Menu

Kindergarten Planning Thread 2022-2023

Momof4sweetkids

Share what you're planning for 22-23  kinder below!

For my DD,

Phonics: AAR 2

Handwriting: we tried HWT this year but I don't love that it doesn't have a top line so not sure we will continue next year. I may just follow their strokes in a primary notebook. Update: switched to TGTB and we both like it much better

Math: MM 1 done slowly with lots of board games thrown in

Bible: DH leads, no curriculum just various Bible storybooks

ETA: let's read and find out series for science

Edited by Momof3sweetgirls
  • Like 1

This is my son's second Kindergarten year because he was in K4. 

Phonics: Continue with AAR (we are currently on level 1).

Handwriting: We like HWOT so we'll continue with that.

Math: Singapore Primary Mathematics (We'll probably start level 1 before the end of the month. We'll just continue.)

Science: I'm going to switch over to SCI (Scientific Connections through Inquiry).

Bible: I don't know if both kids are ready for Telling God's Story or if we should just go through major stories of the Bible again. 

History: Continue on Notgrass Our Star-Spangled Story (just reading the textbook and doing some "writing" across curriculum).

Language Arts: We are holding off on formal spelling and grammar. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited to have a Kindergartener!   Focus on three things- phonics, handwriting,  and math.

Redoing this after one month- lots of changes!

AAR 1 with a few things from LoE and My First Nature Reader from TGATB, along with a few printouts from their free curriculum.  DD seems to be learning to read very quickly so I need extra stuff to keep her busy.

Handwriting without Tears, and the Kumon alphabet books. 

Primary Mathematics Kindergarten 2022.  Just received this and it looks perfect, very happy with the new edition!  Tried MwC and it was a bust, not for us.  She did a weeks worth of lessons a day, the pages weren't very colorful or engaging.  I wonder if we are weird for not liking it- it gets so many positive reviews!  I wouldn't recommend it at all. 

I'm not going to teach social studies or science from a program, but we will be reading lots of things!  

Edited by BusyMom5
Math changed again!
  • Like 2

We're just starting kindergarten with this:

- Phonics: Hooked on phonics level 3 (and then progress to level 4) + progressive phonics and Bob books for reading

- Handwriting: HWOT and just some copywork

- LA: lots of reading out loud including a Bellatrix Potter Collection, Winnie the Pooh, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.

- Math: Singapore Essential Math B + Evan Moor Skills Sharpener Math K (for spiral review) and then progress to Singapore Primary Mathematics 1A + Evan Moor Skills Sharpener Math 1st grade (for spiral review)

- Science: B&R kindergarten, aka space and nature study

But we're mostly focussing on reading, both for her to practice her phonics and us reading quality literature to her...

Edited by Tygridia
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll have 2 kindergartners in the fall - one daughter who is autistic and just turned 6 last week, and my younger daughter who turns 5 in July. Developmentally they’re pretty close together, so we decided to school them at the same level for now and see how it goes. Right now we’re doing Preschool from The Good and the Beautiful, and we’ll do Kinder prep during the summer.

Here’s what I have planned so far:

Math: Simply Good and Beautiful Math K

ELA: The Good and the Beautiful K (when the new one comes out), and I’m thinking Exploring the World Through Story A, as well as Zaner-Bloser handwriting K

History: Story of the World 1 (done with big sister, who will be in 3rd grade - the Kinders probably won’t do all the activities)

Science: mostly interest-led, but possibly joining big sister for BFSU/SCI, and I’m interested in the Science for Little Hearts and Hands - Fields and Flowers that’s coming out from TGATB.

That’s all I’ve got for now!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My little guy is turned 4 early September, so this is Jr. Kindergarten/K4. He's a very curious kid and likes to be included in school, but I don't want to rush it so I'm stretching these Kindy programs over 2 years.

Math: Alternating weeks of TGTB Math K and Wild Math K;, board games

Science: first half of Blossom & Root Level 0 Science, every other week; tagging along with big sisters B&R 4 Anatomy

Nature: first half of Blossom & Root Level 0, every other week; For the Love of Homeschooling Nature Study Club

Language Arts: We'll continue TGTB LA Preschool, then Blossom & Root Level 0; Bob Books

Social Studies: His siblings & I are doing a lot of social studies this year. I think he'll be most interested in the Canadian & World Geography, but it won't be required.

