since September.  He was a no go, but he just recently agreed to try it.  Me and a caregiver had to try the various size "condoms" on him and that was not a good experience for any of us 🤪No daughter should have to try a condom on her dad!  Anyway, we are on hold for that at the moment.  At a minimum, your dad needs to be wearing an adult diaper so he doesn't mess his pants and everywhere else.  The Depends will go on like underwear (that he is wearing anyway) and they have tear away sides to them to make it easy to get off.    

Nope, nope, never, not even for a minute, nope!   That is not even a consideration unless someone else does ALL of it and I don't know about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Nope, nope, never, not even for a minute, nope!   That is not even a consideration unless someone else does ALL of it and I don't know about it.

I did lol face but I also want to do hugging face.  This stuff is hard.  

• Like 1