Menu

PSA- Macbook keyboard issues

DawnM

UPDATE:   I got it fixed from Apple for free!   It feels like a brand new computer!

OP:

I have been suffering with issues with my Macbook keyboard (keys not responding, keys feeling sticky, and some keys typing twice) for a while.   It drives me crazy but I didn't want to pay huge amounts to get it fixed.

Turns out, it is a known issue and Apple will fix it for free with a new keyboard.

If your Mac was purchased within the last 4 years and is within the years listed, you can get a new keyboard.

I have a 2017 but I purchased it in Sept of '18, so I qualified.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had one that fell under this issue and it is a very real problem.  It took a HUGE fight with Apple to get it covered and fixed, but worth it in the end.  In our case, we had to go above the "Apple-Approved" shop that said it was "liquid damage."  We knew for 100% sure it was not due to the nature of what the machine was used for.   We had to go straight through Apple and it took time.   

Just reading the title I remember a couple weeks ago reading the chat board, mug of mocha in hand, labrador deciding that hand should be petting her and she got her nose up under my elbow, sloshing the mocha a bit. Got the liquid off pretty quickly and no damage yet! It was more on the mouse pad thing--not in the keys. Everything works. But yeah, $780 is almost a new computer.

Edited by Ali in OR

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Well, update.   They say they found some liquid damage in the keyboard and that voids the repair.

UGH!   

Trying to determine what to do at this point.   It is a $780 repair, so I will NOT be repairing it.

Since yours is otherwise out of warranty anyway, you could open it up and carefully clean the sticky areas. You would want to YouTube it first if you’ve never done it before. Some of the newer ones are trickier with these little wire cable things that are fussy to reconnect before closing it back up, so you’d want to understand what was involved before making a decision to do it. 

7 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

This has been happening to me for the past few months - I thought it was my typing skills were failing! Mine was bought in early 2017. 🤨 At least now I know it isn't just me getting old, lol.

You could check your MacBook model against the list 
https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

7 hours ago, DawnM said:

Well, update.   They say they found some liquid damage in the keyboard and that voids the repair.

It took us 5 trips to Apple stores to get my iPhone 6 repaired under the battery recall program. We live near quite a few Apple stores so we just keep dropping by and bugging them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Ds had a flickering Touch Bar he had replaced under warranty this past month. They did warn us about water damage, but none was found, and the replacement went smoothly. We went straight to the genius bar in the Apple store rather than an approved third party.

Apple is a ways away and they had no openings.  I will try again.

Edited by DawnM

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

You could check your MacBook model against the list 
https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

It took us 5 trips to Apple stores to get my iPhone 6 repaired under the battery recall program. We live near quite a few Apple stores so we just keep dropping by and bugging them. 

How did you do that?   You mean you just kept asking and asking and getting No responses until you finally got a yes?

24 minutes ago, DawnM said:

How did you do that?   You mean you just kept asking and asking and getting No responses until you finally got a yes?

We keep asking their customer service to verify why my iPhone board was fried since my phone was under the recall. The screen is blank but iTunes on their MacBook could detect the general info of my iPhone. So my case log just got longer and longer, and we won’t offered any solution. In the end they decided to give me a replacement phone for $15.

I have three Apple stores within 20 miles though, and one of the stores is walking distance away from my doctors’ offices.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...