Menu

Video games for reluctant reader

Lecka

This is for my 13-year-old.  He continues to be a very reluctant reader even though he has made some good progress lately 🙂

The games are 60 Seconds and 60 Parsecs.  They have got a lot of reading and he likes them enough to read in order to play!

I have heard Pokémon is this way for younger kids, but he aged out of Pokémon (probably because of siblings as much as anything) without being able to read well enough to play Pokémon.  

He is self-motivated to do the reading in these games and does ask about words sometimes — which he is often extremely resistant about doing.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 10:22 AM, Lecka said:

This is for my 13-year-old.  He continues to be a very reluctant reader even though he has made some good progress lately 🙂

The games are 60 Seconds and 60 Parsecs.  They have got a lot of reading and he likes them enough to read in order to play!

I have heard Pokémon is this way for younger kids, but he aged out of Pokémon (probably because of siblings as much as anything) without being able to read well enough to play Pokémon.  

He is self-motivated to do the reading in these games and does ask about words sometimes — which he is often extremely resistant about doing.  

I mean to reply to this a long time ago to say, this is AWESOME!! What a huge win. Yay!!!!!!!

• Like 1

This came up earlier today…. He is just less resistant to reading and doesn’t say he hates reading anymore.  

There have been other factors but this has just been such a big one, and it was unexpected!

Edited by Lecka

• 9 months later...