Edited by AsgardCA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Twin boys, newly 5

Phonics: Logic of English, finish up A and begin B

Math: Kindergarten Math with Confidence

Science: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding 

Geography: Core Knowledge units 

History: Begin Story of the World, mostly just read aloud + discussion.

LA: Plenty of read alouds, audiobooks and discussion 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Language: Logic of English B, audiobooks, read alouds and readers

Math: K Math with Confidence

Handwriting: Memoria Press Copybook 1

Science/History/Bible/Art/Music: Possibly MFW Ancients with older siblings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a second year of k for us since my daughter has an October bday

math: math mammoth 1 

la: TGTB K (the new one when it comes out) 

science: masterbooks k

social studies: masterbooks my story

bible: nothing official, just reading stories 

handwriting: HWOT 

We also just joined a co-op that meets once a week, so I’m excited about that. 

• Like 1

My 4 year old up and taught himself to read, and now I'm re-working his plan for next year. I don't want to officially grade skip him, but he's going to be doing some kindergarten level work in the fall. 

Get Ready for the Code/Get Set for the Code/Go for the Code

Learn how to write his name

Saxon K

OPGTR to reinforce phonics rules 

Tagging along with big brother for Bible/science/history 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter will be 6 in Sept so she's an older kinder, but we plan to do:

LA: Finish Learning Dynamics "4 weeks to read", then LOE B and C. TGATB for handwriting. 

Math: TGATB -- hit a few topics from level K but mostly level 1. 

Science: Little Hearts Little Hands and sit in on brother's science. 

History: Watch an episode of Liberty Kids each week plus library books on famous historical Americans. 

Bible: my own curriculum 

On 3/4/2022 at 4:49 PM, Clarita said:

This is my son's second Kindergarten year because he was in K4. 

Phonics: Continue with AAR (we are currently on level 1).

Handwriting: We like HWOT so we'll continue with that.

Math: Singapore Primary Mathematics (We'll probably start level 1 before the end of the month. We'll just continue.)

Science: I'm going to switch over to SCI (Scientific Connections through Inquiry).

Bible: I don't know if both kids are ready for Telling God's Story or if we should just go through major stories of the Bible again. 

History: Continue on Notgrass Our Star-Spangled Story (just reading the textbook and doing some "writing" across curriculum).

Language Arts: We are holding off on formal spelling and grammar. 

So update. We started Spelling Through Phonics because DS5 was trying to spell stuff.  

• 2 weeks later...

Our 6th born is a ker this year!

We are doing:

Phonics Pathways

Bob books and then early readers

CLE K2 workbooks...none of the activity ones and using Rod and Staff workbooks E to L. We will also finish the last of ETC ABC primers. Once we finish workbooks we will simply do copywork daily.

Number Stories and drill math facts

Daily outdoor time

Lots of games and puzzles

Readalouds every morning including Bible

A 90 minute Nursery time every evening for literature and on rainy days a board game a little earlier.

Enjoying this baby every day!  They grow way too fast!

Brenda

Edited by homemommy83
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...

My DD5 is very perfectionist and frustrates easily, so we're stearing away from anything that requires output and going with a lot of interest lead learning. The goal is to keep the pressure to a minimum. Some of the resources we're using:

Math: DD loves math so we explore it a lot through games and conversations. Our main vehicle for this is drawing numbers 1-100 with sidewalk chalk and hopping by 2s, 3s, 4s, etc. and talking about what we notice. We play store to practice with money and also enjoy a lot of board games like Pizza fractions and sum swamp. Some apps we're using for down time are Kahoot!, Mathland,  Mathmage, Montessori Math Monsters. Bed time is when she's most focused so we've been enjoying bedtime math and terrible times tables.

LA: She has a grasp of phonics, can write her name, but no strong interest in reading, so I'm waiting for that to develop a bit before we try to push anything. She enjoyed Teach Your Monster to Read until she hit a wall that I think she's not quite ready to leap over yet. She can technically read, but it was a lot of effort and not enjoyable to her. So for now we're just focusing on exposure to good liturature, as well as random educational games and shows like Super Why, Alphablocks etc. here and there.

Science: I bought BFSU, but can't see us getting into it until DD3 is a little older. We just do educational shows, science kits, board games like valence, semi-weekly visit to the museum, and plenty of nature walks.

Social Studies: we have Letters From Afar and Time Trekker Academy subscriptions to spark curiosity about geography and history and we have conversations about what we read each month.