Menu

Wanna help design a powder room?

Carrie12345

I have zero decorating confidence, so my plan is to work on the powder and laundry rooms first. I figure if they come out awful, they won’t be too horrible to re-do (and I can just live with a weird laundry room.)

We’ll be starting with a black vanity and white sink/countertop, and brushed nickel faucet/pulls/door lever. And brushed nickel vanity lighting, if I’m remembering right! I’m open to changing the fixtures, but our builder was unable to secure black door hinges, so all hinges and levers in the house are brushed nickel, and I’d like to keep them matching until “someday”.  We asked them not to hang any mirrors anywhere in the house so we could shop for our own and not have to repair anything from a previous installation. Oh, and white door/trim. Mid-dark ‘wood’ LVP.

It’s a simple layout, with the door in the middle, toilet to one side, sink to the other. Window opposite door.
I like easy to clean, hard to collect dust.  So, while I love wainscoting, fancy moldings, and all that neat stuff, I’m hesitant to do any of that. But Ihaven’t ruled it out.
I have an aversion to patterned or dark reflections in a mirror. I can’t explain why.

Attaching inspiration pics. I’m more partial to the “nature” print than the bold one, for sure.

520CA973-96A0-4478-B647-036C0D6E6A35.jpeg

EC7BAE30-F45D-4F63-9F5A-F961D8EF177C.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve been working on this, too—for FOUR bathrooms—and it’s HARD. I have nothing to offer, because I can’t even handle the pressure of designing my own. But I found this blog post  about mixing metals very freeing and inspiring. We went with black hardware for the doors and cabinets and brushed nickel for the plumbing. Still choosing fixtures, lighting, mirrors.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

I’ve been working on this, too—for FOUR bathrooms—and it’s HARD. I have nothing to offer, because I can’t even handle the pressure of designing my own. But I found this blog post  about mixing metals very freeing and inspiring. We went with black hardware for the doors and cabinets and brushed nickel for the plumbing. Still choosing fixtures, lighting, mirrors.

I have saved this blog to peruse later.  It looks very cool.  I so so want to learn how to make my house pretty.

@Carrie12345 the cutest powder room I ever saw was my sisters from around 2010.  So probably way out of style. It was animal prints and had some wall paper and painted safari animals.  You seem to like a calmer look though.

Just now, wintermom said:

Though the sample you included are cute, I could never go back to wall paper. It's such a PIA to remove. I much prefer paint and decor (pictures, plants, etc.) to add interest to a room. 

Wall paper is making a comeback for sure.  In LR a painter we know and tried to hire for my in-laws build says he is full time wallpapering and has no time for painting.  There is a entire generation out there who has never had to spend weeks removing wallpaper or even having to completely resheetrock because it was coming off in chunks.  

Dh does inform me that wallpaper can be applied in a way that it comes off easily.  

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Wall paper is making a comeback for sure.  In LR a painter we know and tried to hire for my in-laws build says he is full time wallpapering and has no time for painting.  There is a entire generation out there who has never had to spend weeks removing wallpaper or even having to completely resheetrock because it was coming off in chunks.  

Dh does inform me that wallpaper can be applied in a way that it comes off easily.  

It is definitely making a comeback, but I think that you are exactly right that those who are choosing wallpaper have never been through the ordeal of removing it. I will never, ever put up wall paper even though I do think it can be used tastefully to add a really cute pop of color or design. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

It is definitely making a comeback, but I think that you are exactly right that those who are choosing wallpaper have never been through the ordeal of removing it. I will never, ever put up wall paper even though I do think it can be used tastefully to add a really cute pop of color or design. 

My whole house is wallpaper (1880, w/ horsehair plaster walls).  It was wallpapered when we moved in, and we stripped and replaced all of it, and have redone one of the rooms.

Sizing, people, sizing. Very fortunately the previous owners used it, and so did we. Stripping it was NBD.  Prepare the surface properly, and it's really not a problem to remove.

And it lasts if you use quality wallpaper.  The one room we redid was one I'd originally intended to paint, but the old wallpaper guy told me the on room I'd thought to paint still really did need wallpaper because horsehair plaster (we stripped and sized, but hired a professional to install) - so I ran out and got something off the shelf rather than ordering from the books. The rest is holding up great almost 30 years later.

30 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Though the sample you included are cute, I could never go back to wall paper. It's such a PIA to remove. I much prefer paint and decor (pictures, plants, etc.) to add interest to a room. 

I am firmly anti-standard-wallpaper based entirely on watching my parents remove it when I was single digits. Core memory! But there are some AMAZING peel and stick removable options out there. For a tiny room I might change more than once, they seem perfect. 

I like the nature background of your print. 

I just watched this video yesterday and it has an example of a dated brass vs. a newer brass. 

I think black and white are classic and using a brass would warm it up while a silver/chrome would make it more modern style. 

In a small bathroom, shapes and textures are important. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

@Scarlett Not my style, BUT it makes me think of framed print panels as an option to bring in neat patterns without the expense or work of wallpaper.

Hm. Imagine the seasonal decor options that could open up!

And cheap too if you are willing to make them yourself. I have done that two different times. One was with cheap Styrofoam craft boards roughly 2" thick, and then I bought fabric I liked and covered them. Another time with craft balsa wood ply covers first with poly fiber fill for a little lumpiness, and then covered with fabric.

One time I had to decorate an area with huge, long, white walls for a Christmas wedding. At the time, 4'x8' sheets of foam insulation board were dirt cheap. I bought commercial size rolls of beautiful wrapping paper that coordinated with the bride's colors and covered them. There were existing wall hangings (nails and such) that the facility took down, and I used fishing wire secured to the back of the panels, and hung them just like framed photos. They were gorgeous, and really brought the room to life without a huge expense.

• Like 2

I don’t have suggestions, but I think the first picture is so pretty! And definitely add some green. 

eta: if you went with a neutral, painted wall, I think some botanical prints might look really good with your vanity/colors. Maybe something like this?

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2