Menu

SOTW coloring pages

Legomom

I love the coloring pages but my boys (age 8) only color them partially and say that is the way they like them. My vision is that the pages should be completely and neatly colored. Should I push this or allow for their artistic (and I suspect a bit lazy) freedom?

The pages make such a nice addition to their history binders but unfortunately they just don't look nice right now. I always think of coloring as being a "fun" activity so I haven't made a big deal out of it. Any thoughts or ideas?

Well, I am probably more strict than most, but I expect my dd to finish her coloring pages for history and science. It is acceptable if she opts out of doing a coloring page (she does now and then because the picture doesn't interest her), but if she chooses to do the coloring I require that it is finished neatly and completely. I remind her that these coloring pages are for school work and just like for any other school work, I require her to do her best. I've stuck with this long enough that she now knows not to start a page that she has no intention of finishing properly. On the flip side, if the coloring page is just for fun then it is of no concern to me if it is finished or not.

I'm hoping that I am teaching her perseverence and diligence through this rather than just being the meanest mommy around.:tongue_smilie:

I allow for artistic (and lazy) freedom. I see the coloring pages as mainly a way to keep hands busy while I am reading the chapter aloud. Secondary to that, they offer an coordinating image with the chapter, but I think that is accomplished regardless of whether or not they are colored "fully." If she chooses to color, I do ask that she do her best work, not just scribble.

If she hasn't finished a coloring page by the time I have finished reading the chapter, I don't stress. She can finish it later if she wishes, but it's not that important to me.

I'd love for someone to chime in and tell me what I'm missing, but I don't see a lot of academic or artistic value in coloring pages.

I split the difference. I used to let them have all the freedom they wanted in coloring - until the potty humor started coming out on their coloring pages. :) Now I pick one coloring page per chapter that they each must color appropriately and carefully. The rest they can do with as they wish. I think you are right that they need to learn that what goes in their history notebook must be good, careful work, not pure garbage. That said, I don't critique the coloring much. As long as they tried to do a good job, I don't nitpick.

I'm not picky about coloring pages. As long as my child enjoys the coloring that he does and is occupied while I am reading aloud, I don't mind much what the page looks like when he's finished coloring. Sometimes he is not interested in coloring and that is okay with me. I might print him out a few simple mazes or put out the play-doh for a change of pace.