Menu

Container gardening?

Carrie12345

Any great tips?

I have no idea what degree of success to expect. With fingers tightly crossed, we’re supposed to be able to move into the new house this summer, and we have a super short growing season.  There’s zero hope of planting in-ground this year. I guess if I work real hard, I can get some greens in in the fall, but that’s pretty much it.

I’m hoping to do a few potato plants and some onions, but I’m not sure what else to prioritize for a combination of nutrients, calories (so, potatoes, lol), abundance, AND most likely to survive a short trip in the car to a new location. So nothing that would typically need a lot of trellising.

I also haven’t decided what kind of soil to buy and/or mix.  We don’t have decent soil here. It’s mostly just clay and rocks. Big rocks!

don't have much experience with container veggie growing as it is so warm and dry and I have limited water. However. I have grown strawberries very successfully

I grow chili in big pots also capsicum

I know people who have had great success with leafy greens, silverbeet, lettuce etc.

Also know people who grow things like tomatoes in growbags very successfully. you could try the short varieties that don't need trellising 

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/vegetable/vegetables/growing-vegetables-in-containers/

• Like 1

I haven't been successful with container gardens here, (too darn hot), but do well with indoor, hydroponic growing. We had more tomatoes than I knew what to do with last summer. Microgreens, tomatoes, lettuce, herbs are all easy to grow indoors. I don't have my gardens going right now because I got burned out on fiddling with them. I might get them started again in light of all this *gestures broadly*

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I haven't been successful with container gardens here, (too darn hot), but do well with indoor, hydroponic growing. We had more tomatoes than I knew what to do with last summer. Microgreens, tomatoes, lettuce, herbs are all easy to grow indoors. I don't have my gardens going right now because I got burned out on fiddling with them. I might get them started again in light of all this *gestures broadly*

This is what I would be doing… if I had my basement already!!! 😞 
Or at least starting with grow lights and dirt. *Something to make the space productive.  Instead, I’m sitting in my cramped little house full of boxes. It is SO frustrating.

Over the next few weekends, I’m going to attempt to clear some scrub brush at the new house to see if it’s at all possible to get a fruit tree or two in the way-back yard, but I don’t have high hopes. (By way-back, I just mean farther than they cleared for construction. So 40-50’ back.) Our front yard seems like it will be ideal for berry bushes, but there’s still a bunch of dirt moving to be done, so that’s a big nope.

I DO think I may be able to get some decent summer greens in front of windows this summer, based on the way I think the sun hits, but I’ve only been seeing the winter angle. Not 100% certain how the higher summer sun will hit. (I mean, I have a decent idea, lol, but we’ll see.)